Baroness Warsi

Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:50 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baroness Warsi

Selected gist:

It is wrong for non-Muslims to classify Muslims as either moderate or extremist.

Muslims groups should socially reject and alienate Muslims who commit criminal or terrorist acts.

That's a pretty fine distinction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baroness Warsi

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Selected gist:

It is wrong for non-Muslims to classify Muslims as either moderate or extremist.

Muslims groups should socially reject and alienate Muslims who commit criminal or terrorist acts.

That's a pretty fine distinction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237
"In extracts of the speech, published in the Daily Telegraph, the peer blames "the patronising, superficial way faith is discussed in certain quarters, including the media", for making Britain a less tolerant place for believers."

I am a little suspicious of the motives of people who call the members of a specific faith, in this instance Islam, believers , as it suggests that members of different faiths are "non -believers".
And of course it could also be discussed why people suggest that Britain is not tolerant to members of, in this instance, Islam.
I think Britain is THE MOST tolerant place for Muslims outside an Islamic country. In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The irony is that what Lady Warsi said can easily be applied to how Christianity is treated in Britain by the modern day leftist/PC establishment.

To offer a different perspective, I'm impressed at how easily Indian Sikhs and Hindus have integrated into modern Britain and the reason for this is two-fold: they don't place demands on British society, actually, they seem to admire and respect British traditions, and second, they keep their religions to themselves. This fits in with the lack of a strong tradition of proselytisation in Britain.

While Warsi has her points, the reason why mainstream British society continues to have problems with many Muslims in the country is because of a large a core group of Muslims who openly criticise, attack and reject British society. If there is any reform it has to come from within that group, not from Britain.

Originally Posted by Alexa
"In extracts of the speech, published in the Daily Telegraph, the peer blames "the patronising, superficial way faith is discussed in certain quarters, including the media", for making Britain a less tolerant place for believers."

I am a little suspicious of the motives of people who call the members of a specific faith, in this instance Islam, believers , as it suggests that members of different faiths are "non -believers".
And of course it could also be discussed why people suggest that Britain is not tolerant to members of, in this instance, Islam.
I think Britain is THE MOST tolerant place for Muslims outside an Islamic country. In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The irony is that what Lady Warsi said can easily be applied to how Christianity is treated in Britain by the modern day leftist/PC establishment.

To offer a different perspective, I'm impressed at how easily Indian Sikhs and Hindus have integrated into modern Britain and the reason for this is two-fold: they don't place demands on British society, actually, they seem to admire and respect British traditions, and second, they keep their religions to themselves. This fits in with the lack of a strong tradition of proselytisation in Britain.

While Warsi has her points, the reason why mainstream British society continues to have problems with many Muslims in the country is because of a large a core group of Muslims who openly criticise, attack and reject British society. If there is any reform it has to come from within that group, not from Britain.
100% agree, you said it much better than I could!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:26 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Well put
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Some excellent points in the above posts , The Sikh/Hindu community have embraced the U.K over the past 30 years and have become really valuable members of the community , it's a shame all that gets lost in the present situation of today.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:45 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
... In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.
Unfortunately, bending over forwards may be a better analogy, leaving the UK rather prone to being figuratively s*****d up the a**e
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ctfc
Unfortunately, bending over forwards may be a better analogy, leaving the UK rather prone to being figuratively s*****d up the a**e
Yup.