British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Australia at xmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/australia-xmas-747817/)

kittycat1 Feb 8th 2012 8:23 am

Australia at xmas

So I'm going for Christmas/New year and my bday end of this year. Staying with friends mostly and a bit of exploring on my own, so whose been, what must I see and what must i avoid? New Year in Sydney or go somewhere else? Christmas on the beach? Best time to fly? Should i fly direct or wheres worth going via?

I understand its forking hot so me and my lily whites will be on the offensive.

Tips please people

:D

PS i know it early but things have to get booked so trying to make an informed decision before booking flights etc

Ethos83 Feb 8th 2012 8:48 am

Re: Australia at xmas

Sydney's chinatown is fantastic.

I preferred Melbourne on the whole and found it a more 'civilised' city but it's understandable why Sydney gets the love it does.

Go up to Cairns and float around the Great Barrier Reef. Amazing.

If you have time it's worth the flight and expense to go down to Tasmania or the South Island of New Zealand.

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9890267)
So I'm going for Christmas/New year and my bday end of this year. Staying with friends mostly and a bit of exploring on my own, so whose been, what must I see and what must i avoid? New Year in Sydney or go somewhere else? Christmas on the beach? Best time to fly? Should i fly direct or wheres worth going via?

I understand its forking hot so me and my lily whites will be on the offensive.

Tips please people

:D

PS i know it early but things have to get booked so trying to make an informed decision before booking flights etc

kittycat1 Feb 8th 2012 8:53 am

Ethos thanks- I won't ahve time to do kiwiland but have visited the south island before- I think when I plan my wrap up tour from here I might start out there though and work my way back to blighty.

Barrier reef is on the list though definately! wonder if my mate has been there yet...

How far is tasmania away- they always used to talk about it in Neighbours...

Ethos83 Feb 8th 2012 8:56 am

Far, far away. If you can't do NZ it's probably not wise to do Tasmania.

It'll be broiling hot in Australia around Christmas. The Blue Mountains outside Sydney may help cool you down?

One thing about Australia - just watch out for spiders. They are everywhere. Big ones.

Oh, almost forgot, some stunning coastline in Queensland, especially Whitehaven beach and the Whitsunday Islands.

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9890305)
Ethos thanks- I won't ahve time to do kiwiland but have visited the south island before- I think when I plan my wrap up tour from here I might start out there though and work my way back to blighty.

Barrier reef is on the list though definately! wonder if my mate has been there yet...

How far is tasmania away- they always used to talk about it in Neighbours...

kittycat1 Feb 8th 2012 9:20 am

eww I'm trying not to think about the spiders! It's always put me off going til now, but I can't let creepy crawlies stop me from seeing the world...but I'm terrified- not going to think about them! eeeek!:eek:

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 8th 2012 10:08 am

It's hard to go wrong in Australia because it has every kind of attraction (except maybe much truly historical). Don't be afraid of the nature - it's truly amazing and the most distinctive thing there. There are lots of low-stress ways to enjoy it with many brilliant wildlife parks - Featherdale in the western suburbs of Sydney is a great example.

The other thing about Oz is the scale - it is enormous and distances between major centres are very large. Therefore the key is probably to be very selective about what you want to experience: Sydney is unique and apart from it's well-known distinctive sights, is a great base for any number of quintessential Australian experiences: the beaches, funky inner-city suburbs like Darlinghurst and Paddington and Surry Hills, the Blue Mountains as mentioned before, Hunter Valley wine tours, attractive coastal drives even some outback if you venture far enough.

Then time and budget will dictate the rest I guess.

I'm bemused by how geographically challenged people on here seem to randomly be. A simple glance at a map will reveal that Tasmania is a lot closer to Sydney or Melbourne than Cairns, for example. Hobart, at the very bottom end of Tasmania is a 1.5-2 hour flight from SYD while Cairns is 3+ hours. Both offer very distinctive experiences - Tasmania a bit like the South island while Cairns is where ancient tropical rainforest meets the barrier reef. Melbourne is an enjoyable bustling, ethnic, foodie city with lots of nice surrounding countryside and coastal areas (Mornington peninsula particularly recommended) but it's not especially distinctive in my view. Then there is the red centre with Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Alice Springs or Darwin and the very wild northern outback. The problem with the north, including Cairns at the time you will be there is that they will be entering the rainy season, imaginatively known as The Wet for very good reason. As the west coast is nearly half way back to Dubai that is probably not practical as part of a trip centered on Sydney or Melbourne (unless you stopped off en route).

