British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Baby with cancer cured through marijuana? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/baby-cancer-cured-through-marijuana-804984/)

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 10:04 am

Re: Baby with cancer cured through marijuana?

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834463)
Ah yes because society doesn't have to bear any consequences for heroin addicts who commit crimes to feed their habit.

Society (and the individual) bears the consequences in general for all actions be they illegal or legal.
The point is that the effect or outcomes are the same regardless of the legality.

Addict steals due to his addiction is it any worse if he is addicted to legal alcohol or illegal heroin? Making it illegal has not solved this problem.

weasel decentral Aug 4th 2013 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834454)
"Studies generally show that roughly a quarter of LSD and cannabis users experience some kind of flashback."

Flashback seems ill defined here.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834391)
Yes of course.
And what about flashbacks etc? Alcohol works it's way out of your system, drugs ***** with your mind.

Some do, some don't.

Originally Posted by Theseus (Post 10834393)
Legalisation and regulation of the manufacturing and supply of recreational drugs should happen.

Canabis has benefits for sufferers of certain diseases (MS for example) and needs further testing to find out what other benefits it could have. However the levels of THC in the current supply available in the UK are through the roof and I "believe" this is responsible for a number of mental health issues within young adults in the UK. Regulation of the supply could go a long way to stemming this problem.

Yes and no. I do agree that very potent types of weed can have a negative effect but this generally tends to be only in the case of people who are prone to mental illness. Weed doesn't cause it but it sure as hell adds to the problem.

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834397)
Many studies show nicotine to be more physically addictive than heroin and cocaine. (http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html) and it kills many, many more people than illegal drugs combined. Booze ruins people's lives too. Ever lived with a proper alcoholic (not the jolly functional type, I mean the type that has a complete and usually negative personality change after a few drinks).

I'm not convinced on that to be honest. I know plenty of folk who have either had a cigarette and never touched on again or folk who are weekend smokers. Where as I have also seen people go down the smack route and it very quicky take hold of them and decimate their life.

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10834429)
You did look at the link I posted on the study? " 'a transitory recurrence of emotions and perceptions originally experienced while under the influence of a psychedelic drug'.1 Flashbacks are usually associated with LSD, DOM and cannabis use."

Not convinced about flash backs and cannabis use. After years of heavy use in the UK during Uni and knowing a lot (as in most folk I knew) who regularly smoked it I only ever encountered one person who had an adverse reaction to weed and he used to smoke heavy skunk day in, day out by the bucket load.

jam25mack Aug 4th 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10834433)
self regulation comes with age mate, and even then to some it never comes :)
the newly 'of-age' with any form of paying job tend to go nuts when they are allowed to pub it and some of them end up either jobless, or in accidents etc

if you legalize pot, your throwing another variable in there

I say legalize the drug (only pot, nothing heavier) only AFTER you hit 38 and can show a good credit and job history along with a nice bank statement.
Sort of like applying for a visa, walk in to a government controlled / regulated office with your papers and say 'Hello, I would like to buy some pot please'
Go through the membership process and get a valid Membership card which can be used to buy from local pot-shops
We might be on to something here! :amen:

So that would mean that I would be ineligible for another 4 years..... really... that's a crazy idea. :thumbdown:

How can you say that someone like me who is well qualified, in a good job, very very well traveled and has lived in 6 different countries on three continents cannot be trusted to make up my own mind when it comes to having a joint or two. Lunacy! :eek:

21 maybe. ;)

Tockalosh Aug 4th 2013 3:53 pm

I am vehemently anti drugs, well except my 40 a day Marlboro habit and my love of all alcohol except Port and desert wine

I do love the way people rattle on about legalizing it and then the government can get the taxes and spend it on old peoples homes and schools for the handicapped

If they ever did go down this route and I doubt Middle England would ever it permit it, then they would tax the shit out of it. You would only be able to get some low tar equivalent so what would happen is exactly the same as happens now with fags and booze. You buy a couple of cartons or bottles from the bloke in the pub car park who has just come back from Poland.

You could down the ozzie route and let people grow the stuff in their back yards without hindrance as long as they don't flog it on. Happy days. But look at the rates of mental illness in Oz.

I'll stick with my Marlboro and Matusalem platino.

I remember chatting with a bloke in Oz who was quite open about the fact that for 2 years he was a full time cultivator with all the lights and water systems in his house etc. Was reaping crop after crop but after he had paid for his sons uni abroad he put another couple of crops through to buy his caravan and make like the grey nomad for a few years. He did say that he had to rip the inside of the house when he had finished as the smell kept coming through no matter how many times they painted it.
That shit cant be good for you

scot47 Aug 4th 2013 6:13 pm

The weedoholics will now use this dubious story to persuade us all that it should be legal.

weasel decentral Aug 5th 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10835000)
The weedoholics will now use this dubious story to persuade us all that it should be legal.

I doubt even the most optimistic pothead would be using a spurious story like this to push for legalisation.

But you should try and overcome your teaching background a little and have an open mind on some things. Hard to do I understand when you are used to learning by rote, 20 years in the desert teaching Saudis how to:
  1. The letters of the English alphabet (intermediate class)
  2. Put them in the right order (advanced class)
That's going to affect any sort of innovative mind you may have had before:blink:

Irishbeekeeper Aug 5th 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10834535)
So that would mean that I would be ineligible for another 4 years..... really... that's a crazy idea. :thumbdown:

How can you say that someone like me who is well qualified, in a good job, very very well traveled and has lived in 6 different countries on three continents cannot be trusted to make up my own mind when it comes to having a joint or two. Lunacy! :eek:

21 maybe. ;)

:rofl:
well I just threw that number out there since I am now 38 and feel that am in a good position for self regulation, thats all
but for serious debate purposes, 21? no way, that is way way too early mate
maybe 30
or maybe an individual interview system and the end result should be based on their answers and not on their age

the point made a while ago that why let the underworld / terrorists be the only one benefiting from the crazy profit margins of the drug trade, I totally agree with :thumbup:

UKCityGent Aug 5th 2013 9:16 am

So im still confused with the original point:

Did marijuana "cure" the kid or is it poppycock ?

mikewot Aug 5th 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10835732)
Did marijuana "cure" the kid or is it poppycock ?

As 'Cashy' died on 14th Nov 2012 there was obviously no cure.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 5th 2013 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10835755)
As 'Cashy' died on 14th Nov 2012 there was obviously no cure.

What?? Ah man I did not know that, now I'm sad :(

UKCityGent Aug 5th 2013 6:17 pm

Now to the point of making money out of marijuana.

I wonder if there could be an commodities exchange for dope ?

I suppose people would want full delivery of their options !

jam25mack Aug 12th 2013 8:05 am

Seemed to work wonder for this little chap! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-epilepsy.html

Yoohoo Aug 12th 2013 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10834430)
I'd stop at things that can cause flashbacks and don't leave the system...then again I suppose a test can be devised to stop people who have that in their system from every working in any kind of critical profession or operating machinery.

N.

There is a test to detect THC levels already. My don't-touch-drugs husband was the only person in his firm who could calibrate extremely sensitive x-ray machines used for airport security because everybody else's THC levels sent the machines mental.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 12th 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10846277)
Seemed to work wonder for this little chap! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-epilepsy.html

A similar story is on CNN right now