British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   B&Bs in Blighty, with a blighter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/b-bs-blighty-blighter-753686/)

Bongoman2 Apr 3rd 2012 11:21 am

B&Bs in Blighty, with a blighter

Am heading over to the UK this summer for a whirlwind tour.
2 weddings in 2 weeks. First up Norf and then the next weekend down Sarf.

I thought a nice little drive down along through Lakes district, then Cotswolds would be nice, show my 18month old boy a bit of countryside, but every bloody B&B says no kids. Must I stay in a dodgy rent-a-room motel? They'll take my money I'm sure, but I'm looking for something charming, not motorway-ish.

Most places say Kids welcome (over 12yo only), 1 place even said Kids welcome (over 16yo only + will be charged adult rate!!)

They're having a larf surely?

Meow Apr 3rd 2012 11:26 am

Re: B&Bs in Blighty, with a blighter

How about smuggling the child into the B&B in your suitcase? Rick Stein used to do that with his dog...

*helpful face*

Bongoman2 Apr 3rd 2012 11:44 am

Funnily enough most B&Bs are very dog friendly. Its just the kids they are not keen on.

britexpat76 Apr 3rd 2012 12:09 pm

I assume they are not that keen on kids as the walls are about 5mm thick and you may disturb guests..........Doesn't stop fat Baz trying to knock Tina the cleaner through the headboard all ******* night though keeping me awake.

Should be no kids and married couples only.

auzdafluff Apr 3rd 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 9986787)
I assume they are not that keen on kids as the walls are about 5mm thick and you may disturb guests..........Doesn't stop fat Baz trying to knock Tina the cleaner through the headboard all ******* night though keeping me awake.

Should be no kids and married couples only.

Why? Do married couples not have sex? :p

Autonomy Apr 3rd 2012 4:51 pm

Probably not what you are after, but these guys have always been amazing. Don't have kids so can't help there, but have stayed in their recommended places all over the world and all have been great.

And no I don't work for them (Bob - put the spam gun down...)

http://www.i-escape.com/united-kingdom/boutique-hotels

Bob Apr 3rd 2012 4:58 pm

lol

britexpat76 Apr 4th 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9987237)
Why? Do married couples not have sex? :p

Thought that was the Idea, well according to 1980's comedians. Probably why I'm single. Les Dawson has a lot to answer for.

The Dean Apr 5th 2012 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 9986728)

I thought a nice little drive down along through Lakes district, then Cotswolds would be nice, show my 18month old boy a bit of countryside, but every bloody B&B says no kids. Must I stay in a dodgy rent-a-room motel? They'll take my money I'm sure, but I'm looking for something charming, not motorway-ish.

Most places say Kids welcome (over 12yo only), 1 place even said Kids welcome (over 16yo only + will be charged adult rate!!)

No kids? That policy is boycott-worthy in my book................

I know it's a naff suggestion but Premier Inn, Travelodge, etc, have always been fine for me, and kids are welcome..............

mikewot Apr 5th 2012 3:29 am

Try a website called smoothhound dot co dot uk, loads of B&B's plus details on facilities and kid friendliness (or not).

Pomster Apr 5th 2012 12:43 pm

If not B&Bs try Holiday Inn Expresses- they have popped up all over the place in the last couple of years and are very welcoming to kids. We use them a fair amount with our 4 year old. They are an upmarket motel/cheap hotel, but reasonable quality. You get the same standard in every hotel.

They are fairly dull but always clean and have an OK breakfast.

zoukla Apr 7th 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bongoman2 (Post 9986728)

DH and i had the same discussion only recently having been back last summer and was appalled at the so- called family rooms. After being spoiled with 4 and 5 star accommodations here you will need to temper your expectations.
Someone told us to try some of the local estate agents if you are going to be there for a week or more. They have short term lets. If you really want some comfort and splash a bit of cash try http://www.servicedapartments.co.uk/

Good Luck:thumbup:

Bongoman2 Apr 9th 2012 11:28 am

Every time I think of Holiday Inn express, Travelodge or Premier Inn I have expect to see Alan Partridge strolling through the foyer.

We ended up finding a B&B farm stay in the Lakes district that was cool with kids, even offered to get us a cot bed.

Just need to find somewhere in Northern Wales. Any suggestions for places to visit on the drive down through Wales. We will be stopping in to Bron-yr-aur to pay my respects to the greatest rock band of all time