British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bag checks at arrival (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bag-checks-arrival-705133/)

kittycat1 Feb 12th 2011 4:48 pm

Bag checks at arrival

Hi all,

I'm back and now in need of a holiday!

Coming through the airport I yet again had my bags checked- I don't think I have ever come through without being pulled aside- now despite what you may think I don't look shifty or dodgy so why do I always get checked? Is it being a single female traveller? does anyone else get pulled over every time they fly in?

xxx

Millhouse Feb 12th 2011 4:56 pm

Re: Bag checks at arrival

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9171778)
Hi all,

Coming through the airport I yet again had my bags checked- I don't think I have ever come through without being pulled aside- now despite what you may think I don't look shifty or dodgy so why do I always get checked? Is it being a single female traveller? does anyone else get pulled over every time they fly in?

xxx

Only once here... but I once did a job in Istanbul for 6 weeks and would commute back and forth each week to London. I would get stopped every time without fail on entering and leaving Turkey. I even got pulled out of the check-in queue once and taken to a separate room to be searched.

just be humble.

Spugsy Feb 12th 2011 5:40 pm

Hi all,

xxx

Never ever for me, and I do look dodgy.

soukie Feb 12th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9171839)
Never ever for me, and I do look dodgy.

:rofl: Only been stopped once in Doha by a very ignorant customs officer who made me lift my suitcase onto a high bench and then asked where I was travelling from and did I have any videos - he then wrote something in Arabic on my case with white chalk - it was the old airport that looked like a shed so I expect they are a bit more organised now......

soukie Feb 12th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9171787)
Only once here... but I once did a job in Istanbul for 6 weeks and would commute back and forth each week to London. I would get stopped every time without fail on entering and leaving Turkey. I even got pulled out of the check-in queue once and taken to a separate room to be searched.

just be humble.

You must look dodgy then!! Not suprised that you had problems renting a car in AD :rofl::rofl:

Hello.Kitty Feb 12th 2011 6:23 pm

we got stopped the last time we came through - family with 2 small ratty children, bags full of booze from the Duty Free and er, quite a few food-stuffs and a plastic bottle of cooking brandy in the suitcase... they put everything through the x-ray (not the kids) and didn't even look at the screen. Tick.

zaaboot Feb 12th 2011 6:36 pm

Never going in to Dubai which is nice -even though I look a little bit eeeee and a little bit oooo

But they don't appreciate 'my type :rofl: in the U.S where I do get stopped and questioned every damn time.

Millhouse Feb 13th 2011 3:21 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9171850)
You must look dodgy then!! Not suprised that you had problems renting a car in AD :rofl::rofl:

it all became a bit of a joke. On that particular occasion, I was also stopped just before I got on to the plane and searched again. They were clearly looking for something / someone and thought that person was me but I have no idea what.

alfrombarking Feb 13th 2011 4:06 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9172430)
it all became a bit of a joke. On that particular occasion, I was also stopped just before I got on to the plane and searched again. They were clearly looking for something / someone and thought that person was me but I have no idea what.

well, they stopped me once arrived from London, I think they spotted some binoculars I had and the girls wanted to know if they were night vision and the 'size' so they kept asking ''how big is it'' asked what they said the thing..I was like ohh that? its medium

mind you this was just immediate after Kidon boys did that Al Bustan job with the Hamas dude, so I understood.

Bahtatboy Feb 13th 2011 4:10 am

Bag seach only once in 2 1/2 years coming into AUH. Most interest was in the DVDs, he wasn't too sure about The Big Bang Theory given Penny's (?) boobs on the cover, but it was a pretty cursory check. Always get pulled over at LBA, bag x-rayed and asked if I aware that its illegal to bring certain things into the UK.

Meow Feb 13th 2011 9:02 am

Hi all,

xxx

Flying into DXB - 9/10 times

Flying into LGW - every bloody time!

I don't look like a scruffy mess, I have decent luggage, I am not nervous so I don't know why.

Conclusion: I must look really dodgy :confused:

Spugsy Feb 13th 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9172849)
Flying into DXB - 9/10 times

Flying into LGW - every bloody time!

I don't look like a scruffy mess, I have decent luggage, I am not nervous so I don't know why.

Conclusion: I must look really dodgy :confused:

Definately, you look like a drug lord.

Madam Medusa Feb 13th 2011 9:19 am

never been stopped for my bags to be searched, thank god, what a pain in the arse...but always set off the bleepy thing and have to be frisked...

MM, x

Spugsy Feb 13th 2011 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9172884)
never been stopped for my bags to be searched, thank god, what a pain in the arse...but always set off the bleepy thing and have to be frisked...

MM, x

I never set it off.

What are you doing wrong?

Madam Medusa Feb 13th 2011 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9172901)
I never set it off.

What are you doing wrong?

i used to think it was the underwire in my bra, but then everyone would set it off...so i honestly don't know...

MM, xx

Ethos83 Feb 13th 2011 9:35 am

Too much iron from all the red wine you and Patsy drink?

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9172908)
i used to think it was the underwire in my bra, but then everyone would set it off...so i honestly don't know...

MM, xx

Spugsy Feb 13th 2011 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9172908)

MM, xx

Mrs Spugsy does the same, I lob all my stuff into the tray and never set it off.

Jewellery?

Madam Medusa Feb 13th 2011 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9172919)
Too much iron from all the red wine you and Patsy drink?

i don't ever drink red wine...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Feb 13th 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9172920)
Mrs Spugsy does the same, I lob all my stuff into the tray and never set it off.

Jewellery?

ahhh...maybe it is the bra then, lol...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Feb 13th 2011 9:54 am

metal pins in shoes.

Spugsy Feb 13th 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9172945)
metal pins in shoes.

nipple rings?

Ethos83 Feb 13th 2011 10:02 am

The one advantage of flying out of DXB is that the airline and airport personnel don't pay attention to the one bag carry-on policy. Whenever I fly out I usually can get everything onboard as carry-on. At Christmas this included a medium sized suitcase, a large rucksack, a laptop carrier and a large ikea shopping bag with gifts from my Borneo trip.

Return to DXB from Europe is strictly one small bag + one laptop policy.

MacScot Feb 13th 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9172884)

MM, x

Do you have one of these bleeper gadgets just to get frisked ? ;):)

kittycat1 Feb 13th 2011 10:25 am

I travelled back 9 kg overweight (39 kg in total) plus two large hand luggage bags(probably another 15 kgs)- and they didn't even blink- the power of a silver skywards card!