Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Baby abadoned on Gulf Air flight from Qatar to Philippines.

Baby abadoned on Gulf Air flight from Qatar to Philippines.

Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baby abadoned on Gulf Air flight from Qatar to Philippines.

A baby was found abandoned on a Gulf Air flight from Qatar to the Philippines.
The mother has been found and she says she was raped by her employer and his wife forced her to leave. She hid her pregnancy from them but had to give birth in-flight.

I am wondering why she didn't have an abortion, following might be some reasons:

a) Scared what the employer and the Qatari authorities would do to an unmarried pregnant woman . Especially someone from South East Asia.

b) She was for intents and purposes imprisoned in the employer's house.

c) Didn't know who/where to seek help

Well she obviously shouldn't have abandoned the child but I can't imagine the feelings she was going through.

Is the employer ever going to be brought to justice? Assuming her story is legit, which knowing the Middle East and their treatment of housemaids, is not hard to believe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_719970.html

BTW
Even before I started reading the article, when I saw the heading say Filipino woman gives birth on plane, my immediate hunch it was Gulf related.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby abadoned on Gulf Air flight from Qatar to Philippines.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
A baby was found abandoned on a Gulf Air flight from Qatar to the Philippines.
The mother has been found and she says she was raped by her employer and his wife forced her to leave. She hid her pregnancy from them but had to give birth in-flight.

I am wondering why she didn't have an abortion, following might be some reasons:

a) Scared what the employer and the Qatari authorities would do to an unmarried pregnant woman . Especially someone from South East Asia.

b) She was for intents and purposes imprisoned in the employer's house.

c) Didn't know who/where to seek help

Well she obviously shouldn't have abandoned the child but I can't imagine the feelings she was going through.

Is the employer ever going to be brought to justice? Assuming her story is legit, which knowing the Middle East and their treatment of housemaids, is not hard to believe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_719970.html

BTW
Even before I started reading the article, when I saw the heading say Filipino woman gives birth on plane, my immediate hunch it was Gulf related.

Having just returned from Manila a couple of days ago, this was in the local news over there.
I am happy to say they have found the mother and is now in hospital getting the treatment she requires.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 7:59 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

What seems odd to me is why the OP wanted to know why the poor girl failed to have an abortion. How on earth can a Filipina housemaid get an abortion over here?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

or she could just have been screwing around and decided to cry rape to deflect the criticism she gets for dumping a baby on a plane
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
or she could just have been screwing around and decided to cry rape to deflect the criticism she gets for dumping a baby on a plane
poor innocent new born aside ..you say screwing around like its something to be discouraged
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel central
poor innocent new born aside ..you say screwing around like its something to be discouraged
You seem to have judged the tone of the bored perfectly. Welcome!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
What seems odd to me is why the OP wanted to know why the poor girl failed to have an abortion. How on earth can a Filipina housemaid get an abortion over here?
Well assuming she had planned to abandon the baby, I was a bit surprised that she didn't seek an abortion. Not saying she should have got one, just that women in her position do have that option but then again this is the Gulf so I mention later she may not have had the choice.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:48 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Indeed. Abortion is highly illegal in all GCC countries.

It's also illegal in the Philippines as well thanks to the Catholic Church's influence over the population and government policy makers.

These sorts of policies ensure the continued repression of women and actually help to create both mental and material poverty (you only have to see the lower education standards and high birth rates in the Philippines to understand that. Smaller familes means more money to send the kids to better schools).

Sad really.

N.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:08 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

It's also illegal in the Philippines as well thanks to the Catholic Church's influence over the population and government policy makers.

These sorts of policies ensure the continued repression of women and actually help to create both mental and material poverty (you only have to see the lower education standards and high birth rates in the Philippines to understand that. Smaller familes means more money to send the kids to better schools).

Sad really.

N.
yes... no one can have an abortion here but if you're [really, really] desperate and can't leave there are a good few sites/people who "recommend" taking a big cocktail of various over-the-counter contraceptive pills to make it happen.

Shocking that it should have to come to that for some.

Shocking also that because of the rules of the land here, neither the woman or baby had any sort of antenatal care, help during the delivery or postnatal care.

I'm sure it's not exactly easy to give birth in a loo, put your new baby in a bin and walk away without a second thought...
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

N.
Just getting pregnant without being married is illegal and sends you to prison!
Old Sep 19th 2010, 5:40 pm
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

I think we have to try to put ourselves in her shoes. She is a maid, probably paid a sh1t salary, potentially a Roman Catholic carrying another mans baby and leaving to her home country where has to face the probable disgrace of her family, the loss of her husband and whatever else she may have to go through.

If the story is accurate, then she should have nothing but our compassion at what must have been a deplorable situation. She was the victim of a crime and yet if she had had the baby she would have been labelled the criminal - sick IMHO.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I'm sure it's not exactly easy to give birth in a loo, put your new baby in a bin and walk away without a second thought...
Very good point.

The mind shudders at just imagining it!!

Shocking stuff.

Also, incredible that the airline didn't notice she was pregnant / due, the cabin crew didn't hear someone giving birth in their bathroom, and didn't notice one person in there for quite a while (I'm assuming she didn't come out in ten minutes flat!).

Staggering really.

Sadly, far too many unwanted births happen the world over, and far too newborns are left unwanted in dumpsters and on church doorsteps even in the US.

Its one thing this happening 300 years ago when the Foundling Hospital was formed in London just for this purpose... but in the 21st century? Not much development, is there.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:01 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Just getting pregnant without being married is illegal and sends you to prison!
Having adult consensual sex with someone you are not married to is a felony in every GCC state too...and even living with a member of the opposite sex you are not married to (unless related) is a illegal.

...just think about that for a second - it's completely insane isn't it?

N.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Having adult consensual sex with someone you are not married to is a felony in every GCC state too...and even living with a member of the opposite sex you are not married to (unless related) is a illegal.

N.

In Saudi, just being with someone of the opposite sex you are not related to can get you into trouble!

Last time I flew in from Europe I was sitting next to a Saudi girl, mid 20s, on the plane. She had US citizenship as well and was doing a post-grad mathematics course in the US. Whilst we chatted happily on the plane, we both knew that from the moment she stepped off the plane, having donned her black sack, we would have to ignore each other.

Regarding the thread subject - in the absence of any information to the contrary - sympathy to the mother, who was in very desperate circumstances.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

N.
Yes indeed, but even more insane the fatwa of one saudi imam, that breast feeding a man makes him a familymember and ergo, you can share a car or whatever with him.................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.