British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Ashes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ashes-802458/)

Kix Jul 10th 2013 9:35 am

The Ashes

A Great British summer of sports, Lions victors, that scottish twat, Froome to win the TdF and can England do it?

England won the toss and will bat, hope the weather holds in Nottingham, this first test is a vital win for us.

co durham boy Jul 10th 2013 10:06 am

Re: The Ashes

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10792644)
A Great British summer of sports, Lions victors, that scottish twat, Froome to win the TdF and can England do it?

England won the toss and will bat, hope the weather holds in Nottingham, this first test is a vital win for us.

They've dropped Warner for a 19 year old rookie spinner , if he gets tapped about they could get a hiding !

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 10th 2013 10:08 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10792700)
They've dropped Warner for a 19 year old rookie spinner , if he gets tapped about they could get a hiding !

Aren't you nervous though?

I mean we thought we'd waltz around Aus smashing them on the Lions tour and it was a lot harder (initially) than we thought.

I'm thinking:

Draw
Eng
Aus
Eng
Eng

Kix Jul 10th 2013 10:13 am

Michael Clarke (Aussie Captain) on Ashton Agar's selection: "It's maybe a surprise to some but not to us he's bowled really well leading up to this match. England have a lot of right handers so I think he can play a big part in taking 20 wickets. Our chairman made it clear we had the option to bring other players in."

If he screws up we can have a run fest.

I think we'll win the first test - but bookies love me!

co durham boy Jul 10th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792703)
Aren't you nervous though?

I mean we thought we'd waltz around Aus smashing them on the Lions tour and it was a lot harder (initially) than we thought.

I'm thinking:

Draw
Eng
Aus
Eng
Eng

You can never write them off mate . They'll battle until the very end even with a mediocre side which i believe they have at this present time . The Aussies have 2/3 class cricketers , not the 8/9 of the last 12 years in their side .

You need match winners in test cricket , it's the last gladiatorial sport for me , you need mental strength , killer judgement and tactics with great players in every position .

I think the England side have all those attributes . If they play to their ability they'll win The Ashes .

Kix Jul 10th 2013 10:42 am

TMS on BBC strike again - I quote:-

Former England captain Michael Vaughan, BBC Test Match Special
"You have to set the tone as an opening batsman and so far England have sent a nice message, they look in control, and Australia are so inexperienced. There has been enough through the air to create some opportunities but nerves have been a factor for the bowlers, there hasn't been the control."

Next over, Cook out for 13.

britexpat76 Jul 10th 2013 12:35 pm

Been watching it all day. I agree with scamp 3-1 to us though I think we will win this one and draw somewhere else. Will be interesting to see how KP does having played little cricket lately , I had decided single figures or a Ton - So a ton it must be..............

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 10th 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10792888)
Been watching it all day. I agree with scamp 3-1 to us though I think we will win this one and draw somewhere else. Will be interesting to see how KP does having played little cricket lately , I had decided single figures or a Ton - So a ton it must be..............

You twat.

Out for 14.

britexpat76 Jul 10th 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10792903)
You twat.

Out for 14.

Wrote that as he threw his wicket................Still, good start by the bowlers.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 4:35 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10793516)
Wrote that as he threw his wicket................Still, good start by the bowlers.

Absolutely. They've certainly made it interesting.

Wish I had OSN and Ramadan hours to take full advantage.

mentalist Jul 11th 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794302)
Absolutely. They've certainly made it interesting.

Wish I had OSN and Ramadan hours to take full advantage.

Yes I'm really glad I have OSN, finish work at 2.30pm and have a good stock of beer. As for the cricket, we may struggle if Broady cannot bowl. I predict a narrow loss in this test as we always seem to play crap at Trent Bridge. Hope to win the series however. Bresnan would have done well on this pitch.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 5:31 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10794314)
Yes I'm really glad I have OSN, finish work at 2.30pm and have a good stock of beer. As for the cricket, we may struggle if Broady cannot bowl. I predict a narrow loss in this test as we always seem to play crap at Trent Bridge. Hope to win the series however. Bresnan would have done well on this pitch.

Apparently Pinoy plus or something will get me the sports channels needed for only 130ish a month.

Ramadan hours may be irrelevant anyway, didn't leave the office until 19:15 last night anyway.

britexpat76 Jul 11th 2013 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794336)
Apparently Pinoy plus or something will get me the sports channels needed for only 130ish a month.

Ramadan hours may be irrelevant anyway, didn't leave the office until 19:15 last night anyway.

You could watch on Laptop, or do you have people lurking behind you?

