British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bad Day at the Mall...walk rage!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bad-day-mall-walk-rage-853062/)

Dubaiexile Feb 20th 2015 8:51 am

Bad Day at the Mall...walk rage!!!

Is it me or has a new craze hit the malls re walking around......walking 3,4 or 5abreast and blocking the whole of the aisle (possible made for 6 abreast), without a care in the world or a thought for anyone else!!!!!!!!

Also the ones with an in built radar who know where your are behind them as when you go to pass they automatically change course and block you no matter how much you zig and zag!!!

Then there are the dawdlers who meander along at a snails pace, utilizing the in built radar just to *#ss you off even more!!

And all the above look at you as if you are a martian when you say excuse me politely to pass (my wife say`s when I say excuse me it sounds like *#ck off).

There should be lanes as on the roads....oh no what am I saying arrrrggggghhhh!!!!!!!! Bad day at the Mall

shiva Feb 20th 2015 10:16 am

Re: Bad Day at the Mall...walk rage!!!

About 12 million tourists a year and a sandstorm pretty much guarantees that every bastard will be in the mall today

Pulaski Feb 21st 2015 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 11570872)
..... There should be lanes as on the roads......

Yeah, and they work so well! :rolleyes:

Irishbeekeeper Feb 22nd 2015 6:03 am

I usually have either of my kids in a pram with me so if I find a slacker blocking the lane, I just bump into the back of their legs deliberately, that makes them move and more importantly now they know that someone else will hit them from behind as well, so they start looking behind them more often then....small satisfaction I know, but still..
more more importantly...I have refused to go to any mall on weekends so a weekday is usually a bit better but I do agree with my esteemed colleague that current outdoor conditions will drive most of them towards the ONLY place they know....inside a 'moll'!
My advice, pick up a carrefour shopping trolley from downstairs and mow away ;)

Alexa Feb 22nd 2015 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Moon Flower (Post 11571355)
I touch them on the shoulder and say "MOVE!" and they always move.

Sometimes they'll mutter something, but who cares- Just get outta my way

That or "Yalla". And bumping your cart into them.

Alexa Feb 24th 2015 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Moon Flower (Post 11572980)
How about when you catch yourself doing it because your on the phone or with another person just browsing or whatever? I don't care how rude they are, I jump out of the way and apologize because I know it makes me feel like a jerk when people do that. They usually say "oh, its quite alright" and in just a moment you turn it all into a little love fest.

Ya, that works for a bout the first 6 months. After that, No. Get the **** out of my way or else. Is not unheard of.

And I am not on the phone while shopping in a supermarket. IF I were, I WOULD get out of people's way.

Shard Feb 26th 2015 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11572489)
I usually have either of my kids in a pram with me so if I find a slacker blocking the lane, I just bump into the back of their legs deliberately, that makes them move and more importantly now they know that someone else will hit them from behind as well, so they start looking behind them more often then....small satisfaction I know, but still..
more more importantly...I have refused to go to any mall on weekends so a weekday is usually a bit better but I do agree with my esteemed colleague that current outdoor conditions will drive most of them towards the ONLY place they know....inside a 'moll'!
My advice, pick up a carrefour shopping trolley from downstairs and mow away ;)

How rude. My advice, look forward to getting picked up by the authorities and some well deserved aggro.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 26th 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11577280)
How rude. My advice, look forward to getting picked up by the authorities and some well deserved aggro.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

norsk Mar 1st 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11577280)

Not been to the Middle East eh?! It's not unheard of for people from certain countries whom there are a lot of in this place to go sightseeing in the supermarket with their whole family. Never seen this happen in a normal country..

The other thing which irks me here is when people won't let you get out of the lift because they are either standing just in front of the door or they are pushing you out of the way to get in. Loudly asking them if they are planning on fc**king moving anytime soon usually does the trick, but again this shouldn't be necessary you would have thought...

Irishbeekeeper Mar 1st 2015 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11580138)
Not been to the Middle East eh?! It's not unheard of for people from certain countries whom there are a lot of in this place to go sightseeing in the supermarket with their whole family. Never seen this happen in a normal country..

The other thing which irks me here is when people won't let you get out of the lift because they are either standing just in front of the door or they are pushing you out of the way to get in. Loudly asking them if they are planning on fc**king moving anytime soon usually does the trick, but again this shouldn't be necessary you would have thought...

:goodpost:
Yeah, you are probably right mate!
Or when they try and bum rush you on the metro even before you have gotten off! Drives me insane!
Or when they press both the up as well as down button for the lift just so they can get the lift to their floor quickly! I deliberately make it a point to 'educate' them when I catch one of those!!

Shard Mar 3rd 2015 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 11580378)

Sheeple is the phrase I use. I avoid malls during peak times - shuffling around a mall is not my cup of tea at the best of times. Mostly due to sheeple.

N.

That's the intelligent thing to do, not trying to impose UK standards or ways of doing things where they are not wanted.

Dubaiexile Mar 3rd 2015 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11581945)
That's the intelligent thing to do, not trying to impose UK standards or ways of doing things where they are not wanted.

I can assure that I would not dream of trying to impose normality on anyone who would not even grasp the concept!!! Basic good manners should, I believe transcend all frontiers, creeds and religions. Unfortunately we find ourselves having to remind people of such things as we go through our lives here! I avoid Malls like the plague and only go through duress or absolute necessity, and then for the shortest time I can get away with!

Shard Mar 3rd 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by All_American (Post 11582011)
I'm an American and I don't think i've been in a mall in the last 8 years, and then I sneaked into a side door and right into the Electronic Boutique to get a video game. And I only went into one probably only 3 times in the 20 years before that. Malls are for kids and housewives, and i'd have to be really hard up for something to ever go into one. Its a sad commentary on life in Dubai that, thats the only thing to do there.

How do you spend your leisure time?

Irishbeekeeper Mar 3rd 2015 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11582022)

Drugs, sex and rock and rolling with someone who likes sex while doing drugs and rolling on a rock ofcourse!!

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 4th 2015 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11582022)

Educating peasants on lift etiquette.