British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bar Overpricing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bar-overpricing-807877/)

mentalist Sep 1st 2013 3:16 pm

Bar Overpricing

Just had a small can of Sprite as I was driving and was charged Dhs30 for the privilege in a Bur Dubai hotel bar. A full pint of lager is the same price. Does this seem fair? Next time I won't be buying any pub food to accompany my soft drink as its a rip-off. Any views other than have a beer and take a taxi home. I'm not leaving my car in Bur Dubai overnight.

shiva Sep 1st 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Bar Overpricing

Do you ever not complain about how much shit costs?

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 1st 2013 4:20 pm

Taxi both ways?

Brains1983 Sep 1st 2013 4:34 pm

I'm not going to call you a miserable **** or tight bastard incase I get anothet telling off from a mod sounding like vowel...

Fossildog Sep 1st 2013 4:43 pm

30 AED for a can of sprite that costs 1.5 AED is obscene. When I am driving I usually get a lime and soda which is cheaper and you can generally get a pint of it, although some bars only sell soda in cans which can push the price up.

mentalist Sep 1st 2013 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 10880668)
30 AED for a can of sprite that costs 1.5 AED is obscene. When I am driving I usually get a lime and soda which is cheaper and you can generally get a pint of it, although some bars only sell soda in cans which can push the price up.

Thank you for the sympathetic response. It's the first and last time I have ever bought soda in a bar, hence the shock. They even served it in a can, accompanied by a glass of ice. Couldn't get a taxi both ways as I went straight from work. Getting a taxi can be a nightmare in itself. At least I was compensated by the enjoyment of watching Manure get beaten. The local rags were not a happy bunch.

Spugsy Sep 1st 2013 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10880689)
Thank you for the sympathetic response. It's the first and last time I have ever bought soda in a bar, hence the shock. They even served it in a can, accompanied by a glass of ice. Couldn't get a taxi both ways as I went straight from work. Getting a taxi can be a nightmare in itself. At least I was compensated by the enjoyment of watching Manure get beaten. The local rags were not a happy bunch.

I went to buy two bottles of water at WTC before footy last week and they only had Evian, which was AED 8 rather than AED 1 for the local stuff and I told them to forget it.

Ethos83 Sep 1st 2013 5:52 pm

It was probably a mistake. Did you not complain to the manager and demand a refund?

I paid between 10 - 15 AED for a can of coke in a typical hotel bar in New Dubai.

30 AED for a shite hotel in Bur Dubai.... even that is stretching it.

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10880556)
Just had a small can of Sprite as I was driving and was charged Dhs30 for the privilege in a Bur Dubai hotel bar. A full pint of lager is the same price. Does this seem fair? Next time I won't be buying any pub food to accompany my soft drink as its a rip-off. Any views other than have a beer and take a taxi home. I'm not leaving my car in Bur Dubai overnight.

Millhouse Sep 1st 2013 6:33 pm

At least it was a can Mentalist and not post-mix.

Ally Pally in AD used to be 19AED for a can of coke, 21AED for a pint of beer. Stupid.

I'm not surprised at 30AED for a coke when it's 38AED for a beer. Doesn't make it right.

Kix Sep 1st 2013 7:43 pm

Which bar? 30 is the price for a spirit and mixer.

commander Sep 2nd 2013 2:13 am

You are right to be pissed off. That is just a rip off. No wonder people drink and drive.

Anyway, fizzy soft drinks are so bad for you, you are in essence paying over the top to self harm:D

Order a nice fresh orange and soda or something alternative.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 2nd 2013 3:24 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10881172)
You are right to be pissed off. That is just a rip off. No wonder people drink and drive.

Anyway, fizzy soft drinks are so bad for you, you are in essence paying over the top to self harm:D

Order a nice fresh orange and soda or something alternative.

:rollseyes:

Meow Sep 2nd 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10880730)
It was probably a mistake. Did you not complain to the manager and demand a refund?

I paid between 10 - 15 AED for a can of coke in a typical hotel bar in New Dubai.

30 AED for a shite hotel in Bur Dubai.... even that is stretching it.

That's even more than the Jumeirah hotels charge!

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 2nd 2013 5:53 am

Worst soft drink to buy is a pint of OJ and lemonade, never less than 30.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10881335)
That's even more than the Jumeirah hotels charge!

