Back in Britain...

Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Back in Britain...

So I'm no long term expat like some of you but have blissfully ignored / forgotten some of the things I like and loathe about the UK. Xmas trip was first back for 12 months and this is what I noticed:

People drive slowly.
Traffic (2.5 hours from Southampton to Oxford for no reason).
Smoking outside (Quite like it, smoked way less).
Rain.
Pikey/Chav/Scumbag types - Everywhere.
Cheap pints.
Proper Ale / Beer.
Proper pub grub...they put actual bacon in stuff and it's no biggie.
Carpet in Mum's bathroom (Millhouse).
Petrol - 139.9p
German Market in the centre of Southampton, drinking in the street.
25mins in West Quay requires a mortgage for parking.
Change get's put in your hand.
Old tricks - I can still get any cabbie in Salisbury to drop me home for a tenner.
Old people everywhere
Tramps
Cold water for brushing teeth
Everywhere inside has the heating turned up so it's hotter than the sun requiring an explanation that unless it's A/C'd, I'm going to be hot.
EVERYONE is having ****ing babies.
"Yeah, you can drink in Dubai" - That conversation. Repeated.
"Yeah, was 20 degrees when I was flying home" - That conversation. Repeated.
Sister lives on the 4th floor, no lift.

There were loads of things that I noticed that made me chuckle. A lot of it is stating the obvious but I just never think about it anymore.

Still, a good trip home, liver needs a break.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in Britain...

Scamp, are the wannabie-tough kids still wearing Onesies on the streets at night? I bloody loved seeing that when I was back home.

Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Scamp, are the wannabie-tough kids still wearing Onesies on the streets at night? I bloody loved seeing that when I was back home.

http://theedit.republic.co.uk/wp-con...hite-label.jpg
I didn't see any of that. It was mainly just scumbags barging around West Quay that annoyed me and out at night it seemed everyone is lairy and looking for a punch up.

Still, I managed to notice all this stuff whilst still chuckling that you can miss the bowl and not have to wipe it away with the bottom of your sock.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Still, I managed to notice all this stuff whilst still chuckling that you can miss the bowl and not have to wipe it away with the bottom of your sock.
It is marvelous. Does your mum also have the side of the bath carpeted too? Adds that little bit of je ne sais quoi.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:37 am
Account Closed

It is marvelous. Does your mum also have the side of the bath carpeted too? Adds that little bit of je ne sais quoi.
No, that is a plastic / wood panel thing...not sure I've ever seen a carpeted bath panel...that sounds so special.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Mumsy bear had a bathroom years ago, not only was the carpet a vile dark green colour to match the avocado bathroom suite the side panel was carpet, as was the 3 shelf unit that had been built in at the end of the bath, it reminds me now of some of the trucks you see here now with the fitted carpet dashboards
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

The slow driving is a good thing but it takes a while to get your head around it, to me the last time I was in the UK all the cars looked tiny
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
The slow driving is a good thing but it takes a while to get your head around it, to me the last time I was in the UK all the cars looked tiny
Very true.

That British joke thing that was posted the other week is very true as well - we sat and hesitated at a mini roundabout for what seemed an eternity.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Very true.

That British joke thing that was posted the other week is very true as well - we sat and hesitated at a mini roundabout for what seemed an eternity.
I thought my Mother was taking the piss driving so slowly when we went to Asda, it wasn't even worth her getting out of third gear.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:37 am
Account Closed

I thought my Mother was taking the piss driving so slowly when we went to Asda, it wasn't even worth her getting out of third gear.
ASDA? Eurgh.

I took my sister's car to the shops one morning, car park full so just abandoned it Dubai style with hazards on. Came out to a bloke going mental. Classic.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:44 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not letting myself drive for that very reason. I know that I'd be tempted to drive like I do over here.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

ASDA? Eurgh.

I took my sister's car to the shops one morning, car park full so just abandoned it Dubai style with hazards on. Came out to a bloke going mental. Classic.
Did you forget to leave a note with your mobile no on it?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

http://theedit.republic.co.uk/wp-con...hite-label.jpg
Looks like a babygrow !

Wonder if he has a nappy on ?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Did you forget to leave a note with your mobile no on it?
Nah sod that, just point and stop, hazards on, straight to shop.

Bloke was moaning because he had to drive around the car, that was all, I'm not a complete bastard.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The cars seem small, but don't most roads seem narrow too? Not to mention the houses. I always find that people look so miserable and are mostly dressed in grey to match their mood.

I really miss very little about the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.