British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Arabian Businees vs Pan Arabian Enquirer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/arabian-businees-vs-pan-arabian-enquirer-822385/)

shiva Jan 21st 2014 5:50 am

Arabian Businees vs Pan Arabian Enquirer

Frankly I'm finding it increasingly difficult to tell them apart.

Had both websites open a minute ago and whilst looking at the below stories I had to check which tab I was actually viewing.

SZR Insanity

Wolf of Wall Street
bear in mind that this is a convicted fraudster who is highly likely to be back in court for failing to pay the restitution he still owes.

this though is brilliant as always
http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wp-...otographer.jpg

Maxima Jan 21st 2014 6:02 am

Re: Arabian Businees vs Pan Arabian Enquirer

Add Emirates24/7 into the mix.

The "Wolf" being invited to speak reminded me of this gem from the Enquirer

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...nce-nye-party/

flares Jan 21st 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 11088593)
Add Emirates24/7 into the mix.

The "Wolf" being invited to speak reminded me of this gem from the Enquirer

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...nce-nye-party/

sheet I missed S Club 7 in Dubai

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11088588)

bear in mind that this is a convicted fraudster who is highly likely to be back in court for failing to pay the restitution he still owes.

...not sure that's true.

shiva Jan 21st 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11088741)
...not sure that's true.

here

"Belfort's 1,500 victims, including Mr Shearin, are also furious that the con man, who has admitted he was a "greed-fuelled animal" while on Wall Street, has failed to pay back the money he scammed, despite a $110 million restitution order by a federal judge, part of his sentence for fraud and money laundering in 2003."

"Last October the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York filed a motion into court asking for Belfort to be held in default of the restitution order. Of the $11.6 million collected against his $110 million debt, it stated, most came from the sale of seized assets and Belfort has paid just $243,000 over the last four years, despite receiving $1.7 million from his two books and the sale of the movie rights. He opposed the motion, arguing that the requirement to pay restitution has expired. The US Attorney's Office has since withdrawn the motion, in order to keep negotiations with Belfort open."

and here for a start

"For example, Mr. Belfort received $940,000 in 2011 selling movie rights to his story, according to court documents, but that year paid just $21,000 in restitution and claimed a $24,000 deduction on his income tax for the payment."

good film but the real mans an absolute ****

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11088810)
here

"Belfort's 1,500 victims, including Mr Shearin, are also furious that the con man, who has admitted he was a "greed-fuelled animal" while on Wall Street, has failed to pay back the money he scammed, despite a $110 million restitution order by a federal judge, part of his sentence for fraud and money laundering in 2003."

"Last October the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York filed a motion into court asking for Belfort to be held in default of the restitution order. Of the $11.6 million collected against his $110 million debt, it stated, most came from the sale of seized assets and Belfort has paid just $243,000 over the last four years, despite receiving $1.7 million from his two books and the sale of the movie rights. He opposed the motion, arguing that the requirement to pay restitution has expired. The US Attorney's Office has since withdrawn the motion, in order to keep negotiations with Belfort open."

and here for a start

"For example, Mr. Belfort received $940,000 in 2011 selling movie rights to his story, according to court documents, but that year paid just $21,000 in restitution and claimed a $24,000 deduction on his income tax for the payment."

good film but the real mans an absolute ****

I remain suspicious of any article that has to have a paragraph of this length at the end with corrections to facts:

Corrections & Amplifications

Former Wall Street broker Jordan Belfort has lived in the U.S. since his release from prison in April 2006 and has made some restitution payments to victims of his fraud scheme, though less than the amount owed, according to federal prosecutors. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said he relocated to Australia, where his assets would be out of reach of U.S. authorities, based on erroneous information provided by the U.S. attorney's office in Brooklyn. The article also incorrectly said he hasn't made restitution payments since 2009. In addition, the court ordered Mr. Belfort to pay $110.4 million in restitution to his victims. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said he and a partner were ordered to pay that amount.
Haven't seen the film yet, but have read the books. The bloke is doing what he has always done, taking advantage of loopholes and long bits of rope.

He's paid some money back, he hasn't paid some money back, depends on who you want to believe. He can't physically pay all that money back in his lifetime so people will always be upset about it.

Such is. Personally, I think he's quite an interesting and impressive bloke, for the wrong reasons.

shiva Jan 21st 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11088858)

Such is. Personally, I think he's quite an interesting and impressive bloke, for the wrong reasons.

if by interesting you mean a sociopathic avaricious **** who should be put against a wall and shot, then yes he is interesting

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11088956)
if by interesting you mean a sociopathic avaricious **** who should be put against a wall and shot, then yes he is interesting

Nah, I don't mean like that. That's a bit extreme.

He profited (illegally) from other people's greed. He served his time in jail and has paid some money back, he can't physically pay it all back in his lifetime and apparently isn't paying it back quickly enough (depending on who you wish to believe).

