Assisted Suicide

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:10 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assisted Suicide

Originally Posted by Scamp
I won't comment on your situation because I can't and couldn't comprehend how hard that must be.

My question is for the last bit, who should make the decisions? Court of Law? In slow progressive illnesses someone can make the decision early, but in an accident where 'quality' of life is lost and the person is deemed unable to make their own decision, then who should get to?
Its already done partially in the UK, with DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) notices pinned to some patients' beds. Not sure who has authority to make the decision on that, though.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Bluecat-

Ok I appear to opening up to the world today, my mum is terminally ill - a slow progressive illness and we have had this converstaion and it is a converstaion I wish noone else to have to have and until you are in the situation it is impossible to decide what you would do.

So, Yes, If I had to I would do it, as much as it would break my heart. My brother feels differently to me but at the end of the day my mum knows her limits. She was diagnosed the year I was born so has had a lifetimes worth of struggling so when she feels she has had enough I think you have to respect that no matter how hard it is for those left behind. Her mental state is kosher and will remain so as much as anyone elses.

Every case is individual and should be treated as so.
Big respect to Kittycat. Thanks for being so open and honest in all your threads today, your mum must be very proud of you.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Its already done partially in the UK, with DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) notices pinned to some patients' beds. Not sure who has authority to make the decision on that, though.
Didn't know that.

What about when someone is lay on a hospital bed being kept alive by machine...?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Bluecat-

Ok I appear to opening up to the world today, my mum is terminally ill - a slow progressive illness and we have had this converstaion and it is a converstaion I wish noone else to have to have and until you are in the situation it is impossible to decide what you would do.

So, Yes, If I had to I would do it, as much as it would break my heart. My brother feels differently to me but at the end of the day my mum knows her limits. She was diagnosed the year I was born so has had a lifetimes worth of struggling so when she feels she has had enough I think you have to respect that no matter how hard it is for those left behind. Her mental state is kosher and will remain so as much as anyone elses.

Every case is individual and should be treated as so.
sorry to hear this but at this stage she could commit suicide if she wanted to (god forbid) I am thinking more of paraplegics who want to end their lives
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
It was Panorama on BBC1
it wasn't but anyway
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Didn't know that.

What about when someone is lay on a hospital bed being kept alive by machine...?
then tests are done to see if they are brain dead and the machine is switched off
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a living will already then I suggest you get one.

At the end of the day you have to believe in the good of people and that your wishes will be carried out by those you love with no hidden agenda. Of course this leaves the door open to abuse, however for the majority of people there is no getting rid of a family member or thinking of insurance payouts. At the end of the day (most)people want the best for their family members and would make the best decision possible.

For me terminal illnesses in final stages, brain damage, long term coma are my switch off times. If I broke my back and was in a wheelchair then I could cope but the above are my cut off point where I would want to stop being fed and let to die.

The Hippocratic Oath is about improving the quality of life - prolonging life for the sake of it when there is no quality is not humane in my book.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
What are your thoughts on this? should it be legal in the UK ?
Only if done in the same way it is done in other Countries, where I think two doctors have to be in agreement and the act itself is done by them, not by a family member.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Elmer,

I was having a converstation on something similar with a colleague today.

As my mum always says to me her illness has ruined her life she doesn't want it to ruin mine as well. So live everyday as if its your last as you never know whats around the corner.

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

I won't comment on your situation because I can't and couldn't comprehend how hard that must be.

My question is for the last bit, who should make the decisions? Court of Law? In slow progressive illnesses someone can make the decision early, but in an accident where 'quality' of life is lost and the person is deemed unable to make their own decision, then who should get to?
That wouldn't be assisted suicide would it though, as the person whose life was being ended wouldn't have made the decision to do so, unless they had made a Living Will stating what should happen in such a situation.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Elmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud ofElmer Fudd has much to be proud of

Sorry, you are right, it was a BBC2 special, here is the link, hope it works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13768354
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:24 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy
Only if done in the same way it is done in other Countries, where I think two doctors have to be in agreement and the act itself is done by them, not by a family member.
think it's like that in Holland, it needs to be done by a doctor which makes sense as it must be the hardest thing for a partner or family member to do.
Doctors can of course refuse to participate, I lived in a religious area back home and a lot of my friends who had lived there all their lives changed doctors at some point just for that reason as they wanted one that would agree with participating.

I am all for it...quality of life is more important than life, you make the desicion yourself if you want to, not 'God' or anyone else.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:24 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

What are your thoughts on this? should it be legal in the UK ?
Depends on where you live. I am aware that doctors and nurses in the UK and Australia do assist patients in dying.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Sorry, you are right, it was a BBC2 special, here is the link, hope it works

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13768354
doing it now, there was also a newsnight debate on following the documentary
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

then tests are done to see if they are brain dead and the machine is switched off
So in that instance they have scientific evidence / proof / whatever to say that this person will have no quality of life or will never be awake again etc.

My point is knowing when someone in a near similar state wants to or does not want to die.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.