British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bali (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bali-894566/)

Kooky. Jun 8th 2018 9:48 pm

Re: Bali

I know a few people living there (especially popular with those that move on from Singapore) and always thought we might end up there. Still think we might, though my husband doesn't agree.

The main issue to me is not being able to own property - but maybe it's an old-fashioned view that one should own it.

Sure Davita can help you, ozzieeagle.

ozzieeagle Jun 8th 2018 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12512961)
I know a few people living there (especially popular with those that move on from Singapore) and always thought we might end up there. Still think we might, though my husband doesn't agree.

The main issue to me is not being able to own property - but maybe it's an old-fashioned view that one should own it.

Sure Davita can help you, ozzieeagle.

Not an issue, if you own more valuable property back in your home country for me Kooky :) In fact owning property overseas for Aussies would stuff up their government pensions if ineed they qualify because of means testing... especially if they want a secure owned fall back base in their own country. I've heard of people paying 15K Aud per annum for big palatial places in Bali, complete with pools and access to cooks etc, which would be less than half the rent I could get for an empty place back in Melbourne, probably 2/3rds less..... Plus that place in Melbourne would increase at a far faster rate..... probably at the rental rate or more of the Bali property.... hence on paper you would be living free. So I'm exploring this....

Kooky. Jun 9th 2018 10:30 pm

Definitely worth exploring but please include health care in your research. As I get older (56 this year), that's definitely a factor for me.

ozzieeagle Jun 9th 2018 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12513355)
Definitely worth exploring but please include health care in your research. As I get older (56 this year), that's definitely a factor for me.

Yes, I've sent feelers out about that with an Aus Pensioner couple that are living there solely on their government pension apparently. Freinds of a friend people.

ozzieeagle Jun 14th 2018 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12513355)

Booked for September, will be catching up with those people, will check find out about the health insurance in detail. Booked in Seminyak, place with a private pool to ourselves 10 days = 1,080 AUD. Heliconia Villa :)

Kooky. Jun 14th 2018 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12515650)
Booked for September, will be catching up with those people, will check find out about the health insurance in detail. Booked in Seminyak, place with a private pool to ourselves 10 days = 1,080 AUD. Heliconia Villa :)

Good price. We've been paying around USD300 a night in Seminyak for years.

ozzieeagle Jun 14th 2018 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12515672)
Good price. We've been paying around USD300 a night in Seminyak for years.

I noticed there was a huge range of prices there, more so than we seem to be used to in Australia. So I'm wondering why. Guess I'll find out LOL.

There were plenty cheaper than our one thats for sure.