British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Arab States Get Rated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/arab-states-get-rated-559702/)

happy man Sep 5th 2008 3:50 pm

Arab States Get Rated

I was reading an article and I thought of sharing it with you. It's about a survey that has been done by engineers who live in the gulf regarding rating the gulf states based on living standards. The results were as follows:

Social Life: Best (Oman) / Worst (Qatar)
Accommodation: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iraq)
Affordability: Best (Kuwait) / Worst (Iraq)
Security oustisde work: Best (Dubai) / Worst (Iran)
Suitability for families: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Leisure amenities: Best (Dubai) / Worsk (Saudi)
Power & water supply: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Healthcare: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Acceptance with locals: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iraq)
Local colleagues' skill: Best (Iran) / Worst (Saudi)
Security while working: Best (Oman) / Worst (Saudi)
IT infrastruture: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iran)

There was also a global rating which brought Bahrain as the best place to live and work in. 88% of engineers who worked there recommend it. This percentage is 83% for Australia, 76% for Abu Dhabi, 73% for Dubai and only 61% for the UK.

The Dean Sep 5th 2008 4:39 pm

Re: Arab States Get Rated

Originally Posted by happy man (Post 6752605)
I was reading an article and I thought of sharing it with you. It's about a survey that has been done by engineers who live in the gulf regarding rating the gulf states based on living standards. The results were as follows:

Social Life: Best (Oman) / Worst (Qatar)
Accommodation: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iraq)
Affordability: Best (Kuwait) / Worst (Iraq)
Security oustisde work: Best (Dubai) / Worst (Iran)
Suitability for families: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Leisure amenities: Best (Dubai) / Worsk (Saudi)
Power & water supply: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Healthcare: Best (Abu Dhabi) / Worst (Iraq)
Acceptance with locals: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iraq)
Local colleagues' skill: Best (Iran) / Worst (Saudi)
Security while working: Best (Oman) / Worst (Saudi)
IT infrastruture: Best (Oman) / Worst (Iran)

There was also a global rating which brought Bahrain as the best place to live and work in. 88% of engineers who worked there recommend it. This percentage is 83% for Australia, 76% for Abu Dhabi, 73% for Dubai and only 61% for the UK.

That must be specific to the engineering industry, rather than a more general survey.

"Local colleagues skill" - Saudis the worst?? Not in my line of work, that's for sure.

And how does Bahrain win the overall award (I'd agree) but doesn't win any individual categories?

Bijilo123 Sep 6th 2008 10:17 am

Re: Arab States Get Rated

Kuwait coming first in affordability is probably right. But it has free med and dental (well 1 to 5 KD) and is extremely family friendly. Also water and elec are usually in the rent and so dealing with them is no problem. Some locals are difficult and driving standards are poor.

Kuwait is mis represented I fear.