aprt repairs

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aprt repairs

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Living without hot water at the moment is /doable if you don't mind not having hot water to wash dishes and lukewarm showers.
ny
But come October the water in the pipes will probably noticeably cool and you're doomed to cold showers for a while.

The UAE standard seems to be if the repairs are under 1,000 (or 500 AED) then the tenant pays for it. If it's above it then the landlord (if a good one) pays.

If Millhouse's estimates are correct then quibbling over a few hundred AED is probably not worth the inconvenience versus going without hot water for three months.
That's only "standard" if the tenant accepts those terms which are contrary to Dubai rental laws. Different rules apply in other emirates (if any at all) but no one has to accept those terms.

You can (and should) be reasonable but as a tenant you are not liable for the maintenance. If people stopped giving in to such terms then they would be less common. Ditto the nonsense about repainting on vacating which is also not in the law.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:12 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Ditto the nonsense about repainting on vacating which is also not in the law.
My flat will need repainting, I don't even mind paying for it. If someone came in with UV light, awkward number of stains
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:18 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Fine. I'll bite.

Typical commercial type attitude. Can't see beyond the numbers and can't read properly.

I don't mind spending money to keep the place I live in a decent state of repair. If it's north of 1,000 we won't pay it.

If it's south of 1,000 I can handle that for a number of reasons.
One reason is that it's useful when negotiating because it demonstrates that I'm a rational, normal human being who has the capacity to understand that looking after the apartment not owned by me. When negotiating rent each year if you can wave 1,000 bill to make the rent rise by 2,000 instead of 3,000 for example it helps. If you can demonstrate the maintenance at the end of tenancy then it certainly can help your claim to a full deposit back.

Anyway, that's all intangible and sensible and based on the experiences I've had with landlords here who are reasonable and sensible human beings.
I wouldn't want you managing my accounts...Not strong enough and getting pushed over to easily. You're English right? Act like it
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
My flat will need repainting, I don't even mind paying for it. If someone came in with UV light, awkward number of stains
Ah, poor you iggle. Those marks are called loneliness.

Only 8 more days until pay day bro.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the beginning of a B Movie.

Mission "Oh Mr Landlord , i am all wet can you come fix my leak, and i have no money to pay for repairs"
Landlord "I am sure there is another way we can fix this the problem"
IGGLY you seem to have sex on the brain
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Living without hot water at the moment is doable if you don't mind not having hot water to wash dishes and lukewarm showers.

But come October the water in the pipes will probably noticeably cool and you're doomed to cold showers for a while.
Doesn't affect our showers/baths - different water tank - the one that is buggered only supplies to the kitchen sink.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
Then you have had bad landlords and have rolled over. No question that this kind of thing is the landlord's responsibility.
huh? I don't get you?
In all the apartments I have lived in (7 in total) the water tank has never clapped out - which is why I wasn't sure who is liable for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Options:

1. Get it fixed, ask for money. Might get it, might not. If the LL is a knob then unlikely?
2. Ask him to fix it. If he refuses, you can argue it's his responsibility...but you know you can live without it. Move out and hope he doesn't try deducting it from deposit.
3. Ask him to fix it, he fixes it.
4. Say nothing. Move out. Hope he doesn't notice and you get the deposit back.

To me, as much as I dislike being dishonest or deceitful, option 4 looks pretty solid.

I am gonna see how much the quotes come in for and then will decide what to do. If it's over AED 500, then it'll be option 4.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I wouldn't want you managing my accounts...Not strong enough and getting pushed over to easily. You're English right? Act like it
I'm surprised you can blink and breathe at the same time...or anything that requires more than one train of thought.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 12:58 pm
Banned

I'm surprised you can blink and breathe at the same time...or anything that requires more than one train of thought.
Nothing better than winding someone up; then watching them snap

Tug one of in the toilet to calm down!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Nothing better than winding someone up; then watching them snap

Tug one of in the toilet to calm down!
I've been dealing with a very difficult chap from the Sub-Continent today and TWO deceitful men of North African origin and have managed not to snap.

They'd run rings around you. Try harder.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mission

the landlord is a complete d*ck - reason why i want to move out.
Seems quite common in Dubai... I changed the locks on my apartment and no longer pick up calls coming from the numerous property agencies that he's trying to sell the apartment through.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Seems quite common in Dubai... I changed the locks on my apartment and no longer pick up calls coming from the numerous property agencies that he's trying to sell the apartment through.
I change the locks as soon as moved in. In both apartments in this tower it's worked because you'll be sat watching TV and hey presto, there's a key in the door.

Once, I was quite happily chomping some dinner and the front door just swung open, family walked in. Agent apparently didn't notice any of the furniture or pictures in the hallway and just brought this family through to the living room. I won't repeat what I said but since then I keep the front door locked, which I dislike but saves being rude to people.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kakawax
I change the locks as soon as moved in. In both apartments in this tower it's worked because you'll be sat watching TV and hey presto, there's a key in the door.

Once, I was quite happily chomping some dinner and the front door just swung open, family walked in. Agent apparently didn't notice any of the furniture or pictures in the hallway and just brought this family through to the living room. I won't repeat what I said but since then I keep the front door locked, which I dislike but saves being rude to people.
Are you guys serious - any agent with an ounce decency should be ringing in advance of bringing anyone over.

well I got the quotes - they are around AED 1000-1100, I'm not gonna bother getting it fixed or bringing it to the landlord's attention...let the next mug who takes the apart deal with it.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:08 pm
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay rent on a monthly basis , so each time something of that nature happens , I just get someone to fix it and give me the bill , I snap it , send it to the landlord via Whatsapp then deduct the amount from the rent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.