British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bali (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bali-916248/)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 19th 2018 5:56 am

Bali

Morning all,

Arrived back last night and just a few summary points on Bali from my (our) perspective:

People are phenomenal. Much more welcoming, warm and engaging than other parts of SE Asia.
We stayed in Seminyak and pretty much didn't leave. A strange sort of place which when wandering you'd lose your bearings in minutes with all the side roads and winding alleys. Lovely though.
Food was unreal, not just local but in terms of actual fine dining, some fantastic restaurants that would fit nicely in Dubai or London etc and charge boat loads more.
Wine was exceptionally expensive for mainly very average Aus/NZ plonk. Bintang is fantastic.
Always wanted to know your name and where you're from and if you liked Bali. Always very generous with time to suggest things and had a definite pride in their country that so many want to visit it.
The place itself if just paradise really. The sea and surf was spectacular, the flora and fauna were lovely, apart from the mosquitoes.
The hotel we were in was unreal, probably one of the best we've ever stayed in.
We didn't explore as much as we wanted to but the holiday was always about just relaxing and enjoying ourselves. Once I'd popped the question it became about celebrating, relaxing and enjoying ourselves.
We took advantage of beautiful weather through the week which was lovely.
Usual bullshit in town trying to be fleeced when buying something from a stall but never in an overly aggressive way as in other places we've visited. Only shouted at one man who poked me (really hard, the bugger) after I didn't say 'No thank you' for a second or third time.
Traffic - yeah, it's shit, but it's really not the end of the world. It took 90mins to do 14km to the airport so I get the frustration but we didn't do trips like that really.
I'd hire a moped in a heartbeat but be terrified riding it.
Less developed (if that's the right word) than the Thailand type SE Asian destinations, which was brilliant. (IE: spotted one McDonalds and one Starbucks, neither particularly prominent and no Irish bars at all).
Every other person is Australian, ranging from proper bogan scumbags to normal folk. They're alright really. Not many Brits, quite a few Europeans though and many, many Americans.

A very lovely week, very lovely people and we've said we will definitely go back and actually explore the island(s) further.

Back to earth with a bump being in work this morning so thank goodness for Eid.

co durham boy Aug 19th 2018 7:49 am

Re: Bali

Glad you enjoyed it chief , I think it's a great place . Agree with the food some very very high end stuff for buttons .

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 19th 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12550789)
Glad you enjoyed it chief , I think it's a great place . Agree with the food some very very high end stuff for buttons .

Didn't manage to visit all the places we were recommended but some places were just spectacularly good food. Sardine for example, Barbacoa as well. Very good food.

DXBtoDOH Aug 19th 2018 11:39 am

Scamp, if I read the message correctly, then congratulations! Very pleased for you and the missus.

Autonomy Aug 19th 2018 12:01 pm

Congratulations!

Dubaiexile Aug 19th 2018 1:08 pm

Congratulations young man!

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2018 5:19 am

Thank you folks, very exciting times. :thumbup:

BEVS Aug 23rd 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12550765)

A very lovely week, very lovely people and we've said we will definitely go back and actually explore the island(s) further.

Back to earth with a bump being in work this morning so thank goodness for Eid.

I'm so pleased you loved Bali and the people as much as we did. Definitely go back if you can. There is so much there to be found

and

Congratulations to the pair of you.

:thumbsup: :eek: :starsmile: :wub:

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2018 7:56 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12553082)
I'm so pleased you loved Bali and the people as much as we did. Definitely go back if you can. There is so much there to be found

and

Congratulations to the pair of you.

:thumbsup: :eek: :starsmile: :wub:

THanks a lot.

It's a joke how friendly the people were and a real shame that they have to put up with shit tourists. The worst we came across were European, sadly.

moneypenny20 Aug 23rd 2018 8:04 am

Many congratulations Scamp and Mrs Scamp to be. Good job she said yes, would have put a damper on the holuday if she'd said no.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2018 8:35 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12553097)
Many congratulations Scamp and Mrs Scamp to be. Good job she said yes, would have put a damper on the holuday if she'd said no.

I'm proud of her, she's passed this 8yr pre-engagement audition with definite merit points.

Jerseygirl Aug 23rd 2018 11:23 am

Congratulations!!!

Bali sounds fabulous. Maybe one day I will get there. :fingerscrossed:

Norm_uk Aug 23rd 2018 5:54 pm

Congratulations!

UKMS Aug 23rd 2018 7:34 pm

A timely post .... I’m just heading to Singapore then down to Bali on Monday for a 10 day stay for my wife’s milestone birthday (it’s her 60th but she doesn’t want anyone to know :) )

Sounds wonderful .... looking forward to it even more now !

Congrats by the way ! !

TheShed Aug 25th 2018 2:47 pm

Without wishing to draw attention away form Scampi’s holiday and great news, but I will. I’ve just come back from Phu Quoc. It’s part of Vietnam, an island and closer to Bangkok and Cambodia than mainland Vietnam.

VERY undeveloped but (supported by Gov inititives) it’s developing fast. Incredible beaches and scenery, wonderful people who Barely speak a word of English outside of the resorts which makes for an amazing stay. If you like Bali or Phuket, forget it. If you’re looking for Koh Samui 25 years ago, get on a plane.

We loved it.

P.s. Scampi, I did say congrats on Faceplank but now you’re back in DXB and the ring still fits - Congrats Again. ( dates for the stag need to be 6 months+ for me and Milly).