British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bahrain Again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bahrain-again-706589/)

lionheart Feb 23rd 2011 12:09 pm

Bahrain Again

Yes I have already got the message that the overwhelming majority on here don't care two hoots about what happens in Bahrain but, for those of us who do, it seems that the protests are by no means over...

http://arabia.msn.com/News/World/AFP...e.&featuredUAE

danglydavis Feb 23rd 2011 12:20 pm

Re: Bahrain Again

Another country where corruption is rife. Change is inevitable. I have also unconfirmed reports of pockets of unrest in the magic kingdom.

lionheart Feb 23rd 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by danglydavis (Post 9196199)
Another country where corruption is rife. Change is inevitable. I have also unconfirmed reports of pockets of unrest in the magic kingdom.

Do you honestly believe that the USA and Israel will allow the Bahraini monarchy to be replaced by a Shia dominated republic?

knickerdropofglory Feb 23rd 2011 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9196500)
Do you honestly believe that the USA and Israel will allow the Bahraini monarchy to be replaced by a Shia dominated republic?

More importantly, will it become Dry!!!!! I hope not.

norsk Feb 23rd 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9196171)
Yes I have already got the message that the overwhelming majority on here don't care two hoots about what happens in Bahrain but, for those of us who do, it seems that the protests are by no means over...

http://arabia.msn.com/News/World/AFP...e.&featuredUAE

yet more one-sided and biased news. it's getting a bit tedious to be honest..

i find it almost funny how this particular journalist makes a big deal out of the fact that there was a banner saying no dialogue until the regime falls (or whatever) when this is exactly what is happening.

there are some more marches planned for friday according to the british embassy, but as long as the talks are progressing this is just about keeping the pressure on i would have thought, although i'm sure some more articles will come out afterwards.

although the majority of bahrainis are shia, this doesn't automatically mean they all want to make bahrain into a mini-Iran. don't forget that most bahrainis (shia and sunni) live a decent living. yes there are some poor people (and they are most likely to complain the loudest now), but others would probably prefer that bahrain becomes more liberal rather than more conservative.

i'm quite positive about this whole thing, and although having a revolution happen down the road can be disconcerting i think the current regime has reacted quite well considering what they are likely to have to concede.

lionheart Feb 24th 2011 3:25 am

At no point does this "one-sided and biased" news story suggest that Bahrain is going to become another Iran, merely that the current dictatorship should be replaced by something more democratic and more representative of the people. A constitutional monarchy has been suggested in other articles.

Tockalosh Feb 24th 2011 3:53 am

It may not become a mini Iran but it will go dry for sure. Even our moderate local employees agree that one of the first things on the agenda should they get a real government with teeth will be banning booze.

Funny thing is, none of them have a problem with us expats boozin now as it hardly impacts them besides the drunk Saudis on the road and yet they all want it banned because its bad for Bahrain's image as the potential No1 tourist destination in the Gulf.
They just cant get it into their heads that no booze = no tourism. I have visited all of Bahrains "tourist" attractions and there is didly squat worth looking at unless you find 10 different breeds of dessert goat fascinating at the wildlife park

Still its their country and if they want it dry then so be it. I guess thats democracy

Millhouse Feb 24th 2011 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9197976)
...of dessert goat...

Is this what you eat after having your mains?

norsk Feb 24th 2011 4:46 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9197936)
At no point does this "one-sided and biased" news story suggest that Bahrain is going to become another Iran, merely that the current dictatorship should be replaced by something more democratic and more representative of the people. A constitutional monarchy has been suggested in other articles.

that's right, and i never said it did. however international media are all assuming that if the shia come into power it will. i just don't think this is that cut and dry. also it doesn't mention that there is a substantial pro-government movement. i'm sure they want constitutional monarchy as well to be honest, but not at all costs. anyway, time will tell what will actually happen...

something will happen with booze that's for sure, but i'm not sure it will be a total ban. like tockalosh says they are mostly worried about drunk saudis (on the roads and elsewhere) and their reputation as a tourist destination. a total ban would solve the first problem, but kill off any chance of the second being an option. i reckon they will definitely move towards restricting availability of alcohol though, to be honest this has already been put in motion when they shut a few of the alcohol shops last year (albeit very slowly).

Oh my, Al Areen Wildlife Park. what a great place! i saw 16 different types of goat and a few antilopes. and they have a huge pond with ducks and geese which absolutely stink of bird sh*t! It is very cheap to get in (BD2 or something) but I still had to fight the urge to ask for a refund...:rofl:

Norm_uk Feb 24th 2011 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9196500)

I think the Saudi monarchy is actually more worried than the USA and Israel. Israel and USA are looking at Egypt more because it's a beacon in the Arab world and can sway other country's opinion far more than Bahrain.

N.

Norm_uk Feb 24th 2011 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9197976)
It may not become a mini Iran but it will go dry for sure. Even our moderate local employees agree that one of the first things on the agenda should they get a real government with teeth will be banning booze.

Funny thing is, none of them have a problem with us expats boozin now as it hardly impacts them besides the drunk Saudis on the road and yet they all want it banned because its bad for Bahrain's image as the potential No1 tourist destination in the Gulf.
They just cant get it into their heads that no booze = no tourism. I have visited all of Bahrains "tourist" attractions and there is didly squat worth looking at unless you find 10 different breeds of dessert goat fascinating at the wildlife park

Still its their country and if they want it dry then so be it. I guess thats democracy

I find it odd that everyone wants democracy but doesn't get that Democracy goes hand in had with personal responsibility, broader and secular education and a clear separating of religion and state to be effective and stable. It seems Democracy is more an excuse for mob rule and popularist Islamist parties to take over...which is going to be an out of the frying pan and into the fire situation for the people.

The number one solution would be a sexual revolution and the ceasing of treating women as second class citizens who need to be protected by men!

N.

captainflack Feb 24th 2011 10:21 am

It is just plain stupid to suggest that Bahrain will become some kind of Iranian proxy, just because it's majority Shia.

The US lost how many soldiers toppling another Sunni dictator in Iraq in order to (supposedly) have a democratic government lead by Shias? Now they don't want to support democracy in Bahrain because they're worried about Shias? Whatever.

Bahrain's rulers were idiotic to think they can shoot down peaceful protestors, make up lies that all these people had guns and swords and then expect it to all calm down when they talk about national dialogue.

I suspect the calls for constitutional monarchy rather than toppling the royal family is an attempt to avoid Saudi intervention.

I am also amused by the concept that Saudi-backed sunni dictators are in some way more moderate than democratically elected Shia ones would be. Take a look at Saudi Arabic ffs. Honestly... it's worse than the *****ing taleban. If you want to see a *****ed up islamic nutter state, you don't need to look as far as Iran. Women can drive in Iran btw and other religions can be practised. Although they also shoot you if you don't agree with the leader of course.