Arte Souk this Friday

Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arte Souk this Friday

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Have you considered changing your user name to 'Cheap Bastard'?
I tried but they wouldn't let me. For Dhs30 I can get a bloody good bottle of wine, so naff off.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I tried but they wouldn't let me. For Dhs30 I can get a bloody good bottle of wine, so naff off.
30 dhs for wine and you think it's good? what is up with you these days?
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of a BE discount coz I am not paying Dhs30 for a small jar of pickles however long it might have taken to produce.
No.

Quality fresh ingredients cost money, as do the jars, the stall and then there's the time taken in making them. We don't make many pickles, we make high quality jams, chutneys, relishes and marmalade. If you won't pay for a quality product that tastes great stick to cheap supermarket crap.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You really can't. You may get a drinkable bottle but certainly nothing that is good.

You know the price of everything and the value of nothing...
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You really can't. You may get a drinkable bottle but certainly nothing that is good.

that sums him up nicely
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:27 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Also on a Sat morning there is a small market area behind Times Sq near a well known expensive, crap cafe (dont want to advertise them)that sells organic veg, olives, jams, bread and other bits n pieces. Worth a visit.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:56 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by rowell
Also on a Sat morning there is a small market area behind Times Sq near a well known expensive, crap cafe (dont want to advertise them)that sells organic veg, olives, jams, bread and other bits n pieces. Worth a visit.

It's in The Courtyard, 9-1. Only the veg is organic (allegedly) and some of the stuff they sell is imported and commercially produced, although some ARTE venfors are also there. Everything sold at ARTE is all made in the UAE.

I believe we'll have something like 150 stalls this month so masses of choice and a good place to buy Xmas gifts.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
30 dhs for wine and you think it's good? what is up with you these days?
Why is it that certain people assume that, simply because a product is not British and costs less than you expect then it cannot be good. My profession necessitates that I shop around for the best prices and so I won't get fobbed off with over-priced rubbish. At Al Hamra Cellar in RAK, you can get a perfectly good and tasty red wine from South Africa, Chile or Australia for less than Dhs35. I consume four bottles a week. The only crap wine I've tasted since being here was a Bordeaux costing Dhs75 which was corked. Each to his or her own I suppose.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:18 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Meow;10366329]It's in The Courtyard, 9-1. Only the veg is organic (allegedly) and some of the stuff they sell is imported and commercially producedQUOTE]

As a slightly tangential question, can anybody explain to me please how it is possible to produce anything "organic" in the UAE where both soil and moisture conditions require the use of extraneous resources?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:23 am
Bored liberal

[QUOTE=Miss Anne Thrope;10366673][QUOTE=Meow;10366329]It's in The Courtyard, 9-1. Only the veg is organic (allegedly) and some of the stuff they sell is imported and commercially produced

As a slightly tangential question, can anybody explain to me please how it is possible to produce anything "organic" in the UAE where both soil and moisture conditions require the use of extraneous resources?
A good question. I have often wondered.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:28 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=Miss Anne Thrope;10366673]
It's in The Courtyard, 9-1. Only the veg is organic (allegedly) and some of the stuff they sell is imported and commercially producedQUOTE]

apparently there are organic farms in Abu Dhabi that have better soil quality than can be found here. I find it all rather dubious to be honest with you. Lulu has a good selection of well priced organic veg
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:24 am
Concierge

Hope to see you down at Arte today
Old Nov 9th 2012, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought that phrase was applied to people who would boast about what they have spent while not appreciating what they have ... Like most of the people in Dubai - rather than penny pinching bastards...
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:30 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Hope to see you down at Arte today
Was pleasantly surprised at the turnout, lot of similar stalls but loads of choice.Some great art, really liked the stall with the shell art, unusual.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Was pleasantly surprised at the turnout, lot of similar stalls but loads of choice.Some great art, really liked the stall with the shell art, unusual.
We are now a dubious owner of some hippy dream catcher things. This is what happens when I don't go to supervise proceedings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.