Arab Pride

Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:14 am
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arab Pride

In the car I was listening to to a radio advert. It gave a list of things like Ice Cream and University Gowns. It was an advert fo an exhibition on things that Islam has given to the West. It seems to me that there is a lack of pride in the Arab identity. I also wonder how something like this makes non-msulim Arabs feel.

I can't ever see there being an exhibition on the Internal Combustion Engine that Christianity gave to the world.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:27 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 23,434
Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
In the car I was listening to to a radio advert. It gave a list of things like Ice Cream and University Gowns. It was an advert fo an exhibition on things that Islam has given to the West. It seems to me that there is a lack of pride in the Arab identity. I also wonder how something like this makes non-msulim Arabs feel.

I can't ever see there being an exhibition on the Internal Combustion Engine that Christianity gave to the world.
AFAIK most of the inventions were made by the Muslim Persians, not the Arabs...
It will rile the Arabs, but, what can we do???
Confucius is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:28 am
  #3  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Arab Pride

It's fairly simple. Arabs and Muslims (most inventions were more by Muslims) are constantly attacked by the West, pointing out the advances and contributions that Islam has given to modern and ancient life seems fair enough to me.

Aside from the argument that Arabs are losing their identity because of globalisation (and you could apply that succesfully to any cultural ethnic group). You also have to say it's not like they sit and hold daily exhibitions or base their entire lives around telling the West about these things.

And for pure interest purposes, most Westeners have no clue about how many Islamic inventions and concepts contribute to their lives.

There should also be a Scottish exhibition. After all, as people from the Middle East and Muslims advanced ancient societies, so Scotland is responsible for the modern world :-)
 
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:28 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 3,968
arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

we all know that Scots inventions pioneered the way forward for the modern world......

edit, you beat me to it W10...
arbroath_abroad is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:30 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 23,434
Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad View Post
we all know that Scots inventions pioneered the way forward for the modern world......

edit, you beat me to it W10...
Aye... So start typing up that old list again...
Confucius is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:31 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 3,968
arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
Aye... So start typing up that old list again...
hahaha was thinking about that...
arbroath_abroad is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:36 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
It's fairly simple. Arabs and Muslims (most inventions were more by Muslims) are constantly attacked by the West, pointing out the advances and contributions that Islam has given to modern and ancient life seems fair enough to me.

Aside from the argument that Arabs are losing their identity because of globalisation (and you could apply that succesfully to any cultural ethnic group). You also have to say it's not like they sit and hold daily exhibitions or base their entire lives around telling the West about these things.

And for pure interest purposes, most Westeners have no clue about how many Islamic inventions and concepts contribute to their lives.

There should also be a Scottish exhibition. After all, as people from the Middle East and Muslims advanced ancient societies, so Scotland is responsible for the modern world :-)
The persians, ottomans, arabs etc did indeed give the world a great many things and were well in advance of europe in many ways.

but surely it was people from those countries/regions who gave the world many inventions rather than a religion. I would not be happy if christianity claimed responsibility for the many British inventions. In fact christianity was probably more responsible for stifling invention.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:37 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
Aye... So start typing up that old list again...
no doubt the Deep Fried Mars Bar will top the list
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:41 am
  #9  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Arab Pride

You are reading it from a modern, post-reformation, Western christian perspective.

You think the caliphates etc were based around anything other than religion?

Try to remember that Islam was/is at the centre of these people's lives. For perspective, think about 16th and 17th century painters, the magnificent christian architecture from hundreds of years ago...why did these things happen? For the name and glory of god.
 
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:42 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
jvr20's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: stuck at red
Posts: 1,525
jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
no doubt the Deep Fried Mars Bar will top the list
ah the Scots - favourite Scots invention has to be the steam engine (though I stand to be corrected, and i know there's controversy over James Watt v. Robert Newcomen, and the Brummies claim Watt as well as I think he worked in the Midlands though he was Scottish...)
jvr20 is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 6:47 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by jvr20 View Post
ah the Scots - favourite Scots invention has to be the steam engine (though I stand to be corrected, and i know there's controversy over James Watt v. Robert Newcomen, and the Brummies claim Watt as well as I think he worked in the Midlands though he was Scottish...)
neither Watt nor Newcomen can really claim to have invented the steam engine. They merely improved them.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:05 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 3,968
arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

for you Conf

Scottish Inventors and Inventions

The average Englishman in the home he call his castle slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland. At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot, King James VI, who authorized its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson, Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask:

"Wha's Like Us?"

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
arbroath_abroad is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:08 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad View Post
for you Conf

Scottish Inventors and Inventions

The average Englishman in the home he call his castle slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland. At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot, King James VI, who authorized its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson, Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask:

"Wha's Like Us?"

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
we were just the forerunners of Dubai.
get people from poorer countries to do all the hard work for you and then watch the money roll in
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:09 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Doha
Posts: 535
Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arab Pride

A lot of the pre 20th century 'western' industrialists and inventors were non-conformists, eg Methodists, Quakers. This is because, as non-conformists, they were not allowed into the traditional 'respectable' professions, and hence turned their attention to the murky world of business and engineering.

So 'western' religion did have an impact on the development of modern industrial society; without the non-conformists, or their exclusion from traditional occupations, events may well have taken a different course.

The main divergence occurred because of the general Muslim acceptance of the world as it is (insh'allah) and the non-conformist Christian belief, taken to the ultimate by the Yankee puritans, that the world can be made perfect.
Bonny Boy is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:15 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arab Pride

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad View Post
for you Conf

Scottish Inventors and Inventions

The average Englishman in the home he call his castle slips into his national costume, a shabby raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles Macintosh from Glasgow, Scotland.

En-route to his office he strides along the English lane, surfaced by John Macadam of Ayr, Scotland.

He drives an English car fitted with tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, Veterinary Surgeon of Dreghorn, Scotland.

At the office he receives the mail bearing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers, Bookseller and Printer of Dundee, Scotland.

During the day he uses the telephone invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born in Edinburgh, Scotland. At home in the evening his daughter pedals her bicycle invented by Kirkpatrick Macmillan, Blacksmith of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland.

He watches the news on television, an invention of John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the U.S. Navy founded by John Paul Jones of Kirkbean, Scotland.

Nowhere can an Englishman turn to escape the ingenuity of the Scots.

He has by now been reminded too much of Scotland and in desperation he picks up the Bible, only to find that the first man mentioned in the good book is a Scot, King James VI, who authorized its translation.

He could take to drink but the Scots make the best in the world.

He could take a rifle and end it all, but the breech-loading rifle was invented by Captain Patrick Ferguson of Pitfours, Scotland.

If he escaped death, he could find himself on an operating table injected with penicillin, discovered by Sir Alexander Fleming of Darvel, Scotland, and given chloroform, an anesthetic discovered by Sir James Young Simpson, Obstetrician and Gynecologist of Bathgate, Scotland.

Out of the anesthetic he would find no comfort in learning that he was as safe as the Bank of England founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Perhaps his only remaining hope would be to get a transfusion of guid Scottish blood which would entitle him to ask:

"Wha's Like Us?"

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
oh yes and without the Jet Engine (- Frank Whittle - English invention) none of us would be in the Middle East and without the Web (Sir Tim Berners-Lee - English invention) none of us would be posting on BE.
Inselaffen is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.