Bad mothers...

Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad mothers...

Originally Posted by Meow
How times change.

It is an interesting topic. I'd put money on the divorce affecting you, particularly how your parents handled it.

-
I think all children of divorced parents are affected in some way or other.

some of the affects can show up later in life IE in their 30's and 40's
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
yes, somehow women are expected to be maternal and caring and to put themselves last on the list when it comes to the need of others...but for some of them that isn't always an easy task but it seems a bit of a taboo to say that out loud, which can put a woman under pressure...
I agree with this 100%
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

yes, somehow women are expected to be maternal and caring and to put themselves last on the list when it comes to the need of others...but for some of them that isn't always an easy task but it seems a bit of a taboo to say that out loud, which can put a woman under pressure...
I agree with this. There is not an automatic biological imperative to be maternal, but to declare otherwise, even these days, means that women are assumed to be hard or uncaring.

Double standards certainly apply. If a father works long hours and rarely sees his children then he is just a good breadwinner, but if the mother does likewise, then she is considered negligent or unloving, even with a stay at home father. Certainly these are broad statements, but I find it fascinating that these stereotypes are still largely accepted.

-
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

How times change.

It is an interesting topic. I'd put money on the divorce affecting you, particularly how your parents handled it.

-

course it did! I think divorce affects all kids
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Concierge

I agree with this. There is not an automatic biological imperative to be maternal, but to declare otherwise, even these days, means that women are assumed to be hard or uncaring.

Double standards certainly apply. If a father works long hours and rarely sees his children then he is just a good breadwinner, but if the mother does likewise, then she is considered negligent or unloving, even with a stay at home father. Certainly these are broad statements, but I find it fascinating that these stereotypes are still largely accepted.

-
MH once said a couple of years back when someone questioned her on her high post count that she spent time on here as the posters on here were a bit like her colleagues, I agreed with her at the time and I still do. Sometimes the only adult conversation I get during the day is on here. Four year olds really don't do much for me to be honest with you.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
course it did! I think divorce affects all kids
Sure, but to varying degrees. I know many that are just fine with it. Depends on ages, personality of the child and most important how the parents handle everything. Divorce is never ideal, but neither is living wth parents who fight all the time.

-
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:55 am
Bored liberal

MH once said a couple of years back when someone questioned her on her high post count that she spent time on here as the posters on here were a bit like her colleagues, I agreed with her at the time and I still do. Sometimes the only adult conversation I get during the day is on here. Four year olds really don't do much for me to be honest with you.
But you are more honest that most.

-
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:57 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but to varying degrees. I know many that are just fine with it. Depends on ages, personality of the child and most important how the parents handle everything. Divorce is never ideal, but neither is living wth parents who fight all the time.

-
I agree, but still it must be the hardest thing in the world...to have that 'mummy and daddy don't love each other anymore' talk...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but still it must be the hardest thing in the world...to have that 'mummy and daddy don't love each other anymore' talk...
Oh God its awful, really painful for you and the child, but you know kids are pretty resilient and they accept it.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

So why did she have the kid/s in the first place? Even pets are for keeps, not just for christmas!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:05 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by woocus
So why did she have the kid/s in the first place? Even pets are for keeps, not just for christmas!

I doubt she was planning this when she conceived

-
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
Concierge

-

people often won't admit how their parents divorce has affected them, it is easier for them to say yeah it were fine, no bother. I am yet to meet someone who hasn't when pushed admitted that their parents split affected them one way or another.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:12 pm
Concierge

I didn't even get that, he left and that was that, next time I saw him he had his girlfriend with him. I remember it to this day and it was 35 years ago.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:13 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woocus
doesn't this go for the fathers as well, or are they somehow excused from that lifetime commitment...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

people often won't admit how their parents divorce has affected them, it is easier for them to say yeah it were fine, no bother. I am yet to meet someone who hasn't when pushed admitted that their parents split affected them one way or another.
You are prob right BC, I i have asked my lad a couple of times and he always says yeah, fine, no probs, but I am not sure if he just doesn't want the conversation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.