Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Australia and Criminal Record

Australia and Criminal Record

Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:34 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia and Criminal Record

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Are you sure though? Been told by the guy sorting our visas that I get a form on the plane and its up to me to admit to it or not.

So even for short visit do I admit it?

You don't have a sig mate.

One more thing, I was on a visit visa when arrested and went to court, THEN I got my residency visa for UAE, will that make a difference as I was a holiday maker as far as they are concerned.
just spoke to an Aussie lawyer, she says it's fine as what I did wasn't substancial.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...9character.htm
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
no offence to any australians, but the fact they require no criminal record to let people in is the funniest thing i've heard for a while considering the history of the country..

anyway, sorry for the off-topic spugsy. i would have thought they would be checking UK databases though (considering that's where your passport is from) and your adventure surely isn't registered there is it..?
Yes because we all wear calico shirts and trousers with arrows painted on them and leg irons are our favourite fashion accessory. Nothing's changed here in the last 200 years.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

just spoke to an Aussie lawyer, she says it's fine as what I did wasn't substancial.

Thought so. What did she say about declaring it though?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yes because we all wear calico shirts and trousers with arrows painted on them and leg irons are our favourite fashion accessory. Nothing's changed here in the last 200 years.
Really? That's amazing.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Really? That's amazing.
You obviously don't read enough Vogue Australia to keep up with our fashion trends.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you make an annoymous phone call to the oz embassy?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:49 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

yep. i know..
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:36 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Thought so. What did she say about declaring it though?
She said do it. She knows of two English lads who came over, one declared being arrested for ecstacy 10 years ago, the other said nothing about common assault 7 years ago.

Ecstacy guy had a grilling for a few hours and the other guy packed on the next plane back to London. Yikes!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You obviously don't read enough Vogue Australia to keep up with our fashion trends.
Vogue?

You guys have Vogue?

Jesus, you're catching up.

Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:07 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

yup - it's not. that's a great website.

but if you are going to aus just for a tourist visit then you can apply for an e-visa rather than form on entry
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:39 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
yup - it's not. that's a great website.

but if you are going to aus just for a tourist visit then you can apply for an e-visa rather than form on entry
Well......that's not what the websites are saying, they are saying I need to apply for a long stay visa as you have to be a citizen of your country of origin (I take it that's a Brit living in Britain?) and when I tried to fill in the e-visa when I clicked yes (oh the shame) of having a criminal record it directed me to the long stay visa.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:39 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Well......that's not what the websites are saying, they are saying I need to apply for a long stay visa as you have to be a citizen of your country of origin (I take it that's a Brit living in Britain?) and when I tried to fill in the e-visa when I clicked yes (oh the shame) of having a criminal record it directed me to the long stay visa.
I'm going to call the Oz embassy in AD tomorrow and ask them.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Just know this, the immigration officers take a very dim view of any deception or deliberate lying to gain entry. They check with Interpol as well as your own country's database for criminal records.

It is a test of "good character", the fact that someone would lie to gain entry clearly indicates they are not of good character, whereras the person who is honest and upfront despite having made past mistakes may be considered acceptable for entry.

"no offence to any australians, but the fact they require no criminal record to let people in is the funniest thing i've heard for a while considering the history of the country.."

Oh, Norsk......tsk, tsk, you should know better. Because we all know you guys still run around with funny horned metal bowls on your head, madly waving axes and yelling something about Valhalla!

Besides, Aussie history clearly shows that it was the Brits disposing of their rubbish that had the convicts transported to our fair shores. But not in all states - some states were actually occupied by freemen.

Good Luck with your application.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:52 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Work Widow
Oh, Norsk......tsk, tsk, you should know better. Because we all know you guys still run around with funny horned metal bowls on your head, madly waving axes and yelling something about Valhalla!
Never happier than when we are raiding the English, although these days it mostly consists of people arriving on Ryan Air to get rat-arsed and watch football...