British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bad Movies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bad-movies-769111/)

Little Boy Aug 22nd 2012 10:31 am

Bad Movies

Avoid this one if at all possible friends. Salmon fishing in Yemen. I was forced to watch it on an airplane and I hated every minute of it.

Here's my review:

A pommy bastard and a uptight prude fall in love for no apparent reason.

NorthernLad Aug 22nd 2012 11:13 am

Re: Bad Movies

Originally Posted by Little Boy (Post 10240026)
Avoid this one if at all possible friends. Salmon fishing in Yemen. I was forced to watch it on an airplane and I hated every minute of it.

Here's my review:

I quite enjoyed it.

Maybe too much complex vocabulary for your tiny antipodean brain?

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 22nd 2012 11:16 am

Here's my review:

Nearly watched that on Millhouse's reference on flight home. Opted for Black Gold instead, fell asleep before the ending. How can Banderas have a Spanish accent as a Qatari geezer?

Kix Aug 22nd 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10240081)
I quite enjoyed it.

I want to know why he has an avatar that looks suspiciously like a butt plug....

Meow Aug 22nd 2012 11:22 am

Here's my review:

Hello whoever you are.

I quite liked it and would suggest that your review is somewhat biased. And of course, the Australian film industry makes such marvellous films... :rolleyes:

EDIT> Who would trust the judgement of a poster who admits to actually fancying cartoon characters anyway?

OleJanx Aug 22nd 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10240101)
Hello whoever you are.

I quite liked it and would suggest that your review is somewhat biased. And of course, the Australian film industry makes such marvellous films... :rolleyes:

EDIT> Who would trust the judgement of a poster who admits to actually fancying cartoon characters anyway?

Are you sure it's not Annoying Yank back? The name and avatar would seeem to follow his level of thinking?

Meow Aug 22nd 2012 11:30 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10240117)
Are you sure it's not Annoying Yank back? The name and avatar would seeem to follow his level of thinking?

Ha, maybe, but I don't think so, as style of writing is different. Look at his previous posts.

OleJanx Aug 22nd 2012 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10240120)
Ha, maybe, but I don't think so, as style of writing is different. Look at his previous posts.

Had a look-see, but I still think it's Mata Hari's nemesis...

Autonomy Aug 22nd 2012 11:39 am

Salmon Fishing - the book is really quite good but the movie does look a bit wet...

Black Gold was better than what I thought it was going to be.

Australia actually does make some pretty good movies. I Am You (also called In Her Skin confusingly) and Animal Kingdom both with Guy Pearce are 2 good ones recently...

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 22nd 2012 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10240147)
Black Gold was better than what I thought it was going to be.

I did that annoying thing of sleeping with 20 ish mins to go and waking up for the last 5mins.

Need to re-watch properly.

Quite liked the horses and swords and action bits, all very well done I think.

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10240143)
Had a look-see, but I still think it's Mata Hari's nemesis...

Me too.

Little Boy Aug 23rd 2012 10:24 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10240081)
I quite enjoyed it.

What!? Its plot focuses on attempts to satisfy a bizarre, indulgent whim of a Yemeni sheikh. Liberation struggles are glossed over, with the imposition of Western values upon the Middle East being celebrated. And its attempt at satirising an Alastair Campbell-style figure in UK politics is unoriginal, and years out of date.

But thats all ok, it's just a movie, but no woman in real life would fall in love with that "guy". It's not believable