Arrived in Dubai!

Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:43 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived in Dubai!

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
AH, good point about hotel/taxi pickup, I didn't consider that as a plus! Cheers
I resemble one of the posters that live in that area... in terms of cabs it is generally good. The roadworks have not helped recently though they *should* be temporary.

In some ways it's a little out of the way - 10-15 mins walk to the metro, but even in summer you can walk it round the marina then duck into the marina walk by Spinneys to be cool for a bit. The food shops are good - Spinneys, Carrefour, the best fish and cheese shop Market and Platters etc plus dry cleaners etc. Decent restaurants and coffee shops (some with wifi) in the Marina Walk section.

I've never lived in JBR but I can imagine the convenience for amenities is great (except groceries) but holy crap - getting a taxi at rush hour, morning or night, I can imagine is hard.

JLT depends a bit on which sector you are looking at and how the one way system works - again - work in progress.

The apartments are good in The Torch, Sulafa Tower and Emirates Crown. Not seen Princess Tower but hear they are small.

Also where you work (I can't remember) will make a difference.

As Meow mentioned - keep looking for a bit - TECOM and Greens area could be good - the towers by the Greens are nice, The Fairways etc.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:47 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I love the metro and if i was in an apartment, I would definitely choose to be walking distance to a station.
I really like the metro too -really convenient for loads of places. A proud owner of a NOL card.... Even as a car owner quite often I'll take the metro instead as easier compared to parking or getting a cab in certain areas...
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Greenways is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a flatshare I particularly liked.. based on my limited geographical knowledge of the Marina so far, I think it's a little far out from the action? It's next to the Marriot? Or is that still pretty central?

What about you guys who don't drive - do you find it a pain in the neck having to rely on taxis/metro? I was wondering today, would I totally hate this place in the summer when I need to spend 10 minutes outside the building waiting for a cab
Welcome saff
We live at that end of the marina, just across the bridge next to grosvenor, and feel pretty central to everything, easy walking distance to cafes, restaurants and bars and easy to pick up a taxi - if we can't get one immediately we just stroll round to the hotel. Next to the marriott is probably better located for food shopping than we are. Only mild issue for us is the valet parking for the restaurants at the foot of our apartment building and the bus picks ups for staff - traffic can be mayhem at times, although when my husband viewed it he thought it was a quiet cul-de-sac so if you can check out apartments/areas at different times of the day.

Re metro - I work up at waafi area so have a car but do take taxis and metros occasionally, there are connecting buses to the metro stations that travel round the marina. The metro takes too long for me as I have to change stations.

Good luck with your accommodation hunt.

Greenways
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Got here this evening!

I love the metro and if i was in an apartment, I would definitely choose to be walking distance to a station.
Millhouse, you're ok?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

thanks guys! So far I've spent my whole day (my first day in Dubai!) traipsing around JLT/Marina/JBR today viewing flatshares with stops at coffeeshops inbetween (like right now! Carrying my trusty laptop around with me) Seen three apts, and two of them were lovely. Half tempted to go for one *right now* but obviously want to see a few more first.

I guess I've come at the perfect time - great walking weather! There was a flatshare I particularly liked.. based on my limited geographical knowledge of the Marina so far, I think it's a little far out from the action? It's next to the Marriot? Or is that still pretty central?

What about you guys who don't drive - do you find it a pain in the neck having to rely on taxis/metro? I was wondering today, would I totally hate this place in the summer when I need to spend 10 minutes outside the building waiting for a cab
Sounds like a decent location, glad you arrived safely!

When do you start work?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sounds like a decent location, glad you arrived safely!

When do you start work?
Cheers Scamp. I start on the 13th My employer (now my ex employer) was kind enough to let me leave before the end of my 1 month notice so that I could have an extra week in Dubai before work to get to know the city and settle in a bit

Saff
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I resemble one of the posters that live in that area... in terms of cabs it is generally good. The roadworks have not helped recently though they *should* be temporary.

