British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Atlantis on Fire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/atlantis-fire-558907/)

Live for now Sep 2nd 2008 5:13 am

Atlantis on Fire

Big fire in the Grand Lobby in Atlantis, don't know the cause yet but the whole lobby is destroyed as well as the Atrium glass centre piece.What on earth goes on in Dubai to cause so many fires, luckily no one is hurt.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2008 5:19 am

Re: Atlantis on Fire

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6739387)
Big fire in the Grand Lobby in Atlantis, don't know the cause yet but the whole lobby is destroyed as well as the Atrium glass centre piece.What on earth goes on in Dubai to cause so many fires, luckily no one is hurt.

how do you know the glass centre piece has gone!! that is so sad, it is amazing feature! there is a thread in the Middle East section relating to this.

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2008 5:31 am

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10241983.html

according to this it isn't the hotel but 'near' the hotel, this would make sense as there was alot of rubble in that area.

Live for now Sep 2nd 2008 9:21 am

2 Attachment(s)
The glass is smoke damaged and total entrance, was called out this morning.

Live for now Sep 2nd 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6739878)
The glass is smoke damaged and total entrance, was called out this morning.

Will post some internal photographs later

Live for now Sep 2nd 2008 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6739408)
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10241983.html

according to this it isn't the hotel but 'near' the hotel, this would make sense as there was alot of rubble in that area.

The fire started as the contractors were water proofing the roof, the bitumen was being melted with a blow torch, they obviously have not heard of ready made trowelled bitumen.
The centre piece will be cleaned and saved but the whole area is water and smoke damaged

arbroath_abroad Sep 2nd 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6739926)
The fire started as the contractors were water proofing the roof, the bitumen was being melted with a blow torch, they obviously have not heard of ready made trowelled bitumen.
The centre piece will be cleaned and saved but the whole area is water and smoke damaged

need any architects?:D

Charismatic Sep 2nd 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6740019)

Why, do you know any decent ones? ;)

Live for now Sep 2nd 2008 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6740019)

Maybe fire fighters, plenty of work in Dubai for them;)

Chesney Hawkes Sep 3rd 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6739880)
Will post some internal photographs later

Originally Posted by Live for now (Post 6739926)

Not sure who your source of info is but I wouldn't use them again!!

The only thing that is correct above is that the chihuly (glass centre piece) is ok. Rumours eh!!!:o

Shadya Sep 3rd 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes (Post 6744842)
Not sure who your source of info is but I wouldn't use them again!!

The only thing that is correct above is that the chihuly (glass centre piece) is ok. Rumours eh!!!:o

You can be an arrogant sod...glad to learn that there is absolutely no smoke or water damage ...and that the fire was not caused by contractors working above the lobby.:huh:

Dutchie Sep 3rd 2008 5:50 pm

One of Walt Disneys backyard buildings is on fire huh? That what's the EU / USA architectural critics call Dubai. Perhaps to much to fast is being pumped out of the grown, building wise I mean, to fast. Neglecting the o so important building safety regulations and instructions. A labor force that is being treated like shit, underpaid, that is if salaries are paid. Human rights are an unknown issue there. Anywhere, and I mean anywhere in the civilized world an employer would go to jail for what is daily common practice in the UAE. I can remember the Indian ambassador to Saudi Arabia once saying and I quote "We will accept a human loss of 0.5 to 1 million souls due to Desert Storm if necessary, who in the world would help India? The UAE in a grand scale has bypassed Saudi Arabia in that. And for what? Just to maintain the grand illusion "We know what we are doing" is a joke to anyone with a little bit of grey mass between the ears and an IQ that is slightly higher then (air conditioned) room temperature. That's one reason why, for all the tea in China I wouldn't want to live on a top floor of a building in the UAE, not even for a single night. Spending trillions of AED for a country like the UAE to catch up with Europe and the USA is joke itself, but then even a joke requires the usage of a brain. And the absolute biggest joke of it all? A ski facility smack in the middle of a desert. And Emirati's wonder why their country is laughed at nowadays. I wonder why? Maybe the next Batman movie should be shot there? Replacing the name Gotham City with Dubai. ;) The tittle? Shop until you drop.... :sneaky:

Dutchie

Bob Sep 3rd 2008 7:30 pm

Closed as there's multiple threads on this already.