British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bah Humbug thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bah-humbug-thread-740720/)

kittycat1 Dec 2nd 2011 12:32 pm

Bah Humbug thread

If you want to be a grinch and moan about Christmas- put it in here not in my happy xmas thread you miserable barstewards! :p

Morecambe Mindy Dec 2nd 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Bah Humbug thread

Phew, can I just say I bloooooody hate that Slade song, makes me go all grinch every year! :sick:

kittycat1 Dec 3rd 2011 1:36 pm

What The Fork has happened to quality street- I bought a tin as its christmas and wouldnt be the same without and they only have 6 flavors- surely thats not right? are they being taken out because of ingredients in some of the flavours? where are the orange ones ( my favorite ones)? I am most upset!

contains; chocolate caramel with wholenut ( purple one), toffee finger, green triangle, caramel cup, hazelnut crunch and toffee penny.... where are the missing ones? :(

Hello.Kitty Dec 3rd 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9768060)
What The Fork has happened to quality street- I bought a tin as its christmas and wouldnt be the same without and they only have 6 flavors- surely thats not right? are they being taken out because of ingredients in some of the flavours? where are the orange ones ( my favorite ones)? I am most upset!

contains; chocolate caramel with wholenut ( purple one), toffee finger, green triangle, caramel cup, hazelnut crunch and toffee penny.... where are the missing ones? :(

you've definitely been done. I bet the strawberry and orange-filled ones have some kind of banned gelatine in them.

You won't find me grinching about Christmas - the tree's going up the day after we land (and maybe this year I'll do the outside of the house too! teeheehee!)

seven seas Dec 3rd 2011 3:13 pm

OMG I didn't know anyone ate the orange ones I thought they were just for decoration .

UKCityGent Dec 3rd 2011 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9768060)

The austerity measures have to start from somewhere !!

Meow Dec 4th 2011 8:43 am

It's not that I hate Christmas, but I just don't see why there is such a big deal made about it, when it is really just one day. You could argue it's 12 days if you are religious, but most of the Christmas fanatics aren't.

I just don't get it.

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769059)
It's not that I hate Christmas, but I just don't see why there is such a big deal made about it, when it is really just one day. You could argue it's 12 days if you are religious, but most of the Christmas fanatics aren't.

I just don't get it.

It's good, makes you feel all nice and stuff....

Robajob Dec 4th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9769080)

Makes me feel bloody skint..

Meow Dec 4th 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9769080)

But why? You don't believe in the birth of Jesus Christ or in Father Christmas, so why do you need all the tinsel and songs to be nice to people? You can buy me a present at any time during the year.

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 9769081)
Makes me feel bloody skint..

Tell me about it, was my wedding anniversary on National Day, a trip to Al Maha and a Mulberry bag has left me well out of pocket.

Still, you've got to keep the missus happy eh?

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769084)
But why? You don't believe in the birth of Jesus Christ or in Father Christmas, so why do you need all the tinsel and songs to be nice to people? You can buy me a present at any time during the year.

BEcause we get nostalgic about Christmas when we were kids and how it was the best time of our lives, back home it's fun over Christmas when it's cold and snowing and you are out for Christmas parties having fun.

It's a feel good time of year.

Well not in this country...

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769084)

Also I don't believe in the Easter bunny but I bloody love Buttons easter eggs ;)

Meow Dec 4th 2011 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9769092)
BEcause we get nostalgic about Christmas when we were kids and how it was the best time of our lives, back home it's fun over Christmas when it's cold and snowing and you are out for Christmas parties having fun.

It's a feel good time of year.

Well not in this country...

Maybe for you, but I spent numerous childhood Christmases in the tropics and hate the cold and snow.

I don't see why it should be much different out here. You can sit outside on Christmas day which is nicer and the day is really what you make it. It's all the fuss made about one day that annoys me.

As per usual, I will be cooking lunch for a houseful of friends which will turn into a party in the evening. It's just a regular weekend event, but with added twinkly lights and presents.

And what's all the fuss about cooking Christmas lunch? It's just a big roast dinner, but there are so many articles written about it, you'd think it was something difficult!

Spugsy Dec 4th 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9769099)
Maybe for you, but I spent numerous childhood Christmases in the tropics and hate the cold and snow.

I don't see why it should be much different out here. You can sit outside on Christmas day which is nicer and the day is really what you make it. It's all the fuss made about one day that annoys me.

As per usual, I will be cooking lunch for a houseful of friends which will turn into a party in the evening. It's just a regular weekend event, but with added twinkly lights and presents.

And what's all the fuss about cooking Christmas lunch? It's just a big roast dinner, but there are so many articles written about it, you'd think it was something difficult!

Because it's a muslim country, because there's no 'Christmas cheer' in the office as it's mixed religions, because there's no Christmas songs on the radio and because it's not freezing cold when you nip out at lunchtime to buy presents.

I'll be in Langawyi chilling in the sun as this is the last place I want to be, and then onto Sydney for a weeks worth of fun over NYE.

We're deffo going home next year for Christmas though.