British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bahrain Grand Prix (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bahrain-grand-prix-830230/)

ADteacher Apr 2nd 2014 5:43 am

Bahrain Grand Prix

Thinking of a bit of a last minute 'jump on a plane and go to the grand prix' at the weekend.

Found tickets/flights etc but looking for advice on a hotel- whereabouts would anyone recommend staying? Near the airport? Are taxis easy to find/reasonably priced?

Thanks!

The_Citizen Apr 2nd 2014 6:11 am

Re: Bahrain Grand Prix

Originally Posted by ADteacher (Post 11200752)
Thinking of a bit of a last minute 'jump on a plane and go to the grand prix' at the weekend.

Found tickets/flights etc but looking for advice on a hotel- whereabouts would anyone recommend staying? Near the airport? Are taxis easy to find/reasonably priced?

Thanks!

I went to the gp last year and had a good time.

We stayed in a really cheap apartment as there was a few of us but I would recommend staying in a hotel where the shuttle bus picks up. Might be worth checking the site or giving them a ring to see which hotels it is this year.

I was meant to be going this year but can't get the time of this weekend due to other commitments.

With taxis we usually paid about 80 AED to the F1 from the city centre in a taxi but used the 'hotel' car most days for about 100 AED.

busybee2 Apr 3rd 2014 6:24 am

Thanks!

just wait and go to the one "up the road" here.:D

Backinthesand Apr 3rd 2014 8:38 am

Thanks!

Tons of taxis outside of the airport all metered and Bahrain is tiny so no major cost involved in getting them. If the meter isn't switched on then you don't have to pay - check out the Sofitel for 5 Star hotel close to BIC - sure they will arrange a pick up from the airport as well.

Brains1983 Apr 5th 2014 7:32 am

Thanks!

Save a fortune and go to the Hungarian one in July. We've got a budget direct flight out of DWC for 200 EUR return in July. Wizzair. Beer cheaper, better circuit :)

scot47 Apr 5th 2014 12:15 pm

Airhead population of Bahrain increases greatly during F!

andyrich666 Apr 6th 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11205607)
Airhead population of Bahrain increases greatly during F!

I have a thing for Airheads ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 7th 2014 5:36 am

Originally Posted by andyrich666 (Post 11207407)
I have a thing for Airheads ;)

Ignore him, he's old, boring and never has anything remotely positive or interesting to say.

The_Citizen Apr 7th 2014 10:01 am

Thanks!

well if you did go you definitely chose a good race.

Budapest and AD for me this year I think.

ADteacher Apr 7th 2014 4:03 pm

Decided not to go in the end- did end up being a good race but ah well, go to watch it on tv at least!

Will def be going to the one here, I just wanted to take advantage of having a Sunday off and it being nearby! Maybe next year!