The Dean Jul 11th 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10793516)

Big statement from The Dean:

I happen to believe that Anderson's ball that removed Michael Clarke was one of the, say, ten best deliveries I have ever seen at any level in cricket. The term 'unplayable' doesn't do it justice. Anyone? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10794490)
You could watch on Laptop, or do you have people lurking behind you?

My laptop is now successfully hooked up to two screens. I site next to my boss but have a carefully positioned file holder to hide one of them.

I think I'll probably stream some of it today on that screen whilst bashing through linkedin on the other.

Definitely leaving on time today though.

Sandboy Jul 11th 2013 8:48 am

first session crucial today - I think we'll rattle them

britexpat76 Jul 11th 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10794520)

I happen to believe that Anderson's ball that removed Michael Clarke was one of the, say, ten best deliveries I have ever seen at any level in cricket. The term 'unplayable' doesn't do it justice. Anyone? :unsure:

Totally agree, tremendous ball.

co durham boy Jul 11th 2013 8:50 am

Correct , swing , pace and even a turn at the end . There's not a batsman on the planet who would have picked that delivery .

Up there with the very best , the perfect ball !

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10794531)
first session crucial today - I think we'll rattle them

I hope you're right. We need a strong first session, 3ish wickets for not many runs.

If we can go in a few runs up, knock 250-300 and leave the something close to or starting with a 3 to chase I think we'll be in with a shout.

Sandboy Jul 11th 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794565)
I hope you're right. We need a strong first session, 3ish wickets for not many runs.

If we can go in a few runs up, knock 250-300 and leave the something close to or starting with a 3 to chase I think we'll be in with a shout.

200 will be enough lead ;)

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 10794607)
200 will be enough lead ;)

Broad is fit to bowl. So I think you're right.

mentalist Jul 11th 2013 9:47 am

What about the Yorker from Siddle which dismissed Rooty (I think it was him) or do you only comment on England performances?

NorthernLad Jul 11th 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10794635)
What about the Yorker from Siddle which dismissed Rooty (I think it was him) or do you only comment on England performances?

If you want to comment on Siddle go to aussieexpatwankers.com.

Sandboy Jul 11th 2013 10:26 am

nothing happening for the seamers, need Swanny

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794529)
My laptop is now successfully hooked up to two screens. I site next to my boss but have a carefully positioned file holder to hide one of them.

I think I'll probably stream some of it today on that screen whilst bashing through linkedin on the other.

Definitely leaving on time today though.

whats the best website to stream it on? PM anyone?

The Dean Jul 11th 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10794635)

Not at all - it just wasn't that good, and certainly not in the same realm as Anderson's. The latter was up there with 'that' Shane Warne ball to Mike Gatting in 1993.

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 10:39 am

Found one :)

Good start to the day anyway. Smith was a massive wicket.

Kix Jul 11th 2013 10:39 am

113/6 now, still 102 lead, 4 left standing, hopefully we can get them all out and have a 50 lead. Swann and Anderson are bowling magnificently.

Kix Jul 11th 2013 10:43 am

Make that 7 down....

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 10:51 am

make that 8 down..

Sandboy Jul 11th 2013 10:52 am

I was obviously talking shite 20 minutes ago :D

Kix Jul 11th 2013 10:59 am

117/9 - what happened?

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 11:06 am

Wow.

Fall of wickets: 1-19 (Watson), 2-19 (Cowan), 3-22 (Clarke), 4-53 (Rogers), 5-108 (Smith), 6-113 (Haddin), 7-114 (Siddle), 8-114 (Starc), 9-117 (Pattinson).

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10794773)
117/9 - what happened?

England decided to start playing.

Not a good summer to be an Aussie at the moment.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10794788)
England decided to start playing.

Not a good summer to be an Aussie at the moment.

There's never been a good summer to be an Aussie.

Do England have the best bowling attack in the world at the moment?

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794791)

haha!

I think anyone would find it very hard to convincingly argue against it. They are just continually pulling the batsmen out of the ****

co durham boy Jul 11th 2013 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794791)

On par with S.A . Steyn and Morkel are a formidable attack

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10794803)
On par with S.A . Steyn and Morkel are a formidable attack

Can't disagree with that.

I just hope Cook smashed a good few runs in the second innings. He's world class.

co durham boy Jul 11th 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10794805)
Can't disagree with that.

I just hope Cook smashed a good few runs in the second innings. He's world class.

250 will be enough to beat these . If Anderson can get a few more rabbits like that Phil Hughes then they could be in for a torrid summer .

Lets hope we bat like adults in the second innings , no need to go for every fu**ing ball in test cricket , school boy error !

The_Citizen Jul 11th 2013 11:34 am

Not a bad last wicket stand this.