British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Assisted Suicide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/assisted-suicide-721968/)

Madam Medusa Jun 22nd 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Assisted Suicide

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9449547)
Depends on where you live. I am aware that doctors and nurses in the UK and Australia do assist patients in dying.

but the issue is that they face possible murder charges the way the law stands...that's why on this programme, even in this swiss clinic, it's the person who has to administer the poison themselves, not even the doctor can do it for fear of a law case...

MM, xx

Boomhauer Jun 22nd 2011 1:29 pm

Yes should be legal.
An adult should have the right to do what they want with themselves as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9449550)
So in that instance they have scientific evidence / proof / whatever to say that this person will have no quality of life or will never be awake again etc.

My point is knowing when someone in a near similar state wants to or does not want to die.

that is where the assisted bit comes in isn't it? they ask for your help to kill them?

Bahtatboy Jun 22nd 2011 1:36 pm

Is suicide legal here? (UAE or elsewhere in the ME)

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9449552)
but the issue is that they face possible murder charges the way the law stands...that's why on this programme, even in this swiss clinic, it's the person who has to administer the poison themselves, not even the doctor can do it for fear of a law case...

MM, xx

In America they first give them a sleeping drug, then they take the lethal dose, by the time it does it's job they are already unconscious (allegedly)

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9449573)
Is suicide legal here? (UAE or elsewhere in the ME)

definitely a no no

Bahtatboy Jun 22nd 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9449577)
definitely a no no

That's suicide, not assisted suicide? So is suicide haram?

Norm_uk Jun 22nd 2011 1:57 pm

When my mum passed away there was a lady in the next room who had a rare wasting disorder where all the muscles stop working slowly over time.

She petitioned the government for her right to die when the time came that her life was not livable anymore and they said no....so her family had to watch her waste to nothing in the most undignified way imaginable.

It should be strictly regulated but it should be legal. Why should a government have the right to tell you when and how you can die? No to mention the wasted resources keeping someone around who really is past recovery...bad for them and their family.

N.

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9449583)
That's suicide, not assisted suicide? So is suicide haram?

both are haram

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9449622)
When my mum passed away there was a lady in the next room who had a rare wasting disorder where all the muscles stop working slowly over time.

She petitioned the government for her right to die when the time came that her life was not livable anymore and they said no....so her family had to watch her waste to nothing in the most undignified way imaginable.

It should be strictly regulated but it should be legal. Why should a government have the right to tell you when and how you can die? No to mention the wasted resources keeping someone around who really is past recovery...bad for them and their family.

N.

you will think the government would agree to it from a financial point of view :)

Norm_uk Jun 22nd 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9449631)
you will think the government would agree to it from a financial point of view :)

I'd think so too. But then they are clamping down on smoking and drinking even though smokers practically prop up the NHS and do everyone a favour by dying an average of four years below the average.

The government is hugely misguided on so many issues. I believe governments have no business telling citizens what to eat, drink or smoke providing there's no harm to others and those who indulge pay extra tax accordingly. It's called libertarianism and it's a wonderful thing governments all over the world hate :)

N.

WakeUp Jun 22nd 2011 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9449622)

N.

I agree with this 100% .

jackthehat Jun 22nd 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9449576)
In America they first give them a sleeping drug, then they take the lethal dose, by the time it does it's job they are already unconscious (allegedly)

WRONG!
In America they spend at least ten years, taunting them on death row, and eventually pass Electric Current through them (slowly) which boils their brains! - And the US considers itself 'Civilised?'

Blue Cat Jun 22nd 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9449787)
WRONG!
In America they spend at least ten years, taunting them on death row, and eventually pass Electric Current through them (slowly) which boils their brains! - And the US considers itself 'Civilised?'

I am not talking about convicted crims on death row :sneaky:

Elmer Fudd Jun 22nd 2011 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9449680)
I'd think so too. But then they are clamping down on smoking and drinking even though smokers practically prop up the NHS and do everyone a favour by dying an average of four years below the average.

The government is hugely misguided on so many issues. I believe governments have no business telling citizens what to eat, drink or smoke providing there's no harm to others and those who indulge pay extra tax accordingly. It's called libertarianism and it's a wonderful thing governments all over the world hate :)

N.

Not a bad argument on the benefits to NHS, but factor in harm - all the negative externalities - cost of drunks clogging up hospitals in front of genuine cases & abusing staff on Friday & Saturday nights, long run liver transplants free of charge, the costs to me slipping on puddles of liquid laughs, me paying more tax towards plod to police the streets, me changing route to avoid punch ups, plus costs of cleaning up litter from smokers & the private costs of having to wash all clothes & shower after a night in a smoke filled pub, the benefits might not be as great as you believe? I am all for freedom of choice and expression, but so long as the costs of these activities do not affect others i.e. my wallet ;)