British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bahrain Road Rage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bahrain-road-rage-706782/)

norsk Feb 24th 2011 4:26 pm

Bahrain Road Rage

I had the pleasure of experiencing some good old road rage today. Quite unsettling really, but also slightly amusing (afterwards anyway).

Basically I was going straight through a three lane roundabout with myself in the middle lane when a nutter (technical term for bad driver) on my right decided that he was going left. I'm used to this kind of lunatic driving from Saudi so I just slowed down and let him go (if I hadn't braked I would have hit him). Anyway, nothing spectacular about that except the Bahraini guy behind me who was beeping incessantly and giving me the finger.

I'm used to being beeped at (again from driving in Saudi) and couldn't care less, but I have never been given the finger in the Middle East before and it kind of pissed me off so I proceeded to drive very slowly (probably around 20kph) for maybe 50 metres. I could see the guy (a Bahraini in his late twenties) practically spitting flames behind me. Eventually the lane next to me opened up so he overtook me. I sped up to maybe 50kph at the same time and thought the fun was finished.

Oh but it definitely wasn't. He cut me up big style. I was lucky there wasn't another car behind me as it was emergency brake time. He was giving me the finger out of the window as we were standing completely still on the road, and the red mist descended on me so I gave him the finger back. BIG MISTAKE as it turns out!

He started moving again and I did as well again thinking the episode was finished. Anyway, he braked hard just in front of me a couple times trying to get me to hit him. After the third time I was getting bored and slightly worried he was not going to stop this lunacy, so I just stood still until he was far out ahead.

So again I was thinking it was done, but was it *****, he was bloody waiting on the side of the road and pulled out in front of me. At this point I was meant to turn off onto another road, but he blocked the exit (tried to bloody run into me as well) so I had to keep going straight, and obviously he followed. There was a red light ahead (bad luck) so I had to stop and he pulled up next to me, wound his window down and was basically having what I would classify as an epilectic fit mixed in with tourettes. Let's just say this guy must have a serious anger/self control issue.

I'm not going to repeat what he shouted, but I'm sure you can guess at least some of the nice things he told me. He was very clear that I was not welcome in his country of course. After about a minute he drove off (jumping the lights), but only after he had spat at my car twice. What a lovely chap! :blink:

All in all another great day in Bahrain! :thumbsup:

Shawlands Feb 24th 2011 5:32 pm

Re: Bahrain Road Rage

I would have got out and thumped him one when you were both parked up.

Iv had the same happen in Saudi, I mean, if they were in a hurry, why the hell do they then spend 30mins trying to get u back? Wasn't the whole issue cos they wanted to be somewhere else fast?

As soon as they realize you have not bought into the 'u can't hit a Saudi/Bahraini/Emirati whatever' the little shits start screaming like girls and floor it.

(Honestly I'm not a thug.....)

nottmbantam Feb 24th 2011 5:42 pm

It IS really tempting to walk up to them and give them a 'proper Archie slap'. I'm not a thug either, but sometimes they just need to know they are being stupid.

Put it down to experience and don't rise to it next time, by the sounds of it, you don't usually, and driving in Saudi you really have to keep your cool. It annoys them much more when you keep your cool and they lose it big time. That's much funnier.

norsk Feb 24th 2011 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9199393)
It IS really tempting to walk up to them and give them a 'proper Archie slap'. I'm not a thug either, but sometimes they just need to know they are being stupid.

Put it down to experience and don't rise to it next time, by the sounds of it, you don't usually, and driving in Saudi you really have to keep your cool. It annoys them much more when you keep your cool and they lose it big time. That's much funnier.

I know and to be honest if it hadn't been for the fact that I have been suffering from serious back pain (meaning I am not able to move freely) for the past week or so, I would have probably got out of the car and challenged him to a fight. Probably a good thing I couldn't as I might have seriously injured him...:p (I'm not a thug either, but I will stand my ground if challenged

In Saudi I will not engage anyone for any reason as I know that I would be the one ending up in jail despite it not being my fault. To be honest I was completely calm once I understood what was happening today. Some loser swearing and spitting at me is fine. Water off a duck..:thumbsup:

kittycat1 Feb 25th 2011 4:55 am

I had something very similar in London- 4 eastern european men in a car-(I had cut them up admittedly but it was accidental) they scared the shit out of me in the end (ended up sat in busy traffic with them next to me shouting very threatening stuff at me and they followed me for about 6 miles- should have called the police in hindsight), so it isnt just here although I would say its a bit more regular here- always best where possible to smile and wave and mutter foook you as they drive on past