British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Auto / iPad / Tech heads (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/auto-ipad-tech-heads-724596/)

Spugsy Jul 12th 2011 9:24 am

Auto / iPad / Tech heads

Is there any way of running a flash site on the browser on an iPad?

Apple stopped flash from working but I know someone who is trying to get a flash site to run and obviously they can't.

Ta.

Millhouse Jul 12th 2011 9:30 am

Re: Auto / iPad / Tech heads

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9490224)
Is there any way of running a flash site on the browser on an iPad?

Apple stopped flash from working but I know someone who is trying to get a flash site to run and obviously they can't.

Ta.

Jailbreak it then add the app Frash. Void the warranty in the process.

What a pile of crap they really are. Against my better judgement I bought one in the US. Had to take the first one back, second one works but is just rubbish, damn itunes, no flash, crappy front camera.

I've given mine to Mini... there are some great apps for learning to read and count although I'm sure a speak and spell would have been cheaper.

auzdafluff Jul 13th 2011 3:36 am

Flash is crap to be honest. It's a wreck of web 2.0 and should be avoided at all costs. What's more, the tablets that do run flash, run like a crap with it.

If they need to use a flash website, why don't they do it on a PC?

paca Jul 13th 2011 7:30 am

I am still suprised this is still a problem

The issue is mostly based on the lack of a mouse pointer - its broke and apple are not fixing it.

So, iPhone / touch screen devices have been out long enough for people to convert websites to touchscreen friendly designs. If they don't then they don't really care about who is using the site I guess.

things like flash games are unimportant as game "apps" are specifically developed for devices

norsk Jul 13th 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by paca (Post 9492458)
I am still suprised this is still a problem

The issue is mostly based on the lack of a mouse pointer - its broke and apple are not fixing it.

So, iPhone / touch screen devices have been out long enough for people to convert websites to touchscreen friendly designs. If they don't then they don't really care about who is using the site I guess.

things like flash games are unimportant as game "apps" are specifically developed for devices

flash is not good regardless of whether you are on an apple device or in a normal browser. personally i don't like flash on websites. it is lazy coding basically.

also the flash viewer application has had a number of very serious security flaws over the last year or two which means people should really reconsider whether they want it installed on their computers at all. and if you must have it you must definitely ensure you update it frequently.

paca Jul 13th 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9492642)
also the flash viewer application has had a number of very serious security flaws

Not really a security issue but reminds me of about 10 years ago when mobile internet and free wifi for laptops about was rare or non-exsistant. so on holiday there was a couple internet kiosks setup in hotel lounge, cost $10 or something for not very long but needed to use it so paid. As I am using it I noticed that the internet was on all the time but this "flash app" that took credit details and controled the access was not allowing certain things and the windows policy didnt allow the alt-tab and task manager type shortcuts. So the developer must have been pretty pleased with his good looking solution that was fairly well buttoned up... that is unless you right clicked the flash app screen and click on "about".... opened up a new unrestricted internet explorer window to show you the adobe page.... :p