British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Australia and Criminal Record (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/australia-criminal-record-733464/)

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 10:25 am

Australia and Criminal Record
 
Heading over to Sydney for NYE, but visa states must have no criminal record, and I guess after my little run in with the police I do have one now.

Can / will they find out? Or being British will they check if I have a british criminal record? which of course I don't....cheers

weasel decentral Sep 24th 2011 10:31 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 
Its used to be mandatory to have a criminal record, how things have changed :)

I can't imagine there is a link up with UAE police and Australia,

edit to say when I lived there I had to get a form signed by my local cops to clear me, but that was for a long term visa.

norsk Sep 24th 2011 10:34 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9639554)
Heading over to Sydney for NYE, but visa states must have no criminal record, and I guess after my little run in with the police I do have one now.

Can / will they find out? Or being British will they check if I have a british criminal record? which of course I don't....cheers

no offence to any australians, but the fact they require no criminal record to let people in is the funniest thing i've heard for a while considering the history of the country..

anyway, sorry for the off-topic spugsy. i would have thought they would be checking UK databases though (considering that's where your passport is from) and your adventure surely isn't registered there is it..?

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 10:42 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9639563)
no offence to any australians, but the fact they require no criminal record to let people in is the funniest thing i've heard for a while considering the history of the country..

anyway, sorry for the off-topic spugsy. i would have thought they would be checking UK databases though (considering that's where your passport is from) and your adventure surely isn't registered there is it..?

No it's not, in fact because I did no time and only got two fines do I actually have a criminal record over here? (Chance are yes but not sure I mean does everyone who is arrested for beng drunk now got a record).

norsk Sep 24th 2011 10:45 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9639574)
No it's not, in fact because I did no time and only got two fines do I actually have a criminal record over here? (Chance are yes but not sure I mean does everyone who is arrested for beng drunk now got a record).

in the uk i believe you only get a record if you get convicted in a court and actually have to do a prison sentence. there is a specific word for it, but can't remember it right now. a quick google should tell you if you're interested though.

who knows what happens here? even a speeding ticket might be registered on 'your record', but again why would they be checking with the UAE?

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 10:48 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9639581)
in the uk i believe you only get a record if you get convicted in a court and actually have to do a prison sentence. there is a specific word for it, but can't remember it right now. a quick google should tell you if you're interested though.

who knows what happens here? even a speeding ticket might be registered on 'your record', but again why would they be checking with the UAE?

Yeah, only issue is if I land in Sydney and they have somehoe found out what I've done and I haven't mentioned it I can be banned for life from Oz, and we're thinking of moving there in a few years.

Oh and our trip is being booked through a guy who mrs spugsy works with, so I can't really tell him about my 'record' over here.

As you see, I reckon I'll be fine but it's a wee bit tricky.

norsk Sep 24th 2011 10:51 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9639586)
Yeah, only issue is if I land in Sydney and they have somehoe found out what I've done and I haven't mentioned it I can be banned for life from Oz, and we're thinking of moving there in a few years.

Oh and our trip is being booked through a guy who mrs spugsy works with, so I can't really tell him about my 'record' over here.

As you see, I reckon I'll be fine but it's a wee bit tricky.

hmm. yeah. difficult one that. especially if you're considering trying to move there later. if i were you i would seek out a solicitor down there and ask the question. at least then you would have a proper answer...

also in most countries the crimes you do come off your record after a given time. lesser crimes can come off after 6 months whilst some crimes never come off. i doubt yours will stay on forever, but not knowing how uae law works makes it difficult to say for sure..

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 11:01 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9639589)
hmm. yeah. difficult one that. especially if you're considering trying to move there later. if i were you i would seek out a solicitor down there and ask the question. at least then you would have a proper answer...

also in most countries the crimes you do come off your record after a given time. lesser crimes can come off after 6 months whilst some crimes never come off. i doubt yours will stay on forever, but not knowing how uae law works makes it difficult to say for sure..

Aye, I have some mates over there, and one of my mates over here is CID so I'll have a word with him.

paca Sep 24th 2011 11:47 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 
well this may not help but you could use it to check your status if there is no other way

http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/eng...&mainlayid=194

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 11:49 am

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by paca (Post 9639635)
well this may not help but you could use it to check your status if there is no other way

http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/eng...&mainlayid=194

yeah thanks but I'd need to pay etc, I mean after my run in I then got my passport back and got my UAE working visa no problems at all.

I'll speak to my CID mate about this, he may be able to tell me.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 24th 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 
It's not a case of a criminal record preventing you from entering Oz, it's more an issue of not declaring any felonies which is more likely to get you excluded. For instance someone with a drink driving conviction from 20 years ago will not be viewed in the same light as a guy who's just served 10 years for dealing smack.

Here's a link to explain which offenses get you a club number in the UK:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalop...199/168-15.htm

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9639893)
It's not a case of a criminal record preventing you from entering Oz, it's more an issue of not declaring any felonies which is more likely to get you excluded. For instance someone with a drink driving conviction from 20 years ago will not be viewed in the same light as a guy who's just served 10 years for dealing smack.

Here's a link to explain which offenses get you a club number in the UK:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalop...199/168-15.htm

Not really sure what to make of that link.

So I admit them, and then when I arrive get interviewed or checked out at the airport to decide if they let me in?

Oyibopeppeh Sep 24th 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9639930)
Not really sure what to make of that link.

So I admit them, and then when I arrive get interviewed or checked out at the airport to decide if they let me in?


It's really up to you if you want to confess or not, but a fine for a D&D hardly puts you in the same league as Ronnie & Reggie...

Personally, I wouldn't bother saying owt

OriginalSunshine Sep 24th 2011 5:56 pm

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9639930)
Not really sure what to make of that link.

So I admit them, and then when I arrive get interviewed or checked out at the airport to decide if they let me in?

Spugsy - ok, so if you're going for a short stay up to 3 month visit visa, then no worries mate :rofl:

Sorry - couldnt resist. Erm, right.

Ok, but if you are going for long stay and or employment visa, then you will need a certificate from each police state that you have lived in or visited for longer than 3 months per year in the last 10 years. Oh yeah. :thumbdown:

visit the immigration website (I think it is immi.gov.au but google is your friend) to make certain.

(PS - see my sig? Aus PR visa....)
(PPS bugger - need to change sig as now have 3 cats)

Spugsy Sep 24th 2011 6:00 pm

Re: Australia and Criminal Record
 

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 9639947)
Spugsy - ok, so if you're going for a short stay up to 3 month visit visa, then no worries mate :rofl:

Sorry - couldnt resist. Erm, right.

Ok, but if you are going for long stay and or employment visa, then you will need a certificate from each police state that you have lived in or visited for longer than 3 months per year in the last 10 years. Oh yeah. :thumbdown:

visit the immigration website (I think it is immi.gov.au but google is your friend) to make certain.

(PS - see my sig? Aus PR visa....)
(PPS bugger - need to change sig as now have 3 cats)

Are you sure though? Been told by the guy sorting our visas that I get a form on the plane and its up to me to admit to it or not.

So even for short visit do I admit it?

You don't have a sig mate.

One more thing, I was on a visit visa when arrested and went to court, THEN I got my residency visa for UAE, will that make a difference as I was a holiday maker as far as they are concerned.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:30 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.