Bahrain in WW2

Old Jan 25th 2013, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Bahrain in WW2

I guarantee that you have never heard of this before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing...n_World_War_II
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain in WW2

Originally Posted by scot47
I guarantee that you have never heard of this before

On the contrary.......... my Uncle Ron was a mechanic with the RAF during WW2, and Bahrain was his first overseas posting......... I agree it's not well-known though..........
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I remember reading something about long range historic bombings in the past. But was it the allies and having to park up the aircraft somewhere neutral, out of the war? Looks like in this case they were totally successful, more successful than the allies mission(s) and more than the mere damage the bombs caused.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Salalah and Gan were RAF postings up until about 1976. Have several friends who did tours.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bahrain was not neutral in WW2. It was a Bristish Protectorate and had long been a staging post for Imperial Airways en route to India, Malya and Singapore.

The Italians also did some successful air raids on Palestine (at that time a British Mandate).

Last edited by scot47; Jan 27th 2013 at 12:45 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:48 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Salalah and Gan were RAF postings up until about 1976. Have several friends who did tours.
Gan is in The Maldives. It was a refueling spot for planes taking forces out to the Far East. *happy memories*
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

RAF Muharaq in Bahrain was opened in 1943. I am not sure what they used before that. Maybe it was an RNAS Station ?

Big one up the road was RAF Habaniyah in Baghdad. loojing at the list of RAF Stations on Wikipedia is a reminder of the Empire that has gone, never to return. Has anyone told the "Daily Mail" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...r_RAF_stations

Last edited by scot47; Jan 27th 2013 at 1:56 pm. Reason: soddin typo
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:12 am
Just Joined

grhmclrk is an unknown quantity at this point

The original airstrip the RAF used was located next to the Jebel. When I first arrived in Bahrain some 30 years ago it was unused and the locals did drag racing there. It has now been refurbished and is used by the Royal Flight and for the Bahrain Airshow.

During WW2 my uncle flew his Spitfire from UK to India and landed in Bahrain at the above airport for refuelling/rest. He subsequently crashed in India, married the British nurse that looked after him and lived happily ever after.

Commercial flights used flying boats and docked by the original Muharraq Causeway.