Arrived in Dubai!

Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Arrived in Dubai!

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
A number of your posts seem to highlight your inexperience and innocent naivety (e.g. having to ask if you can have male visitors to visit you and being surprised landlords in Dubai are all a bunch of bvllsh1tting ar$eholes).

Please be VERY aware that all is not necessarily what it seems in the Middle East. People will spin you a yarn readily and without conscience. Forums like this are a useful (and often brutally honest) source of information but please be sure you keep your eyes open and wits about you as a single woman new to Dubai. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security by the apparent 'safety' of the place. Scammers and bvllshitters are commonplace (a pal of mine who is a 8 year veteran was caught up between a landlord and agent in a real estate scam and there was fvck all he could do about it). Do your homework and it's ok (and I would encourage) to be very wary of people and not place trust in them until you're sure.

And remember, if you meet a Mohammed, he won't be any different to all of the rest.... This may not make sense now, but it will in 6 months, especially if you date one.
I think you get a kick out of my inexperience and innocent naivety. Thanks for your concern though. As for the Mohammeds... I'm not quite sure what you mean... My main group of friends are a bunch of 'Mohammeds' and 'Mohammed-esses' ... and my boyfriend is one too. Are they supposed to be scumbags?

Saff
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:59 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
I think you get a kick out of my inexperience and innocent naivety. Thanks for your concern though. As for the Mohammeds... I'm not quite sure what you mean... My main group of friends are a bunch of 'Mohammeds' and 'Mohammed-esses' ... and my boyfriend is one too. Are they supposed to be scumbags?

Saff
Me too - no more likely to be scumbags than anyone else and probably less likely to be casually racist (or homophobic) than your average BE poster. Just as likely to be sexist alas.

Welcome to Dubai. Don't let it change you.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Me too - no more likely to be scumbags than anyone else and probably less likely to be casually racist (or homophobic) than your average BE poster.
Lol. Is that what your Mohammed tells you?

And ladies and gentlemen of the jury.... I rest my case.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Lol. Is that what your Mohammed tells you?

And ladies and gentlemen of the jury.... I rest my case.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:38 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, don't let Dubai change you. You don't have to join the spluttering colonial colonels (or rather the petty officers who aspire to be like them).
Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Expat2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys! So far I've spent my whole day (my first day in Dubai!) traipsing around JLT/Marina/JBR today viewing flatshares with stops at coffeeshops inbetween (like right now! Carrying my trusty laptop around with me) Seen three apts, and two of them were lovely. Half tempted to go for one *right now* but obviously want to see a few more first.

I guess I've come at the perfect time - great walking weather! There was a flatshare I particularly liked.. based on my limited geographical knowledge of the Marina so far, I think it's a little far out from the action? It's next to the Marriot? Or is that still pretty central?

What about you guys who don't drive - do you find it a pain in the neck having to rely on taxis/metro? I was wondering today, would I totally hate this place in the summer when I need to spend 10 minutes outside the building waiting for a cab
Hi Saff, I hope you are well

I am coming to Dubai 20-1-13 & am looking for a villa / Apartment share. Any advise of where to find add's? Im searching from the UK at the mo.

Thanks

Gaz
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expat2020
Hi Saff, I hope you are well

I am coming to Dubai 20-1-13 & am looking for a villa / Apartment share. Any advise of where to find add's? Im searching from the UK at the mo.

Thanks

Gaz
Hey!

Dubizzle.com was my main port of call for flatshares. Other people on this forum have also mentioned adverts are usually pinned on the noticeboards in supermarkets. Rooms in apartment shares seem to go rather quickly and there's no point in trying to arrange any viewings prior to your arrival as most rooms will be snapped up in a few days after they'e been advertised. Wait until you get here to arrange viewings (all of mine viewings were arranged every morning, to be viewed within the next few hours that same day) But I would suggest that you look at the ads every day before you come here to get an idea of what kind of rooms/buildings/areas seem to crop up and the prices you'd expect to pay

Saff
Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Saff did you find somewhere??
Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Saff did you find somewhere??
Hey!

I did indeed, thanks for asking! I moved in a few days ago into a building in the Marina (flatshare)
I'm actually switching apartments (but staying in the same building) at the end of this month because my current room doesn't have a balcony and I saw a room here yesterday I preferred.

Settling in quite nicely and start my new job tomorrow, eek!

Saff
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

I did indeed, thanks for asking! I moved in a few days ago into a building in the Marina (flatshare)
I'm actually switching apartments (but staying in the same building) at the end of this month because my current room doesn't have a balcony and I saw a room here yesterday I preferred.

Settling in quite nicely and start my new job tomorrow, eek!

Saff
good luck today
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

How has day one been so far then?

Most important things you should have covered:

1. Where do you smoke?
2. How often can you smoke?
3. Where is good for lunch?
4. Who to talk to and who not to talk to?
5. Can anyone see your screen and therefore catch you on BBC sport all day.

NOTHING else matters Saff.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
good luck today
Thanks!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
How has day one been so far then?

Most important things you should have covered:

1. Where do you smoke?
2. How often can you smoke?
3. Where is good for lunch?
4. Who to talk to and who not to talk to?
5. Can anyone see your screen and therefore catch you on BBC sport all day.

NOTHING else matters Saff.
Lol! Well day one is now over and I'm home! Smoking is on the office balcony and people seem to do it quite often but I'm afraid I don't join as I don't smoke! Took a packed lunch today but didn't need it as I was thrust into my first lunch meeting. My screen is quite visible and I was very much thrown into the deep end today so didn't have time for Facebooking/BritExpating/Other Hey ho, I'm sure I will figure out how and when I can doss off but in the meantime I'm a little wet behind the ears and therefore eager to make a good impression. Dossing shall probably commence in a month or so! However saying that, I observed everybody today and nobody seemed to be messing about. It seems quite serious

Saff
Old Jan 13th 2013, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Lol! Well day one is now over and I'm home! Smoking is on the office balcony and people seem to do it quite often but I'm afraid I don't join as I don't smoke! Took a packed lunch today but didn't need it as I was thrust into my first lunch meeting. My screen is quite visible and I was very much thrown into the deep end today so didn't have time for Facebooking/BritExpating/Other Hey ho, I'm sure I will figure out how and when I can doss off but in the meantime I'm a little wet behind the ears and therefore eager to make a good impression. Dossing shall probably commence in a month or so! However saying that, I observed everybody today and nobody seemed to be messing about. It seems quite serious

Saff
You just described my office. I'm sure we didn't have anyone new today though.

What do you do again?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
You just described my office. I'm sure we didn't have anyone new today though.

What do you do again?
I used to be in energy but not anymore. I don't really want to put my new industry/job on here but if there's ever some BE meetup I'll let you know in person!

Saff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.