British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Atlantis to be sold ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/atlantis-sold-816764/)

Blue Cat Dec 3rd 2013 5:50 am

Atlantis to be sold ...

http://www.albawaba.com/business/dub...payment-534830

Kix Dec 3rd 2013 6:11 am

Re: Atlantis to be sold ...

Not really though BC, Palm Utilities (owned by Istithmar - Dubai Government) is being sold to DEWA (Dubai Government), Atlantis (owned by Istithmar - Dubai Government) is being sold to Investment Corporation of Dubai which is owned by Dubai Government.

All they are doing is shuffling their debt around, getting the richer branches (DEWA and EK) to bail out the Government through transfer of assets.

It just looks better to them this way i guess.

Meow Dec 3rd 2013 7:06 am

I've still never been there. I think it is one fugly building.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 3rd 2013 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11017974)
I've still never been there. I think it is one fugly building.

I hate the fact it's not even close to being symmetrical, but not so different on both sides that it looks good.

Meow Dec 3rd 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11017998)
I hate the fact it's not even close to being symmetrical, but not so different on both sides that it looks good.

Even for Dubai it's crass.

They still aren't forgiven for Sammy the whale shark and will remain on my boycott list. There are a few names on there and I stick with my principles.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 3rd 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11018004)
Even for Dubai it's crass.

They still aren't forgiven for Sammy the whale shark and will remain on my boycott list. There are a few names on there and I stick with my principles.

Who was Sammy?

I hope I don't have to boycott them, Atlantis waterpark, despite being full of obnoxious box-head Russians is still better than Wild Wadi.

Meow Dec 3rd 2013 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11018009)
Who was Sammy?

I hope I don't have to boycott them, Atlantis waterpark, despite being full of obnoxious box-head Russians is still better than Wild Wadi.

A young whale shark that they illegally caught which then died. They claim he was released but there were no pictures of this, a very un-Dubai way of doing things.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=sammy+th...shark+atlantis

britexpat76 Dec 3rd 2013 7:44 am

Atlantis in the Bahamas is amazing. Would rather grate my ball sack than go to the one in DXB.

Ethos83 Dec 3rd 2013 7:51 am

The Bahamas Atlantis is identical to the Dubai Atlantis, overpriced tackiness for the hordes. So what's the difference?

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11018041)
Atlantis in the Bahamas is amazing. Would rather grate my ball sack than go to the one in DXB.

britexpat76 Dec 3rd 2013 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 11018051)
The Bahamas Atlantis is identical to the Dubai Atlantis, overpriced tackiness for the hordes. So what's the difference?

Its in the Bahamas.

Ethos83 Dec 3rd 2013 8:02 am

And right next to freakin' Nassau. Worst part of the Bahamas.

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11018071)
Its in the Bahamas.

britexpat76 Dec 3rd 2013 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 11018077)
And right next to freakin' Nassau. Worst part of the Bahamas.

Find me someone that would rather spend an afternoon in Sharjah than Nassau and you win.

Ethos83 Dec 3rd 2013 9:11 am

Uh, actually I can see why some people would prefer a trip to Dubai than the Bahamas.

Atlantis is in Dubai, btw. Not Sharjah.

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11018095)
Find me someone that would rather spend an afternoon in Sharjah than Nassau and you win.

britexpat76 Dec 3rd 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 11018159)
Uh, actually I can see why some people would prefer a trip to Dubai than the Bahamas.

Atlantis is in Dubai, btw. Not Sharjah.

Really??..............

I have to make this easier for you obviously. Atlantis Bahamas is right next to 'Freakin Nassau' (you're words) Using the same thought process I could say Atlantis Dubai is next to an industrial estate/Sharjah blah blah blah.....

Ethos83 Dec 3rd 2013 9:31 am

Well, you're right. Nassau isn't Sharjah. Nonetheless it's still the least attractive part of the Bahamas and for the real island magic, not overdeveloped mass tourism, you're better off heading for the outer islands like the Abacos.

I'll grant you that the water is probably 'nicer' at the Bahamas Atlantis but the Dubai Atlantis probably gives you a greater range of non-water activities and a city to explore, which one can't say about Nassau.

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11018177)
Really??..............

I have to make this easier for you obviously. Atlantis Bahamas is right next to 'Freakin Nassau' (you're words) Using the same thought process I could say Atlantis Dubai is next to an industrial estate/Sharjah blah blah blah.....