British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bandwidth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bandwidth-790363/)

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 9:01 am

Bandwidth

Totally frustrated with BBC iPlayer--got 10 minutes into three different programmes last night, only for each one to give up the ghost and display "You have insufficient bandwidth to watch this programme". Not the first time.

I have 8mb Du internet. I reset (well, switched off and back on) my internet gear, iPad and computer. Same result.

Later on in the evening/night 4OD was working ok, so I guess a further factor could be timing (ie number of people on the 'net here).

Any ideas?

Millhouse Mar 13th 2013 9:09 am

Re: Bandwidth

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10600738)
Totally frustrated with BBC iPlayer--got 10 minutes into three different programmes last night, only for each one to give up the ghost and display "You have insufficient bandwidth to watch this programme". Not the first time.

I have 8mb Du internet. I reset (well, switched off and back on) my internet gear, iPad and computer. Same result.

Later on in the evening/night 4OD was working ok, so I guess a further factor could be timing (ie number of people on the 'net here).

Any ideas?

Change your VPN ... or better still don't use one

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10600751)
Change your VPN ... or better still don't use one

Ah, hadn't thought about the VPN. Mind you, internet seems really slow anyway (on my computer), but that could be to do with the virus software issue.

How do I watch BBC iPlayer without a VPN?

Millsyisland Mar 13th 2013 9:27 am

I too have been experiencing buffering issues recently (including frustratingly during the Six Nations), but have particular issues with the iPlayer which I find buffers more than the ITV player and 4OD.

The non-VPN approach being suggested by Millhouse relates to the DNS settings, but I have tried this with two possible providers of alternative settings but neither have worked. Whilst I am not sure, I think the fact that Etisalat use a proxy server affects this (now starting to suggest things outside of my comfort zone) although I understand from Millhouse that it works for him, so am none-the-wiser really.

If you can get this to work in the UAE please tell me how as I'd love to itilize the full power of my 16mb connection without it being throttled to 1-2mb with the VPN on!

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 13th 2013 9:54 am

I get that sometimes and my internet claims (via checkers online) to be 21mb.

When it says insufficient bandhelmet, I just refresh the page and carry on until it goes again.

ALternative is to plan ahead and download the programmes from iPlayer.

Patsy Stoned Mar 13th 2013 9:56 am

My download speeds have been really slow recently..other people have had the same issue. Maybe another cable broken :D

jam25mack Mar 13th 2013 10:27 am

Yup, my apparent 16mb is pish at the minute, nowhere near the lightening speed it used to be!

britexpat76 Mar 13th 2013 10:35 am

I get a massive 3mb in Doha but everything streams perfectly. I do not know how though? Though 1 in 5 programmes will give my the insufficient bandwidth message and i just load it again and it plays.

Bahtatboy Mar 13th 2013 10:50 pm

If I try loading again in iPlayer i just end up exactly where I was :confused: