Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Bahrain arrests Doctors and Nurses

Bahrain arrests Doctors and Nurses

Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:10 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain arrests Doctors and Nurses

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Its true, I used to have friends (with latent disloyal tendencies) until my golf lessons and follow up brunch got postponed due to their disloyal activities. I just dont see a problem in that

Glad to say that now the disloyal ones have been rounded up and are being re-educated to become good citizens: Golf and brunches have resumed.

A good result for all
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:40 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
So Bahrain does not care about Doctors' hypocratic oath?
Nope. I've met a number of doctors from this region who also don't care about that because they don't take that Oath for religious reasons.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Indy article mentions how this contravenes Geneva Convention rules. If Médecins Sans Frontières aka Doctors Without Borders treated the injured, wouldn't they also be guilt of running afoul of the authorities?
I very much doubt they care about the Geneva Convention either...if they did they wouldn't have been firing on their own people and asking for military aid against their own population from Saudi and the UAE.

Saddam had doctors cut the ear of deserters in the first gulf war - anyone who refused would have had family members shot. Charming...

This is the problem with the West - we support certain government leaders but are not insistent enough that they create rule of law and more respect for human rights.

Not to say the alternative would be better. A lot of these tyrants are actually the lesser of two evils.

N.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

When I pointed out tongue in cheek that many expats were against the unrest as it threatened their brunches, i was accused of speaking without knowing etc etc
However it seems that some expats at least consider brunches to be the main thing

That aside, i am obviously glad things in Bahrain are getting back to normal as they should be

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/bahrai...-away-1.831479

At a Friday brunch at the Crowne Plaza in Manama's diplomatic area, western expatriate families are relaxing to the thumping hits of a Filipino cover band.

"Yeah, it's back to normal," a portly, short and balding food and beverage manager says as he surveys the room, mentally toting up the day's covers, "Yeah," he smiles. "Definitely back to normal."

Two glassy-eyed and dyed women whoop as they enjoy the brunch.

"Bahrain is back!" one says with a thick Liverpool accent. "The brunches are back on. Woo hoo!"
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
When I pointed out tongue in cheek that many expats were against the unrest as it threatened their brunches, i was accused of speaking without knowing etc etc
However it seems that some expats at least consider brunches to be the main thing

That aside, i am obviously glad things in Bahrain are getting back to normal as they should be

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/bahrai...-away-1.831479

At a Friday brunch at the Crowne Plaza in Manama's diplomatic area, western expatriate families are relaxing to the thumping hits of a Filipino cover band.

"Yeah, it's back to normal," a portly, short and balding food and beverage manager says as he surveys the room, mentally toting up the day's covers, "Yeah," he smiles. "Definitely back to normal."

Two glassy-eyed and dyed women whoop as they enjoy the brunch.

"Bahrain is back!" one says with a thick Liverpool accent. "The brunches are back on. Woo hoo!"
The brunches have never really stopped to be honest - the above reads like a journalist created the story in his/her head then made up a a bit of dialogue that fitted, with appropriate stereotypes of course. Basically, it sounds like a work of fiction.

That said, I think there is a certain type of (usually older, old colonial style expat) who couldn't care less about the situation beyond wishing everyone would just shutup and keep the status quo that has served them perfectly well for X number of years.....