Shooting him won't get any money back.

shiva Jan 21st 2014 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11088974)

He profited (illegally) from other people's greed. He served his time in jail and has paid some money back, he can't physically pay it all back in his lifetime and apparently isn't paying it back quickly enough (depending on who you wish to believe).

He knowingly and willfully defrauded thousands of people and has shown no regret for his actions. I'm pretty sure that's almost the definition of a sociopathic avaricious ****.
You are right though shooting is too easy, just leave him in a room with his victims. That should do it

NorthernLad Jan 21st 2014 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11088974)

I saw one of the prosecutors in his case being interviewed recently, sounds like a lot of people lost out down to his greed (not read the book or seen the film yet).

If I were conned out of all the money I'd saved, him doing a few years in jail then paying back in dribs and drabs whilst travelling the world doing 'motivational' speaking would seriously piss me off.

Think about it, he ruined peoples lives. Thats a big statement.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 21st 2014 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11088989)
He knowingly and willfully defrauded thousands of people and has shown no regret for his actions. I'm pretty sure that's almost the definition of a sociopathic avaricious ****.
You are right though shooting is too easy, just leave him in a room with his victims. That should do it

:rofl: They'd enjoy that I'm sure.

If he said sorry and was regretful, I'm not sure anyone would think any differently.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11088992)
I saw one of the prosecutors in his case being interviewed recently, sounds like a lot of people lost out down to his greed (not read the book or seen the film yet).

If I were conned out of all the money I'd saved, him doing a few years in jail then paying back in dribs and drabs whilst travelling the world doing 'motivational' speaking would seriously piss me off.

Absolutely. Fortunately you or I weren't.

He does seem to have it pretty cushy at the moment.

Meow Jan 21st 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11088992)

Which is why he'll fit in perfectly with some of the people running companies here.

He's a con artist in a fancy suit. More fool anyone who parts with their money to hear this arsehole speak.

Boomhauer Jan 21st 2014 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11088588)
Wolf of Wall Street

He's a perfect fit for the region , it's a match made in sociopathic heaven. Heck I think he would actually get some pointers on how to exploit and abuse people.

mikewot Jan 22nd 2014 5:23 am

The Pan-Arabia Enquirer, the world’s only 7-star news source, has revealed that it is not behind recent rumours regarding plans to add a second tier to the UAE’s Sheikh Zayed Road.

Since suggestions first emerged that transport authorities could ease traffic congestion by making parts of the popular highway double-decker, many regional experts immediately accused The Pan-Arabia Enquirer of being involved.

“We totally understand why people might automatically assume something that sounds so utterly mental might be our handiwork,” said The Pan-Arabia Enquirer’s deputy travel editor Rusty Crumpets. “But this time, it’s really not us.”

Crumpets added that coming up with “wacky, ‘out there’ ideas” was becoming increasingly difficult for the Enquirer’s editorial team in today’s world.

“With underwater malls and gold class lanes, our creative minds once led the way when it came to bonkers LOL-worthy developments,” he said.

“However, since the economy picked up we’ve seen reality really beginning to breathe down our necks again. We’re not there yet, but we’re almost back to the dark days of 2006 and 2007.”

Crumpets warned that, without the right intervention, there could be a return to what has since become known as 2007′s ‘Black Monday’, which saw numerous satirical organs close following the real-life announcement of a tower in the shape of a man in traditional Arabic dress.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...abia-enquirer/

shiva Jan 22nd 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11090644)
The Pan-Arabia Enquirer, the world’s only 7-star news source, has revealed that it is not behind recent rumours regarding plans to add a second tier to the UAE’s Sheikh Zayed Road.

Since suggestions first emerged that transport authorities could ease traffic congestion by making parts of the popular highway double-decker, many regional experts immediately accused The Pan-Arabia Enquirer of being involved.

“We totally understand why people might automatically assume something that sounds so utterly mental might be our handiwork,” said The Pan-Arabia Enquirer’s deputy travel editor Rusty Crumpets. “But this time, it’s really not us.”

Crumpets added that coming up with “wacky, ‘out there’ ideas” was becoming increasingly difficult for the Enquirer’s editorial team in today’s world.

“With underwater malls and gold class lanes, our creative minds once led the way when it came to bonkers LOL-worthy developments,” he said.

“However, since the economy picked up we’ve seen reality really beginning to breathe down our necks again. We’re not there yet, but we’re almost back to the dark days of 2006 and 2007.”

Crumpets warned that, without the right intervention, there could be a return to what has since become known as 2007′s ‘Black Monday’, which saw numerous satirical organs close following the real-life announcement of a tower in the shape of a man in traditional Arabic dress.

http://www.panarabiaenquirer.com/wor...abia-enquirer/

Do the editors read the bored then?