Back in Britain...

Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Britain...

Originally Posted by auzdafluff

And Patsy, I did that in the local Spoons. Put my hands under the tap waiting for it to come on, then suddenly realised it a was push to start.
It is so annoying darling isn't it? Also, it is unhygienic, there is no point washing your hands if you then have to touch the tap to turn it off..all those germs just hop straight back on!!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Carpeted bathrooms ? A bit naff, innit ? The chavs, yobs and lowlife are everywhere. I wonder if they have carpeted bathrooms.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:22 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
It is so annoying darling isn't it? Also, it is unhygienic, there is no point washing your hands if you then have to touch the tap to turn it off..all those germs just hop straight back on!!
Forget that. My main bugbear is having to touch the door again. All bathrooms should open out as you're leaving. I'd be interested to know how dirty the handles on pub bathroom doors are compared to say toilet seats etc.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Forget that. My main bugbear is having to touch the door again. All bathrooms should open out as you're leaving. I'd be interested to know how dirty the handles on pub bathroom doors are compared to say toilet seats etc.
Always take a hand towel to open the door with.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Chavs should have separate toilet facilities.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 30th 2012 at 12:23 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by scot47
Chavs should have separate toilet facilitiesa.
I actually agree with you...spooky.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I do laugh when I read threads on a certain ladies forum discussing how shocked one was noticing somebody leave the restroom without washing their hands. The poster tells how she always washes her hands...she will then go down the escalator holding the handrail, push a trolley around the super market, handle money, and then hand her child a sweet or a piece of fruit, which she has carefully washed!!
Then said child will then play with the tv remote!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-a....aspx#/slide-1
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anywhere from £2-£3 for a cappuccino. I think I paid between 12-18 AED in Dubai. Comparable probably because there's a glut of chain and indie coffeshops and the competition is severe.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that is absolutely ridiculous!! but how much is a cup of coffee in London these days?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I do laugh when I read threads on a certain ladies forum discussing how shocked one was noticing somebody leave the restroom without washing their hands. The poster tells how she always washes her hands...she will then go down the escalator holding the handrail, push a trolley around the super market, handle money, and then hand her child a sweet or a piece of fruit, which she has carefully washed!!
Then said child will then play with the tv remote!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-a....aspx#/slide-1
I remember that a few years back right? about the time one of them was distraught because she had no Maid and no one to wash the vegetables
Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:51 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Carpeted bathrooms ? A bit naff, innit ? The chavs, yobs and lowlife are everywhere. I wonder if they have carpeted bathrooms.
If you're a Scot then you'll recall how it felt going to the bathroom in the winter as a child when your feet touched the lino. I vowed never to suffer that as an adult.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I have the cost of living debate with Deanetta all the time. I argue that, if a pint of beer is say three pounds at home, and you only have three pounds after paying 40 pct income tax on five pounds of gross earnings, that is no cheaper than paying five pounds a pint in tax-free Dubai.........
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:30 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
I have the cost of living debate with Deanetta all the time. I argue that, if a pint of beer is say three pounds at home, and you only have three pounds after paying 40 pct income tax on five pounds of gross earnings, that is no cheaper than paying five pounds a pint in tax-free Dubai.........
That makes perfect sense to me.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That makes perfect sense to me.
It doesn't to me. I understand the logic, but it is flawed... the lower down the pay spectrum you are the harder you are hit by Dubai's pricing. It's almost like a regressive tax.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:25 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It doesn't to me. I understand the logic, but it is flawed... the lower down the pay spectrum you are the harder you are hit by Dubai's pricing. It's almost like a regressive tax.
Yes, it's flawed but for most of us it's a reasonable comparison, although perhaps not at 40% tax. I thought the received wisdom was that people only move to the ME for money so most Brits would be higher rate taxpayers in the UK.

Anyway, some things here are more expensive, some are cheaper. *shrugs*
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Yes, it's flawed but for most of us it's a reasonable comparison, although perhaps not at 40% tax. I thought the received wisdom was that people only move to the ME for money so most Brits would be higher rate taxpayers in the UK.
I doubt most would have been higher rate in the UK. High rate tax starts at 40k/ year... or around 20k AED / month. I would guess that there are a lot of Brits here who are close to that. And at income level you can't confuse the 40% marginal tax to the almost 20% effective tax...

I'm always amazed by the income distribution in the UK. Only 25% of taxpayers are higher rate... 60k GBP puts you in the top 5% of earners.

Last edited by Millhouse; Dec 31st 2012 at 12:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.