Wikiposts

the armed forces

Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the armed forces

Originally Posted by shiva
you've clearly never known any royal marines then.top blokes though most of em that i've known, mad ****ing bastards but top blokes

MARINE=Muscles a requirement Intelligence Not Essential.
I beg to disagree. Although they might not be your average university scholar, Royal Marines unlike the Army are a cut above the rest. I'm sure that they are also experiencing less casualties than the Army since their training is par excellence.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaWarrior
I beg to disagree. Although they might not be your average university scholar, Royal Marines unlike the Army are a cut above the rest. I'm sure that they are also experiencing less casualties than the Army since their training is par excellence.
probably no better than the Paras though.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
probably no better than the Paras though.
Well paras are another thing. They are known to be more of the heavy attack grunts. Once you are Royal Marines, it would be easier to get in the SAS and SPS units...

Training wise, there is not much difference really. But it is the discipline within the units is what differentiates one from the other.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:27 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

That is quite a sweeping statement...yes the Royal Marine selection is tough, but a cut above the Army? Are you aware of the different units in the Army? Try telling a Pathfinder that Royal Marines are cut above them and see how they react.

Thinking longer term (i.e. life after military service) and I wouldn't say Royal Marines are the best option.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:27 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Royal Marines is the amphibious fighting arm of the Royal Navy, nothing to do with the Army, so they are one step ahead of the game for a start.

Having worked extensively with the 'bootnecks' and their SB counterparts on operations in Iraq, Sierra Leone amongst others) and actually being brought up in a town that hosted 2 of the Royal Marines Commando units, i am pretty well versed on this.

They are fitter than other units (SF and Para's excluded) and are equally as aggressive as their army counterparts from Aldershot.

The basic rule of soldiering still applies though. Teamwork, aggression, discipline and will.

As for casualties v the army. Your argument is very flawed. It all depends on the thearter.

One would say that the RN, which is without doubt (unbaised i know) the best trained and worst equiped Navy in the world but yet in '82 before the army even had greased their guns, the RN were losing ships and men at an alarming rate.

Afghanistan, The Royal marines have lost quite a substantial amount of men.

Yes the booties have the history and training, but unfortunately they are operating in places now where there is sometimes no clearly defined enemy, where suicide bombers are the main risk along with IED's...Its new for all.

Ive also seen them in action on a saturday night in town....frightening.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:29 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Well paras are another thing. They are known to be more of the heavy attack grunts. Once you are Royal Marines, it would be easier to get in the SAS and SPS units...

Training wise, there is not much difference really. But it is the discipline within the units is what differentiates one from the other.
The SAS is mostly made up of Paras at trooper level

The SBS is pretty much soley made up of Marines.

Although with the joint selection of the UKSF this is changing..

roger..out
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
That is quite a sweeping statement...yes the Royal Marine selection is tough, but a cut above the Army? Are you aware of the different units in the Army? Try telling a Pathfinder that Royal Marines are cut above them and see how they react.

Thinking longer term (i.e. life after military service) and I wouldn't say Royal Marines are the best option.
Ok, I wouldn't like to start an Army vs. Marines debate now. Each unit has their own specialty and training is congruent likewise.

In the long run, I would agree that being in Sandhurst is a better option. But there is no stopping you from trying out for these units as well. You can always opt for Intelligence service after the military.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
can't he join the Irish Army? then go risk of him ever having to go to war.
lol, always have to get your little dig in hey

He is British matey and quite patriotic and no that doesn't bother me at all!

Last edited by Grace O Malley; Jan 18th 2009 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:30 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
hmmm... like the uni idea but fireserivce, yes, police, no way in hell. have only come across a few very exceptional people who at the age of 20 had enough experience and sensitivity to handle being a beat cop. years of life experience required first to handle the sometimes overwhelmingly challenging situations a beat cop gets exposed to
I wouldn't advocate they go on the beat - plenty of jobs in the police that don't involve that. People who are not fit or strong enough can just do admin or support jobs. I would even say if they joined the services they be put last on any call up lists.

The idea is to foster civic pride and duty, responsibility, discipline and to give something first to the state before expecting free education or some sort of handouts.

N.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:36 pm
banned

Ok, I wouldn't like to start an Army vs. Marines debate now. Each unit has their own specialty and training is congruent likewise.

In the long run, I would agree that being in Sandhurst is a better option. But there is no stopping you from trying out for these units as well. You can always opt for Intelligence service after the military.

Anna, forget Sandhurst, full of barbour wearing toffs

Get him to BRNC Dartmouth..its not called the Senior Service for nothing.

Royal Navy..see the world, differently...
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:49 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

what commander said.

oh and the military has its own intelligence service as well and mi5/6 both prefer fresh grads these days not ex squadies, matloes, officers and fly boys
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Anna,

If he is an Irish passport holder, he cannot join the British Armed Forces, but if not.........

He has British passport

Despite all the dramatic pictures you see on the news, and stories of 'Corporal Bloggs killed in Afghanistan' etc, the vast majority of forces personnel are little more than sentries these days.

Thats what he told me

Budgets have been slashed to almost non-existent levels (my brother-in-law had a winter exercise in Norway cancelled due to 'lack of funding for essential equipment'), and the image of travelling round the world putting some uppity natives who still think we rule them in their place went out of style a long time ago.

Definitely get a degree first (or get sponsored by the forces to do one) and then - at 21-ish - see if he still feels like it.
I wanted him to go to Uni

He said he can do Uni through the Military

Not sure how that works tho
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys for all yr replies, I knew if I posted you would offer advice, but having read all I am a little confused, panic is setting in probably,
help!

What is Sandhurst exactly? Is it officer training? The website is confusing? Or maybe i have a mental block!

Or does he go to Uni first and then join Sandhurst? Or vice versa?

As one of you said , he can do Uni whilst being in the military? How does that work

Thanks guys, once i get that sorted out, i can have a look on the web!

anna
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:06 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
I wanted him to go to Uni

He said he can do Uni through the Military

Not sure how that works tho
itstead of asking a bunch of the bored why not go here
http://www.army.mod.uk/
and here
http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/howdoijoi...s/default.aspx

then specifically here
http://www.army.mod.uk/8478.aspx

and here
http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:10 pm
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by annacarna
Thanks guys for all yr replies, I knew if I posted you would offer advice, but having read all I am a little confused, panic is setting in probably,
help!

What is Sandhurst exactly? Is it officer training? The website is confusing? Or maybe i have a mental block!

Or does he go to Uni first and then join Sandhurst? Or vice versa?

As one of you said , he can do Uni whilst being in the military? How does that work

Thanks guys, once i get that sorted out, i can have a look on the web!

anna
ok he needs to decide what he wants to do, ie infantry officer, intellegence, engineer, vet, helicopter pilot etc.
then get in touch with a recruiter who will explain what he needs to do
see here http://www.armyonline.mod.uk/

oh forgot. Sandhurst is the royal military academy sandhurst in surrey, basically its an officer training school where he will learn military techniques, strategic thinking, leadership training etc ie make him into a soldier. take 1 normal civvie at one end and ex weeks later punt out a junior officer ready to join his regiment

Last edited by shiva; Jan 18th 2009 at 5:14 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.