Wikiposts

the armed forces

Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:49 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the armed forces

Originally Posted by commander
Yes, english is not my forte,

however in the navy, guided missle systems was..and the pay packet was only really good for the ratings who were promoted 'upper yardman' i.e were CPO's or PO's and promoted to SLt's and whisked off to Southampton Uni (post the shutdown of RNEC Manadin) on 40K a year to be a student..
No worries..I was only jesting. My best mate (no pun intended) is a chief engineer on the offshore supply vessels...very good pay. About AUD$160,000 p.a. ...not sure of navy equivalent though.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 12:58 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
No worries..I was only jesting. My best mate (no pun intended) is a chief engineer on the offshore supply vessels...very good pay. About AUD$160,000 p.a. ...not sure of navy equivalent though.
AF pay is good, its not great though.

Officers in the navy tend to do it for Kudos not dosh..

thats why i left as im a money grabbing jock..
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:00 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
So don't join the army? or only join the army as an officer? How do you join as an officer???
i would only wish my offspring to join the Royal Navy (the senior service) or the RAF at a push..

And based on my extensive experience in this subject, only as a commissioned officer. Not by doing it the hard way like Daddy

Rum, Bum and Baccy..
Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

can't he join the Irish Army? then go risk of him ever having to go to war.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
can't he join the Irish Army? then go risk of him ever having to go to war.
Irish Army is a quality job i think - i met a few (not that i have ever served) and they were all sound. Bit less gung ho than British Army but i think that goes with the neutrality issue - the role of the Irish Army attracts those more minded to peace keeping while the alpha males join the British Army. I think a military career is a fine thing, but don't have kids so my perspective will differ from parents.
Not much scope outside the Army though... Air Corps somewhat limited, Navy more promising
Attached Thumbnails the armed forces-cessna1.jpg   the armed forces-emer1.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

If i had a kid, I'd encourage it. There is more available than just "walking around waving a rifle". Not to mention the life skills and discipline you gain.

I am all for mandatory military service to be introduced in my country for early school leavers.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:46 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
If i had a kid, I'd encourage it. There is more available than just "walking around waving a rifle". Not to mention the life skills and discipline you gain.

I am all for mandatory military service to be introduced in my country for early school leavers.
mandatory military service? now there's an interesting thought. can't imagine what sh*t we'd be in if that was in place. (idi amin (spelling) is a fine example of putting people who shouldn't be in the military, in the military, and then letting 'political correctness' have it's way - can you imagine what would happen in today's britain? )

let only those that want to join the military, join, don't force someone who shouldn't be there
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:59 am
banned

National service wouldn't be a bad thing to sort out the 'chav' culture
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:51 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

the kind of 'intervention' to sort out 'chav' culture may not be within the bounds of what the military can do. remember, there's a helluva lot more restraint now because of sensitivities and bullying. (hell, would think a few lance-corps would pop a blood vessel trying to restrain themselves from beating the sh!t/sense out of your average lacosse wearing muppet... )
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond reputeDaWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

annacarna, I would suggest that you also tell your son to try out for the Royale Marines as I've heard that the army is infested with chav culture, although there are a couple of dignified regiments that he could apply for. Royale Marines is elite and more of a "thinking man's battalion".
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:26 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Would you want your son/daughter to join up? (After A Levels, not at 16)
Yes I will encourage him to do so.

Would rather he done college and uni first though and tried to get a commission but even as a grunt would be ok as long he was not in the infantry.

I think uni education should be free provided 18 year olds do 2 years in the services or police/fireservice first. That would foster a lot of discipline and character development in students.

N.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Amen!

N.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaWarrior
annacarna, I would suggest that you also tell your son to try out for the Royale Marines as I've heard that the army is infested with chav culture, although there are a couple of dignified regiments that he could apply for. Royale Marines is elite and more of a "thinking man's battalion".

you've clearly never known any royal marines then.top blokes though most of em that i've known, mad ****ing bastards but top blokes

MARINE=Muscles a requirement Intelligence Not Essential.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Yes I will encourage him to do so.

Would rather he done college and uni first though and tried to get a commission but even as a grunt would be ok as long he was not in the infantry.

I think uni education should be free provided 18 year olds do 2 years in the services or police/fireservice first. That would foster a lot of discipline and character development in students.

N.
hmmm... like the uni idea but fireserivce, yes, police, no way in hell. have only come across a few very exceptional people who at the age of 20 had enough experience and sensitivity to handle being a beat cop. years of life experience required first to handle the sometimes overwhelmingly challenging situations a beat cop gets exposed to
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Anna,

If he is an Irish passport holder, he cannot join the British Armed Forces, but if not.........

Despite all the dramatic pictures you see on the news, and stories of 'Corporal Bloggs killed in Afghanistan' etc, the vast majority of forces personnel are little more than sentries these days.

Budgets have been slashed to almost non-existent levels (my brother-in-law had a winter exercise in Norway cancelled due to 'lack of funding for essential equipment'), and the image of travelling round the world putting some uppity natives who still think we rule them in their place went out of style a long time ago.

Definitely get a degree first (or get sponsored by the forces to do one) and then - at 21-ish - see if he still feels like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.