British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Autofit, Al Quoz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/autofit-al-quoz-853616/)

Millhouse Mar 1st 2015 10:08 am

Autofit, Al Quoz

hello - does anyone know if Autofit in Al Quoz are any good? Anyone used them?

Zurich sent my car to some terrible workshop in Rashidya and I complained, so are now suggesting Autofit.

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 12:48 am

Re: Autofit, Al Quoz

Have you been rolling around in the desert Millie ?

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11583289)
Have you been rolling around in the desert Millie ?

yup. I was going to join your trip this weekend, but the FJ won't be ready in time...

I bent the front shocks and a few other things when hitting a rather large hole that i could not avoid. :lol:

Irishbeekeeper Mar 5th 2015 5:48 am

Thats coz you couldnt see it coz its a horrible car with exactly 100 brazillian blind corners!

"a rather large hole that i could not avoid".......mate....cmon! ;)

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11583424)
Thats coz you couldnt see it coz its a horrible car with exactly 100 brazillian blind corners!

"a rather large hole that i could not avoid".......mate....cmon! ;)

Ok...

I was on sabikah, doing about 110-120k following a car who was kicking up a lot of dust. I moved 2 meters to his left to get clearer vision. Just as I did so, I saw two perfectly square dug holes about 1.5ft sq. and 2ft deep. I was going too fast to swerve and so had to eat one of them.

I finished the trip but noticed that the car was sitting about 4 inches lower at the front vs. the back (and otherside). Front shock pretty bent up.

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 6:31 am

Sorry to hear that Millie. Was the FJ on stock or aftermarket shocks ? Got it in my head you had a SWB patrol for scudding in the sand ?

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11583449)
Sorry to hear that Millie. Was the FJ on stock or aftermarket shocks ? Got it in my head you had a SWB patrol for scudding in the sand ?

Ah, the Patrol is in car heaven... FJ is on a 2-inch lift, that was fitted by Toyota as a 'stock' addition. The shock was slightly bent, along with a damaged wheel bearing, knuckle, sway bar... it was a very hard knock.

<but the insurance are fixing it?

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 10:03 am

How do you rate the FJ ?

We are in car hunting mode right now. From a tech perspective I was set on an Xterra with the off road package but we just can't fit all the family camping stuff in and on it so looks like another F150 with a 1,5 cab. Didn't expect that outcome.

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11583604)
How do you rate the FJ ?

We are in car hunting mode right now. From a tech perspective I was set on an Xterra with the off road package but we just can't fit all the family camping stuff in and on it so looks like another F150 with a 1,5 cab. Didn't expect that outcome.

FJs are pure marmite. Personally, I love mine and they don't really need the lift for the desert. I've been on trips where the Jeeps have struggled to keep up with me (even in very small tight areas), and equally, I've been on trips where I have struggled to keep up with the Jeeps.

I like the FJ for camping. If you are feeling lazy, its big enough to sleep in the damn thing too.

The Xterra is nice. Cheap as chips these days, but long wheel base (like your F150). The FJ is a good middle ground between LWB and SWB.

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 12:08 pm

Did look at the FJ on line and not an unreasonable price for mid range or extreme. When we go camping we end up with a shed load of stuff to take, more like glamping. I am not a fan of jeeps but even looked at wrangler unlimited with the mopar lift kit on they had in SZR at 135k however they had sold them all. What to do ? Keep coming back to a 1.5 door F150 with the 6.2. Hope HSBC are in a happy mood

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11583716)
Did look at the FJ on line and not an unreasonable price for mid range or extreme. When we go camping we end up with a shed load of stuff to take, more like glamping. I am not a fan of jeeps but even looked at wrangler unlimited with the mopar lift kit on they had in SZR at 135k however they had sold them all. What to do ? Keep coming back to a 1.5 door F150 with the 6.2. Hope HSBC are in a happy mood

I paid 104k for an 'approved' Extreme from Toyota. It was 5 months old. bargain and had no signs of off-road use.

Of course, all that has now changed and it's ****ed. crappy Garage can't source the parts (just like I said they would not be able to)

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 1:06 pm

Wow they are 150k new now. That was a major bargain. Have steered away from used for fear of buying one driven by a local !

Out of interest how did you send the patrol to heaven ?

Millhouse Mar 5th 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11583778)
Wow they are 150k new now. That was a major bargain. Have steered away from used for fear of buying one driven by a local !

Out of interest how did you send the patrol to heaven ?

it was an amazing deal. It was marked up for 125k. I thought it was a new one then the salesman explained how it was an extreme and showroom car etc. Next we are talking price, 3 days later, I bought it after he got Head office clearance for the massive discount.

Actually, I sold the Patrol as I moved house and didn't have space for three cars. The person I sold it to ragged the gearbox in the desert, I believe.

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 2:31 pm

Are you not on the ranches anymore then ?

Rent is up in June but with price increase it's cheaper to take a big place in umm sequim or barsha over looking the park. Nothing ever stays static in Dubai

Tockalosh Mar 5th 2015 2:33 pm

Will have a nosy in Toyota this weekend. Did you just come out and offer 104 for a laugh or did they propose it ?