So choose where you want to go well in advance to avoid wasting a lot of time and money. You will be visiting in peak season so everything will be busy and even more expensive than usual so essential to book ahead. Cheap flights are generally easily available: Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Tiger Australia are the main domestic low cost carriers (and all a lot more civilised than Ryanair). Redspot is a good cheap car hire company but only in limited locations. Overland trips are possible but will eat up a lot of your time.

Mostly you will probably find it very expensive. As a general guide, prices to me seemed the same in AU$ as they are in NZ$ in NZ. As the AU$ is worth about 30% more than the NZ$ then that might give you a sense of just how expensive it is. But it's worth saving (and planning) for.

Blue Cat Feb 8th 2012 11:21 am

Ask Spugsy :)

DeadVim Feb 8th 2012 11:42 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9890350)
eww I'm trying not to think about the spiders! It's always put me off going til now, but I can't let creepy crawlies stop me from seeing the world...but I'm terrified- not going to think about them! eeeek!:eek:

Nah, it's the drop bears that will kill you.

That and the casual racism ;)

mentalist Feb 8th 2012 1:43 pm

It's effing February FFS. What makes you think you will even be here then?

kittycat1 Feb 8th 2012 1:57 pm

:p mentalist what you only plan a few weeks ahead? unless it is the end of the world yes i will still be here saving for a house deposit... and if Im really not then I'llbe transitting through Dubai to go on hols to oz :p but will have paid for it well in advance so wont have to worry about booking last minute and not getting a seat on the day I want- and before you mention you're not saving much I am paying fro it with my airmiles so :p So unless I'm dead (touch wood)I will be going to oz for xmas

do you not plan ahead? you have to book your flights for oz well in advance and if i want to transit throuigh somewhere which based on someones recommendation i may well do so yes it is February for forks sake but what is wrong with planning a holiday- why do you always have to be such a miserable bastard?

The Dean Feb 8th 2012 3:21 pm

Perth may look like a convenient stop on the Dubai-Sydney route but ignore it - last time I was there, it was closed. Period. End of.

Fremantle just downriver is much more lively.

giddyup Feb 8th 2012 4:14 pm

Forget Tasmania...it's where sisters can outrun their brothers...left handed banjo players etc
  1. South Australia, Adelaide - wine, food, drinking, slight racism
  2. Victoria, Melbourne - shopping, food, blinken hot, drinking, mild racism
  3. NSW, Sydney - shopping, food, nightlife, drinking, hot, full blown racists
  4. Queensland, Brisbane/Gold Coast - beaches, nightlife, hot, excessive drinking, don't know what racism is, as most believe the white Australia policy still exists (it actually did until 1971)

I would suggest planning a trip from Byron Bay up to Whitsundays...Airlie Beach, Whitehaven, etc

Kim67 Feb 8th 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by giddyup (Post 9891017)
Forget Tasmania...it's where sisters can outrun their brothers...left handed banjo players etc
  1. South Australia, Adelaide - wine, food, drinking, slight racism
  2. Victoria, Melbourne - shopping, food, blinken hot, drinking, mild racism
  3. NSW, Sydney - shopping, food, nightlife, drinking, hot, full blown racists
  4. Queensland, Brisbane/Gold Coast - beaches, nightlife, hot, excessive drinking, don't know what racism is, as most believe the white Australia policy still exists (it actually did until 1971)

I would suggest planning a trip from Byron Bay up to Whitsundays...Airlie Beach, Whitehaven, etc

Tasmania's lovely, but for your time of year I'd recommend go to Sydney and then fly up to Brisbane (only a one hour flight) and do Northern NSW and Brisbane. The weather in Northern NSW and Brisbane is perfect for most of the year. Bit wet at the moment but not hot.

Tockalosh Feb 9th 2012 1:47 am

Some people are so ****** PC these days

The lady asked for advice on where to go in ozzie, not a students view of where the bad racist people live

Kim67 Feb 9th 2012 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9892001)
Some people are so ****** PC these days

The lady asked for advice on where to go in ozzie, not a students view of where the bad racist people live

If you've lived in the UAE, Australian racism is so insignificant it's not worth mentioning.