Authentic Tiramisu

Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:46 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Authentic Tiramisu

This from my Italian friend. And its the best I've ever tasted.

Ingredients
- 400g “Savoiardi” biscuits
- 150g Sugar
- 3 eggs (as fresh as possible)
- 400g Marscarpone cheese (as fresh as possible)
- 8 small cups of coffee (no sugar)
- 2 shot glasses of Cognac
- Cocoa powder

Procedure
- Prepare the coffee and put it all in a big cup, and add the Cognac.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk in a tall container until you get a very soft foam.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar with an electric whisk, then add Mascarpone cheese and the previously whisked egg whites. Now whisk / fold by hand (very gently) until you get a uniformly even cream.
- Take a wide container or shallow bowl (I use shallow, rectangular Tupperware containers) and spread a first base of cream, cover now with a layer of biscuits after dipping them (for a very very short time) in the coffee. Spread a second layer of cream on top and cover with another layer of biscuits. Spread the last layer of cream and finally sprinkle a very thin layer of cocoa powder on top.
- Put the Tiramisu in the fridge and let it consolidate for at least 5 hours.
- Try not to eat all in one sitting.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Authentic Tiramisu

I think we shuold start a little 'come dine wih me' club and you should cook/make Tiramisu every night!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

seriously dude- that isn't tiramisu- thats why noone else maks it like your wife as your missus is making cake- Tiramisu isn't cake!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be another one to disagree but it doesn't look like tiramisu to me either - and believe me when I say I've seen plenty of them.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent the last 20 years in Italy and this is what it usually looks like:

http://www.google.it/images?hl=it&rl...ed=0CB0QsAQwAw
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Baby Fat
My wife grew up on Taylor Street in Chicago. This is authentic Italian Tiramisu
a la americana
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Baby Fat
This is what my wife makes!?
http://www.procedureman.com/uploaded...isu-722356.jpg
I don't care if you insult me, but i'm not going to sit here and listen to you insult my wifes Tiramisu
I didn't insult you and neither did I insult what your wife makes. I just said that it didn't look like the tiramisu I have seen here in the last 20 years.

If you both like it and it tastes great then buon appetito.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:48 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
This from my Italian friend. And its the best I've ever tasted.

Ingredients
- 400g “Savoiardi” biscuits
- 150g Sugar
- 3 eggs (as fresh as possible)
- 400g Marscarpone cheese (as fresh as possible)
- 8 small cups of coffee (no sugar)
- 2 shot glasses of Cognac
- Cocoa powder

Procedure
- Prepare the coffee and put it all in a big cup, and add the Cognac.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk in a tall container until you get a very soft foam.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar with an electric whisk, then add Mascarpone cheese and the previously whisked egg whites. Now whisk / fold by hand (very gently) until you get a uniformly even cream.
- Take a wide container or shallow bowl (I use shallow, rectangular Tupperware containers) and spread a first base of cream, cover now with a layer of biscuits after dipping them (for a very very short time) in the coffee. Spread a second layer of cream on top and cover with another layer of biscuits. Spread the last layer of cream and finally sprinkle a very thin layer of cocoa powder on top.
- Put the Tiramisu in the fridge and let it consolidate for at least 5 hours.
- Try not to eat all in one sitting.

OK sounds interesting but can you please explain the coffee sections of the recipe. Why 8 small cups?...if you are just going to quickly dip the biscuits..what's wrong with a large cup of coffee? I presume the coffee is to be cold?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:38 pm

You know why I think it says 8 small cups?
I think it is the equivalent of 8 espresso but when Italians make this dish they do indeed make a larger pot of coffee. It is strong Italian coffee though and contrary to the above recipe can be sugared to taste.

Not everybody uses cognac either. Some use marsala and most use nothing but the coffee.

Yes - coffee should be cooled before dipping. The impatient cook does not dip but just dribbles coffee directly over the biscuit layer.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
OK sounds interesting but can you please explain the coffee sections of the recipe. Why 8 small cups?...if you are just going to quickly dip the biscuits..what's wrong with a large cup of coffee? I presume the coffee is to be cold?
Si, Lorna's right. My friend makes the coffee in one of those aluminium screw-apart coffee pots (they've probably got a name) where the water goes in the bottom half, the coffee in the middle bit, and then it percolates into the top when you put it on the heat.

Nescafe would do, I suppose, but I think its a bit like the wine you use in cooking--the dish is only as good as the wine you use.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:20 am

One of these?
It's called a moka.
Attached Thumbnails Authentic Tiramisu-mokapot2.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:23 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
One of these?
It's called a moka.
That's the one. Grazie Lorna.

By the way, the biscuits are available at Lulu Supermarket in Khalidya.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:30 am

Prego.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I use Tia Maria - delicious! and a bit more than two shots- just keep tipping it in!
Old May 1st 2010, 4:59 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
You know why I think it says 8 small cups?
I think it is the equivalent of 8 espresso but when Italians make this dish they do indeed make a larger pot of coffee. It is strong Italian coffee though and contrary to the above recipe can be sugared to taste.

Not everybody uses cognac either. Some use marsala and most use nothing but the coffee.

Yes - coffee should be cooled before dipping. The impatient cook does not dip but just dribbles coffee directly over the biscuit layer.
Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Si, Lorna's right. My friend makes the coffee in one of those aluminium screw-apart coffee pots (they've probably got a name) where the water goes in the bottom half, the coffee in the middle bit, and then it percolates into the top when you put it on the heat.

Nescafe would do, I suppose, but I think its a bit like the wine you use in cooking--the dish is only as good as the wine you use.
Thanks..makes more sense..will have to try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.