British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Baby named 'Emirates' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/baby-named-emirates-766156/)

Meow Jul 25th 2012 5:43 am

Baby named 'Emirates'

http://www.7daysindubai.com/Newborn-...ail/story.html

An Arab couple have named their newborn girl Emirates as a token of appreciation to the UAE.

The child was delivered at Burjeel Hospital in Abu Dhabi and Emirates father Morad Al Arabi said: “We are extremely happy to be living such special moments in our lives. We decided to name our newly born girl Emirates as a token of appreciation and gratitude to the UAE.

"We have been happily living in the UAE for the past 18 years. We have been told that our daughter is the first baby to be born in the newly opened Burjeel Hospital. We are glad to be part of the hospital’s milestones.”

I've also heard of a baby boy who was named Burj.

A nice gesture, a ridiculous thing to do, a burden for the child?

kittycat1 Jul 25th 2012 5:50 am

Re: Baby named 'Emirates'

talk about brown nosing!

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 25th 2012 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10191562)

An Arab couple have named their newborn girl Emirates as a token of appreciation to the UAE.

The child was delivered at Burjeel Hospital in Abu Dhabi and Emirates father Morad Al Arabi said: “We are extremely happy to be living such special moments in our lives. We decided to name our newly born girl Emirates as a token of appreciation and gratitude to the UAE.

"We have been happily living in the UAE for the past 18 years. We have been told that our daughter is the first baby to be born in the newly opened Burjeel Hospital. We are glad to be part of the hospital’s milestones.”

****ing tragic.

I hope the parents get bullied as well as the child.

Sodding idiots in this world.

The only hope for them is now natural selection.

flares Jul 25th 2012 5:54 am

canny bit of brown nosing leading to future citizenship and visas for the parents

NorthernLad Jul 25th 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10191562)

Sounds like they are hoping for a sheikh to give them some freebies.

I do know of an English couple who named their daughter Jumeriah (they claimed she was conceived at JBH).

Boomhauer Jul 25th 2012 6:33 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10191600)
Sounds like they are hoping for a sheikh to give them some freebies.

I do know of an English couple who named their daughter Jumeriah (they claimed she was conceived at JBH).

Jumeriah actually sounds like a female name, while Emirates just doesn't sound right.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 25th 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10191613)
Jumeriah actually sounds like a female name, while Emirates just doesn't sound right.

The name is going to be Emirates Al Arabi.

:sick::sick::sick::banghead::banghead::banghead::h ysterical:

Boomhauer Jul 25th 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10191620)
The name is going to be Emirates Al Arabi.

:sick::sick::sick::banghead::banghead::banghead::h ysterical:

Al Arabi is bad enough cause who really needs to officially state they are Arabs , especially in an Arab country.

An ass kissing/brown nosing emoticon is sorely needed. Parents are just shameless.:sick:

Norm_uk Jul 25th 2012 6:59 am

Seems reasonable. I will name my next child Bedfordshire...:confused:

N.

Cypselos Jul 25th 2012 7:05 am

How about Rutland

Meow Jul 25th 2012 7:07 am

Perhaps we should blame the Beckhams for this trend?

Bahtatboy Jul 25th 2012 7:53 am

My youngest son's middle name is Alexander, party due to his conception being connected with Alexandria (the city in Egypt). My daughter has a friend called...er, a country, can't remember which one, because she was conceived there: pretty sure its not Turkey.

Emirates doesn't sound right in English--but does it sound like a girl's name in Arabic?

kittycat1 Jul 25th 2012 7:56 am

why would you name a child after where they are concieved ( Bahtatboy)? I don't get it- I can think of lots of nice names that don't involve countries or counties!

Bahtatboy Jul 25th 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10191729)
why would you name a child after where they are concieved ( Bahtatboy)? I don't get it- I can think of lots of nice names that don't involve countries or counties!

Well, its his middle name, a name that both my wife and I (and he) like, it goes well with his first name and after having pretty clear ideas about what the first two kids would be called, we were stumped. You've got to get inspiration from somewhere :)

Edit to say that he doesn't know.

Meow Jul 25th 2012 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10191739)
Well, its his middle name, a name that both my wife and I (and he) like, it goes well with his first name and after having pretty clear ideas about what the first two kids would be called, we were stumped. You've got to get inspiration from somewhere :)

Edit to say that he doesn't know.

At least Alexander is an actual name, not a random place where the parents once shagged. I like the names Alexander and Alexandra.