Banking Issue

Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking Issue

When trying to generate a telephone PIN number just now, I was asked several "routine security questions" by HSBC. The first was my passport number. Does anybody know that off the top of their head? The second was how many standing orders do I have. Got that one right. Finally they asked me for the date when my last bank card was issued. Well, both my debit and credit cards show the date of expiry but not the date of issue. I guessed, but wrong again. Why don't banks ask sensible security questions???
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:19 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking Issue

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Why don't banks ask sensible security questions???
And how long have you lived here???
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

When trying to generate a telephone PIN number just now, I was asked several "routine security questions" by HSBC. The first was my passport number. Does anybody know that off the top of their head? The second was how many standing orders do I have. Got that one right. Finally they asked me for the date when my last bank card was issued. Well, both my debit and credit cards show the date of expiry but not the date of issue. I guessed, but wrong again. Why don't banks ask sensible security questions???
write them down!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

yep they asked me when I opened my account, I had no idea.

Also they texted me today to say my residency visa is almost up and I have to contact them - any idea (meow for example) if they will close my account if I don't have a residency visa?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
yep they asked me when I opened my account, I had no idea. Also they texted me today to say my residency visa is almost up and I have to contact them - any idea (meow for example) if they will close my account if I don't have a residency visa?
Sorry but I think they close accounts automatically the residency visa expires. You really need to get that issue resolved, sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
write them down!
Write what down? They change the questions willy nilly, apparently. Last time I called them, they just wanted my date of birth, number of accounts held and whether I have a loan. Simple enough, but this time they have added some new ones. They ought to do what most overseas banks do and let you choose suitable questions/answers like city of birth, maiden name of mother and favourite Newcastle Utd player, for example.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I think they close accounts automatically the residency visa expires. You really need to get that issue resolved, sooner rather than later.
not so sure about that, how come people who aren't resident here have bank accounts still open? I know some who have left yet still have bank accounts open, if there is no debts there should be no issue and I am pretty sure he is ok on that part
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Banks do not automatically close an account if you do not provide a residency visa. They do have the right to ask but I haven't bothered to give them a copy of my new one. But I don't have any debts.

Banks in the UAE have so far to go...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:02 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Banks do not automatically close an account if you do not provide a residency visa. They do have the right to ask but I haven't bothered to give them a copy of my new one. But I don't have any debts.

Banks in the UAE have so far to go...
I have no debts either, or in fact any cahs going on, got about 80 Ds in there....
Old Jan 18th 2011, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Happy Birthday text from HSBC this year which I thought was very nice of them