British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Atlantis.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/atlantis-563983/)

MataHari Sep 27th 2008 4:10 pm

Atlantis....

had a look round there today....what an ugly ugly place...apart from a few of the restaurants/bars they have really outdone themselves on making it look tasteless...

Madam Medusa Sep 27th 2008 4:35 pm

Re: Atlantis....

surely can't be more tasteless than the burj...

the waterpark looks amazing, and i've heard fantastic things about it...and i'm dying to go to nobu...roll on november...

MM, xx

MataHari Sep 27th 2008 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6825340)
surely can't be more tasteless than the burj...

the waterpark looks amazing, and i've heard fantastic things about it...and i'm dying to go to nobu...roll on november...

MM, xx

not been in the waterpark yet, but the hotel is gross...
Nobu is already open for dinner...

Madam Medusa Sep 27th 2008 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6825342)
not been in the waterpark yet, but the hotel is gross...
Nobu is already open for dinner...

oh yeah i know, just i'm staying there in nov, so we're going to wait...

MM, xx

Max the Dog Sep 27th 2008 4:47 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1740532.ece

MataHari Sep 27th 2008 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 6825364)

lol...
the only thing I liked were those fishes....but that statue in the main lobby is just...yuk...and so it the rest...it's truely horrendous...

Madam Medusa Sep 27th 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6825374)
lol...
the only thing I liked were those fishes....but that statue in the main lobby is just...yuk...and so it the rest...it's truely horrendous...

don't quite know what to say about that thing in the lobby...what were they thinking...

MM, xx

MataHari Sep 27th 2008 5:05 pm

2 Attachment(s)
the fish...and the statue....

Spugsy Sep 27th 2008 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6825279)
had a look round there today....what an ugly ugly place...apart from a few of the restaurants/bars they have really outdone themselves on making it look tasteless...

speaking of which, I was at JBH for Iftar last week, it was ok but that hotel is so cheesy, its awful, really tacky.

MataHari Sep 27th 2008 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6825409)
speaking of which, I was at JBH for Iftar last week, it was ok but that hotel is so cheesy, its awful, really tacky.

yeah I agree...
I was in the Al Qasr for lunch today, that's still one of my favorite hotels here...

Spugsy Sep 27th 2008 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 6825364)

christ, that bloke, and the newspaper are nothing but ******.

Madam Medusa Sep 27th 2008 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6825418)

you'd expect nowt less from the sun...

MM, xx

jvr20 Sep 27th 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6825418)

damn straight, Spugs... which is why I feel actually dirty for (a) reading the whole article :curse:, and (b) agreeing with every word :confused: :ohmy:

of course, it's possible that it was written from some general anti-Arab, xenophobic Sun-type bias, and not from a specific anti-cheese, anti-fakeness bias, so I can still rest on my Guardianista laurels and feel contentedly smug :eek:

Dreammaker Sep 27th 2008 8:18 pm

Typical response, why can't you all say something positive about this place instead of moaning and whinging your way through life here.

Everyone knows this place is Disneyland so do you say that any of that groups places in Paris, HK, Calif or Fl are tacky?

Of course you dont.

Go there enjoy, giggle at the blinged out holidaymakers, while knowing that you get better nosebag at Ravi's.

But if the Beckhams, the Prices and Paris bloody Hilton turned up you'd still want a ticket for the party.

Give the people what they want, you don't like it, enjoy Al Qasr, which, although fantastic, is still vastly overpriced for the quality and service that you get.

(Rant over, I've had a bad day)

MataHari Sep 28th 2008 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Dreammaker (Post 6825740)
Typical response, why can't you all say something positive about this place instead of moaning and whinging your way through life here.

Everyone knows this place is Disneyland so do you say that any of that groups places in Paris, HK, Calif or Fl are tacky?

Of course you dont.

Go there enjoy, giggle at the blinged out holidaymakers, while knowing that you get better nosebag at Ravi's.

But if the Beckhams, the Prices and Paris bloody Hilton turned up you'd still want a ticket for the party.

Give the people what they want, you don't like it, enjoy Al Qasr, which, although fantastic, is still vastly overpriced for the quality and service that you get.

(Rant over, I've had a bad day)

errr....the first thing I said when I saw the building is that it looks like a cheap Disney hotel...

I don't come on BE to moan and whinge about Dubai, it's more the opposite in fact...

To find out whether or not I liked Atlantis, I went to have a look and form an opinion, instead of relying on others....but I guess I am weird like that...

so...did you design it then....