British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Baroness Warsi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/baroness-warsi-701539/)

Bahtatboy Jan 20th 2011 11:50 am

Baroness Warsi

Selected gist:

It is wrong for non-Muslims to classify Muslims as either moderate or extremist.

Muslims groups should socially reject and alienate Muslims who commit criminal or terrorist acts.

That's a pretty fine distinction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237

Alexa Jan 21st 2011 11:39 am

Re: Baroness Warsi

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9115763)
Selected gist:

It is wrong for non-Muslims to classify Muslims as either moderate or extremist.

Muslims groups should socially reject and alienate Muslims who commit criminal or terrorist acts.

That's a pretty fine distinction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237

"In extracts of the speech, published in the Daily Telegraph, the peer blames "the patronising, superficial way faith is discussed in certain quarters, including the media", for making Britain a less tolerant place for believers."

I am a little suspicious of the motives of people who call the members of a specific faith, in this instance Islam, believers , as it suggests that members of different faiths are "non -believers".
And of course it could also be discussed why people suggest that Britain is not tolerant to members of, in this instance, Islam.
I think Britain is THE MOST tolerant place for Muslims outside an Islamic country. In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.

Ethos83 Jan 21st 2011 1:12 pm

The irony is that what Lady Warsi said can easily be applied to how Christianity is treated in Britain by the modern day leftist/PC establishment.

To offer a different perspective, I'm impressed at how easily Indian Sikhs and Hindus have integrated into modern Britain and the reason for this is two-fold: they don't place demands on British society, actually, they seem to admire and respect British traditions, and second, they keep their religions to themselves. This fits in with the lack of a strong tradition of proselytisation in Britain.

While Warsi has her points, the reason why mainstream British society continues to have problems with many Muslims in the country is because of a large a core group of Muslims who openly criticise, attack and reject British society. If there is any reform it has to come from within that group, not from Britain.

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9118167)
"In extracts of the speech, published in the Daily Telegraph, the peer blames "the patronising, superficial way faith is discussed in certain quarters, including the media", for making Britain a less tolerant place for believers."

I am a little suspicious of the motives of people who call the members of a specific faith, in this instance Islam, believers , as it suggests that members of different faiths are "non -believers".
And of course it could also be discussed why people suggest that Britain is not tolerant to members of, in this instance, Islam.
I think Britain is THE MOST tolerant place for Muslims outside an Islamic country. In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.

Alexa Jan 21st 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9118338)
The irony is that what Lady Warsi said can easily be applied to how Christianity is treated in Britain by the modern day leftist/PC establishment.

To offer a different perspective, I'm impressed at how easily Indian Sikhs and Hindus have integrated into modern Britain and the reason for this is two-fold: they don't place demands on British society, actually, they seem to admire and respect British traditions, and second, they keep their religions to themselves. This fits in with the lack of a strong tradition of proselytisation in Britain.

While Warsi has her points, the reason why mainstream British society continues to have problems with many Muslims in the country is because of a large a core group of Muslims who openly criticise, attack and reject British society. If there is any reform it has to come from within that group, not from Britain.

100% agree, you said it much better than I could!

Meow Jan 22nd 2011 8:26 am

Well put

co durham boy Jan 22nd 2011 1:58 pm

Some excellent points in the above posts , The Sikh/Hindu community have embraced the U.K over the past 30 years and have become really valuable members of the community , it's a shame all that gets lost in the present situation of today.

ctfc Jan 23rd 2011 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9118167)
... In fact, I think they are bending over backwards...literally.

Unfortunately, bending over forwards may be a better analogy, leaving the UK rather prone to being figuratively s*****d up the a**e :thumbdown:

Alexa Jan 23rd 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 9121972)
Unfortunately, bending over forwards may be a better analogy, leaving the UK rather prone to being figuratively s*****d up the a**e :thumbdown:

Yup.:rofl: