British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Asthma... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/asthma-575287/)

pauldxb Nov 26th 2008 7:31 am

Asthma...

Question: In the UK i use both the blue (ventolin) inhaler & the brown (becotide) inhaler in UAE its impossible to get becotide but you can get a substitue called beclazone, has anyone else had this problem ???? If so where can i get a brown inhaler.

Thanks

The Dean Nov 26th 2008 8:19 am

Re: Asthma...

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7010695)
Question: In the UK i use both the blue (ventolin) inhaler & the brown (becotide) inhaler in UAE its impossible to get becotide but you can get a substitue called beclazone, has anyone else had this problem ???? If so where can i get a brown inhaler.

Thanks

Have you tried Symbicort?

Combines both, and only takes about a week to build up the necessary levels of resistance.

It even gives my son relief, and that's saying something.

pauldxb Nov 26th 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7010779)
Have you tried Symbicort?

Combines both, and only takes about a week to build up the necessary levels of resistance.

It even gives my son relief, and that's saying something.

So you use Symbicort collectively ? You see im supposed to use the blue when i need it & the brown first thing in the morning & the last thing at night

The Dean Nov 26th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7010793)
So you use Symbicort collectively ? You see im supposed to use the blue when i need it & the brown first thing in the morning & the last thing at night

My son takes one shot in the morning and one at night.

Hasn't used the blue for ages - hasn't needed to.

al dente Nov 26th 2008 8:27 am

Becotide is the UK's steroid of choice but in oz it's pulmicorte. Try looking for that, it sounds as if it's from the same family as the one Dean's son uses..

You use it the same as the brown and then use your blue as and when you need it. though if you need to use it often it sounds like your asthma is not being managed and you need to see a doctor.

Asthma attacks which kill occur most commonly with people who mismanage it and rely too heavily on ventolin.... Just to cheer you up!

The Dean Nov 26th 2008 8:29 am

By the way, a tablet called Singulair is being trialled in the region......

Herbal or organic or something but someone told me a while back it was effective.

No idea of up to date situation though (eg availability).

pauldxb Nov 26th 2008 8:40 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 7010804)
Becotide is the UK's steroid of choice but in oz it's pulmicorte. Try looking for that, it sounds as if it's from the same family as the one Dean's son uses..

You use it the same as the brown and then use your blue as and when you need it. though if you need to use it often it sounds like your asthma is not being managed and you need to see a doctor.

Asthma attacks which kill occur most commonly with people who mismanage it and rely too heavily on ventolin.... Just to cheer you up!

THANKS !!!!

I feel loads better now, ive never had an attack as such its come through 12 years off working in a smoky industry, i use both of them mainly as i can become wheasy in the mornings / evenings

pauldxb Nov 26th 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7010800)
My son takes one shot in the morning and one at night.

Hasn't used the blue for ages - hasn't needed to.

I might give it a go, thanks

al dente Nov 26th 2008 9:39 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 7010845)
I might give it a go, thanks

I know you're a bloke and, as such, simply cannot go to see a doctor but i'd really recommend it. Self medicating just ain't wise on this one. Especially, if you are using your ventalin twice a day. That would ring major f'ing alarm bells!

sure you're fine though...

pauldxb Nov 26th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 7011022)
I know you're a bloke and, as such, simply cannot go to see a doctor but i'd really recommend it. Self medicating just ain't wise on this one. Especially, if you are using your ventalin twice a day. That would ring major f'ing alarm bells!

sure you're fine though...

true, but as you say im a man