Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world!

Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world!

Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnasty - 6th best beach bar in world!

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
One day I was in there just after it opened and Red was there organising the placement of speakers etc. Looks like he may still be there after Ramadan? Think I first saw him in Billy Blues years ago!

Guess you could add Humphreys, Dubai Country Club, Arif Castle pubs and some of the joints in The Imperial Suites to that list?
Don't remember Humphrey's - have I missed much?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

All this "dark side" talk is putting me In the mood for a night out in Bur Dubai. Been ages for me. Last time I took my dad to jockeys and the York. He was visibly shaken.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
All this "dark side" talk is putting me In the mood for a night out in Bur Dubai. Been ages for me. Last time I took my dad to jockeys and the York. He was visibly shaken.
Many years ago, I took my dad for a saunter through Bur Dubai. I don't think it was what he really expected of Dubai...
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:53 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Assume Pancho villa's, TGI Thursday and the bar round the corner in the ambassador hotel are still going strong.

Waxy's is closed,yea?
I've got a Pancho Villa's T-shirt which says on the back 'Come Play Ball With Me'. I gave it to Mrs.Janx, who has longish hair. Unfortunately, due to the length of her hair, it read 'Ball With Me'...Umm, if I might suggest.....
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:56 pm
banned

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Many years ago, I took my dad for a saunter through Bur Dubai. I don't think it was what he really expected of Dubai...
Those were the days. Early 90's berthed in Jebel Ali which was a whole desert away from Dubai. Head into Dubai (never needed to tell the taxi driver what part...there really was only one part with bars)

Head to the Astoria and the ambassador, few pints, KFC then go and buy loads of the Thomson Original fake cassettes. Then head to the highland lodge for a fight with Royal Marines. Good old bad old days
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those were the days. Early 90's berthed in Jebel Ali which was a whole desert away from Dubai. Head into Dubai (never needed to tell the taxi driver what part...there really was only one part with bars)

Head to the Astoria and the ambassador, few pints, KFC then go and buy loads of the Thomson Original fake cassettes. Then head to the highland lodge for a fight with Royal Marines. Good old bad old days
Yep, bringing back happy days. The Thompson Originals were great. They were originals as there would be a track or two missing...and the 'raw' part of Dubai was always more fun. You never knew what to expect, but usually it would be a laugh.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:02 pm
banned

I've got a Pancho Villa's T-shirt which says on the back 'Come Play Ball With Me'. I gave it to Mrs.Janx, who has longish hair. Unfortunately, due to the length of her hair, it read 'Ball With Me'...Umm, if I might suggest.....
Brilliant. We were banned from there on 93 because some louts on HMS Coventry who we replaced on armilla patrol had got in a fight and threw the dwarf down the stairs.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brilliant. We were banned from there on 93 because some louts on HMS Coventry who we replaced on armilla patrol had got in a fight and threw the dwarf down the stairs.
Why am I not suprised?!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Waxy's is closed,yea?
Yeah - Waxy's is closed - forgot to mention that one............
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Having had a quick rootle about, they were not 'Thompson' copies, but 'Thompsun' copies, with the pale blue spines...!

Last edited by OleJanx; Jul 13th 2013 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:25 pm
banned

Having had a quick rootle about, they were not 'Thompson' copies, but 'Thompsun' copies, with the pale blue spines...!
Yea, ha. Nice one you are right. I have an old pussers suitcase full of old naval tat, I'm sure I have a thompsun original deacon blue tape stowed away for a very rainy day.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
Don't remember Humphrey's - have I missed much?
It was the bar in the original Hilton Hotel, next to Trade Centre. Knocked down to make way for the Trade Centre or Dubai World Trade Centre apartment block or whatever it is called. It was my local for 15+ years.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

BinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
It was the bar in the original Hilton Hotel, next to Trade Centre. Knocked down to make way for the Trade Centre or Dubai World Trade Centre apartment block or whatever it is called. It was my local for 15+ years.
And beside where 'The Establishment' the reisdent band (early 80s?) wrote and sang 'Life In The Emirates'. (chorus: Sharjah, Fujeirah and Uuuuuuumalquwain - for those that remember it!). I don't remember what the bar was called where the Establishment sang, probably just the hotel lounge, as it were.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah yes............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.