I think he has been overcharged for sure, as Kix said that is a short and mixer price.

co durham boy Sep 2nd 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10880838)
Which bar? 30 is the price for a spirit and mixer.

The York

Meow Sep 2nd 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10881359)
I think he has been overcharged for sure, as Kix said that is a short and mixer price.

Surely the Meantalist (sic) would have challenged the price?

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10881581)
Surely the Meantalist (sic) would have challenged the price?

he is behaving out of character

Sandboy Sep 2nd 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10881543)
The York

might explain it if he asked how much for a 7up

commander Sep 2nd 2013 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10881223)
:rollseyes:

Just sayin.

commander Sep 2nd 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10881646)
might explain it if he asked how much for a 7up

Bravo!...

Kix Sep 2nd 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10881543)
The York

You were there too?

Did you go halfies on a darky? (Can I say that)?

mentalist Sep 2nd 2013 4:24 pm

For those interested, it was the Players Lounge at the Country Club Hotel. Yes I demanded to see the bar manager and thereafter the customer services manager. Both were apologetical but said that the price was fixed by the hotel and could not be reduced. For those saying I'm tight fisted, I have just paid Dhs700 for two tickets to Selena Gomez for my wife and daughter. A complete waste of money in my eyes but anything to keep my lovely ladies happy.:)

commander Sep 3rd 2013 12:52 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10882022)
For those interested, it was the Players Lounge at the Country Club Hotel. Yes I demanded to see the bar manager and thereafter the customer services manager. Both were apologetical but said that the price was fixed by the hotel and could not be reduced. For those saying I'm tight fisted, I have just paid Dhs700 for two tickets to Selena Gomez for my wife and daughter. A complete waste of money in my eyes but anything to keep my lovely ladies happy.:)

Fair play. I'm going to sandance on the 1000aed a skull tickets. HAD to buy them. Completely can't be ****ed as I'm racing the next morning. First world problems eh?!

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2013 4:57 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10882022)

That place, when the live band is on, is a quality little venue.

Full of old paedophiles norma...oh, sorry Mentalist.

shiva Sep 3rd 2013 5:07 am

Bars overcharge for soft drinks. Global problem that's not even slightly fair but as they are private businesses they can charge whatever the hell they want.

Norm_uk Sep 3rd 2013 5:43 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10882818)
Bars overcharge for soft drinks. Global problem that's not even slightly fair but as they are private businesses they can charge whatever the hell they want.

As long as people are stupid enough to keep paying they'll keep charging. Free markets are a wonderful thing. At least the Bar Owner can keep up the Ferrari payments and private school fees for the little ones.

N.

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2013 6:27 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10882818)

with no repeat business

shiva Sep 3rd 2013 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10882899)
with no repeat business

Bars have never and probably will never care about patrons who don't drink alcohol.
When was the last time someone went to a bar and drank 10 cokes and a few shots if oj?
They charge more because the designated drivers spend way way less of a night

Blue Cat Sep 3rd 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10882920)
Bars have never and probably will never care about patrons who don't drink alcohol.
When was the last time someone went to a bar and drank 10 cokes and a few shots if oj?

I see your point but charging more than a 5 star hotel on the beach is absolutely crazy

Meow Sep 3rd 2013 6:58 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10882920)

That's daft as the mark up on soft drinks in massive. Back in the days when I worked in pubs, the LL liked soft drink sales for that reason.

jam25mack Sep 3rd 2013 7:03 am

Post mix drinks are the biggest profit maker in a bar.

We used to pay 17 quid for a box that makes 250 litres. Charge a highball (with ice) out at say 1 pound and the profits are obscene!

shiva Sep 3rd 2013 7:12 am

mark up is massive but i'd still bet the total profit on a non alcohol drinker is less than a drinker on any given night.

the more soft drinks you drink the less thirsty you feel, i've never suffered from that with booze unfortunately!

jam25mack Sep 3rd 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10882954)
mark up is massive but i'd still bet the total profit on a non alcohol drinker is less than a drinker on any given night.

the more soft drinks you drink the less thirsty you feel, i've never suffered from that with booze unfortunately!

Probably right. When I am driving I have less soft drinks than I would pints and leave a lot earlier that's for sure!