Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Bahtatboy's Blubber-Slashing Blog

Originally Posted by co durham boy
No you wouldn't you'd look thin .
I don't see that as a benefit.

I like being a bigger bloke, I don't want to appear thin or skinny or anything like that. I'd ideally be about 15.5/16. But hey, the BMI is what it is.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:53 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the health benefits of being at a lower weight range, I assume most people want to lose weight for cosmetic reasons also. Clothes fitting well, not lumbering around the place, certain level of comfort etc all that kind of stuff.

Anyhow good luck to Bahtatboy, it sounds like he has done the hardest part which is mentally convincing himself he needs to do it and then getting on with it.

One other funny thing regarding a co-worker (since left), who got a whole new policy started in our company. He was interviewed on skype and seemed fairly normal but when he arrived he must have easily been over 35 stone. He had a skinny head!
Anyhow soon after this most skype interviews included some excuse to get the candidate to get up and walk somewhere. like can you close that window, we are getting background noise..basically anything that we could think of to see the shape of the guy.
While this seems incredibly fattist some of these people are meeting clients and the first impression of a red faced sweaty man who just lumbered up your stairs is not good.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't see that as a benefit.

I like being a bigger bloke, I don't want to appear thin or skinny or anything like that. I'd ideally be about 15.5/16. But hey, the BMI is what it is.
It would be easier to put your socks on though. Anyway, 108kg at 23, that's quite impressive.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It would be easier to put your socks on though. Anyway, 108kg at 23, that's quite impressive.
It was better when I achieved 250lbs. That was a landmark I have successfully hit and backed away from (not by much).

Put things in perspective though MH, I've had shits that are as big as you.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Oh, and I'm 24 now.

Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default BMI

The BMI has been around since the 1840s, but it has a number of weaknesses. Firstly, it doesn’t give a real estimate of percentage body fat. Secondly, the BMI can be quite different for a man and a woman with the same percentage of body fat. And thirdly, your BMI can be high even if you don’t have much fat, especially if you are male and very muscular.

For a slightly more accurate measurement - use the body adiposity index (BAI = ((hip circumference)/((height)-18)) or use calipers. For the ultimate there is the test with the water (name escapes me)
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:22 am
Account Closed

Default Re: BMI

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
For the ultimate there is the test with the water (name escapes me)
Is that the one where you half fill a bath, draw a line, get your fat self in, wait, draw another line?

Calipers are the best thing I've ever used to measure how tubby I am.

Anyway, B-Boy seems to be wholly committed to this so I'm sure the BMI and other tools of measurement will soon be casting a smaller shadow.

Keep it up Sir.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/m...ed_6p.320w.jpg

It would be hard to call him obese but he certainly was no lightweight
Misleading.

That picture was taken at a charity exhibition match after his retirement (he's even bigger now).
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice
Default Re: BMI

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
The BMI has been around since the 1840s, but it has a number of weaknesses. Firstly, it doesn’t give a real estimate of percentage body fat. Secondly, the BMI can be quite different for a man and a woman with the same percentage of body fat. And thirdly, your BMI can be high even if you don’t have much fat, especially if you are male and very muscular.

For a slightly more accurate measurement - use the body adiposity index (BAI = ((hip circumference)/((height)-18)) or use calipers. For the ultimate there is the test with the water (name escapes me)
Hydrostatic testing...body fat percentage over BMI every time!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:34 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Borderline obese means BMI of close to 30 right? So if I was to take someone 6 foot tall they would need to be 220 pounds to be borderline 30 (1.83cm 100kg). This to me would certainly be borderline obese.

Taking the example of Jonny Wilkinson from before, he is 178cm and 89kg so has a BMI of 28 (overweight).
From my own measurements I am just over 6 foot 2 and weigh less than 200 pounds (189cm and 90kg) which makes my BMI 25.2 but I know myself I could lose 3 or 4kgs which would probably make me exactly right.
Na, I'm 28. I'm 188cm and 85Kg. Due to my sport there is not an ounce of fat on me.

Anyway, I don't care for all those statistics...my measurable is my 10K, half marathon, olympic tirathlon and ironman times..

They tell a good enough story.

For what its worth, I think the OP is over complicating this whole thing.

Train well, stay off the weights and eat properly. I still drink beer and have dropped a KG since Friday.

I have access to and am surrounded by some of the best athlete's in UAE and have professionals an email away, the message is simple..train, eat, recover and the weight will look after itself
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:40 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I'm 24 now.

Before I started training, I was 105KG's..at 188cm aka a fat bastard.

I've never ever dieted, I just train. Burn off more than you shove in..simples really.

2 years ago 10K ...47 mins
Now, sub 37mins and trust me I am not built to run, I just have a pretty good cardio make up where I have trained myself to hold 175-180bpm for long periods.

Ill take you out for some runs if you want..there are great clubs in dubai.. ABRAS, Dubai roadrunners etc..
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by commander
Before I started training, I was 105KG's..at 188cm aka a fat bastard.

I've never ever dieted, I just train. Burn off more than you shove in..simples really.

2 years ago 10K ...47 mins
Now, sub 37mins and trust me I am not built to run, I just have a pretty good cardio make up where I have trained myself to hold 175-180bpm for long periods.

Ill take you out for some runs if you want..there are great clubs in dubai.. ABRAS, Dubai roadrunners etc..
Running doesn't interest me one bit. Not in the slightest. Sorry, thank you for the offer....maybe BBoy should take this offer up though?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:44 pm
banned

Running doesn't interest me one bit. Not in the slightest. Sorry, thank you for the offer....maybe BBoy should take this offer up though?
No
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:52 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Na, I'm 28. I'm 188cm and 85Kg. Due to my sport there is not an ounce of fat on me.
According to the BMI calculator you are 24 which means you are in the (physically at least) normal category
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

No
Why not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.