Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Arab Youth Survey - joining Daesh

Arab Youth Survey - joining Daesh

Old Apr 13th 2016, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arab Youth Survey - joining Daesh

A recent poll spanning 16 nations across the Middle East and North Africa has found that most young Arabs are against the so-called Islamic State and believe it will ultimately fail to establish a caliphate. The 2016 Arab Youth Survey revealed that 77 percent of Arabs aged 18 to 24 are concerned about the terror group’s rise with 50 percent considering it the biggest obstacle facing the Middle East. Only 13 percent of young Arabs feel they could support the group, even if it was less violent.

I was a bit concerned when I heard the 13% to be honest...

Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Youth Survey - joining Daesh

Only 13 percent of young Arabs feel they could support the group, even if it was less violent.

I was a bit concerned when I heard the 13% to be honest...

Don't worry, that's only 4.5 million people.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If I am reading that right, for 24% the reason for joining a group that likes to go round is killing and bombing is a lack of jobs and opportunities? WTAF? Are they trying to create vacancies?

*mind boggling*
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:53 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If I am reading that right, for 24% the reason for joining a group that likes to go round is killing and bombing is a lack of jobs and opportunities? WTAF? Are they trying to create vacancies?

*mind boggling*
In a similar vein Saudi have been shit scared about this for a long time.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

*mind boggling*
You don't think there is a sense of entitlement do you?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:31 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Scamp
I know it's not what you mean, but all citizens are entitled to expect their governments to do the best to maximise their job opportunities. When you consider the degree of corruption in so many third-world countries it's little wonder that those most affected -- young males -- seek ways of venting their anger and frustration. Doesn't justify Daesh, of course, but many governments / dictators are a major cause of radicalisation. The other major cause is brainwashing from birth.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

*mind boggling*
You read it correctly.

It's not an uncommon link, even in Northern Ireland a large driver of the peace process was a housing boom that kept the trouble makers busy flipping houses.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I know it's not what you mean, but all citizens are entitled to expect their governments to do the best to maximise their job opportunities. When you consider the degree of corruption in so many third-world countries it's little wonder that those most affected -- young males -- seek ways of venting their anger and frustration. Doesn't justify Daesh, of course, but many governments / dictators are a major cause of radicalisation. The other major cause is brainwashing from birth.
I see what you mean and don't think you're wrong.

However...there are places where citizens have much less than perhaps those considered here. Fewer opportunities, less government support and less 'career' paths to follow....yet don't see terrorism as an actual alternative. It sounds like a really immature threat; 'if you don't find me work then I might be a terrorist'.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

'if you don't find me work then I might be a terrorist'.
Wonder if it works in other situations....

In a club at a busy bar .... if you don't serve me next then I might become a terrorist.....

When chatting to a chick .... if you don't give me your number then I might become a terrorist.....

When the taxi driver is being a dick .... if you don't take me to the marina then I might become a terrorist.....

So many possibilities...
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:06 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
There are many far poorer and less fortunate parts of the world though that don't have any significant problems with terrorism and the rise of bloody theocratic states who despite constantly declaring they are based on the historical Caliphate are viewed as being 'corrupt' or 'disadvantaged'.

N.
I see what you mean and don't think you're wrong.

However...there are places where citizens have much less than perhaps those considered here. Fewer opportunities, less government support and less 'career' paths to follow....yet don't see terrorism as an actual alternative. It sounds like a really immature threat; 'if you don't find me work then I might be a terrorist'.
Maybe I should have emphasised more my final sentence?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Maybe I should have emphasised more my final sentence?
Hahahah.

Well, because you didn't I'm now a terrorist. Well done. Your fault.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 9:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I simply cannot imagine where you got that idea?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:45 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If you do I will accuse you of being racist

N.
You could start with this odious woman first:

KATIE HOPKINS: What do British Muslims Really Think? Now we know. And it’s terrifying | Daily Mail Online
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:01 pm
Bored liberal

Everyone would be happier if they avoided the Daily Mail altogether.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Everyone would be happier if they avoided the Daily Mail altogether.
I wouldnt be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.