In some ways it's a little out of the way - 10-15 mins walk to the metro, but even in summer you can walk it round the marina then duck into the marina walk by Spinneys to be cool for a bit. The food shops are good - Spinneys, Carrefour, the best fish and cheese shop Market and Platters etc plus dry cleaners etc. Decent restaurants and coffee shops (some with wifi) in the Marina Walk section.

I've never lived in JBR but I can imagine the convenience for amenities is great (except groceries) but holy crap - getting a taxi at rush hour, morning or night, I can imagine is hard.

JLT depends a bit on which sector you are looking at and how the one way system works - again - work in progress.

The apartments are good in The Torch, Sulafa Tower and Emirates Crown. Not seen Princess Tower but hear they are small.

Also where you work (I can't remember) will make a difference.

As Meow mentioned - keep looking for a bit - TECOM and Greens area could be good - the towers by the Greens are nice, The Fairways etc.
Ah yes I was in Emirates Crown yesterday and really liked the apartment I saw. The master bedroom's bathroom was huge!

The roadworks around and about the area is a bummer though. The landlord who was showing me around assured me that it'd all be gone in the next two days but I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth. It looked pretty chaotic to me? Or does construction work in the Middle East tend to wrap up pretty quickly?

Saff
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes I was in Emirates Crown yesterday and really liked the apartment I saw. The master bedroom's bathroom was huge!

The roadworks around and about the area is a bummer though. The landlord who was showing me around assured me that it'd all be gone in the next two days but I wasn't sure if he was telling the truth. It looked pretty chaotic to me? Or does construction work in the Middle East tend to wrap up pretty quickly?

Saff
Next two days?

No chance. It'll be ages,
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Next two days?
No chance. It'll be ages,
I think he meant the next two years. It's presumably linked to the tram system under construction.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Yesterday I rang someone on Dubizzle, 'Mr Landlord', because he had an advert for a girls only flatshare. When I rang him he said it had *just* gone but he could show me a masterbed+ensuite in a mixed flatshare in the Marina, which turned out to be lovely. He told me I would be hard pressed to find a girls only apartment and that he has none to offer at the moment.
Today I went on Dubizzle and found an advert posted just last night for a masterbed+ensuite in a girls only apt in the same tower, when I rang the number, it was the same landlord! I didn't realise until the very end when I asked for his name and then we hung up, but he must have had my number saved on his phone and knew it was me. Awkward! And what a fibber
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:01 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I rang someone on Dubizzle, 'Mr Landlord', because he had an advert for a girls only flatshare. When I rang him he said it had *just* gone but he could show me a masterbed+ensuite in a mixed flatshare in the Marina, which turned out to be lovely. He told me I would be hard pressed to find a girls only apartment and that he has none to offer at the moment.
Today I went on Dubizzle and found an advert posted just last night for a masterbed+ensuite in a girls only apt in the same tower, when I rang the number, it was the same landlord! I didn't realise until the very end when I asked for his name and then we hung up, but he must have had my number saved on his phone and knew it was me. Awkward! And what a fibber
No, not awkward. He's just the usual shady, truth-dodging LL that you'll find in Dubai.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
No, not awkward. He's just the usual shady, truth-dodging LL that you'll find in Dubai.
Why would he fib about not having a female only flatshare available? What am I missing here...
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:11 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he fib about not having a female only flatshare available? What am I missing here...
I wouldn't go down this route if I was you, it sounds a bit dodgy. Try supermarket notice boards etc or speak to tenants who are renting a room not a LL looking for tenants, sounds rather prostituty to me?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:29 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Saff
It'll be there for another 18 months or so. Emirates Crown end isn't so bad though. You're quite far away from the bulk of the road works, so noise shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Myusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really niceMyusernamewastaken is just really nice

Did he tell you the same thing the second time you called him? In that case maybe he is telling the truth about not having a female only flatshare but advertises something that can't be offered as a way to get phone calls to have people to look at other apartments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.