British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   AppleTV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/appletv-920251/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2018 6:10 am

AppleTV

Morning,

Does anyone know if you can slot a VPN into AppleTV? I'm seeing conflicting and confusing information on the interwebs....

Thanks in advance.
Scampin4K

TheShed Dec 18th 2018 6:30 am

Re: AppleTV

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12610234)
Morning,

Does anyone know if you can slot a VPN into AppleTV? I'm seeing conflicting and confusing information on the interwebs....

Thanks in advance.
Scampin4K

I use Apple TV 4K as my main device for Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC and ITV. I use the old Ghost DNS system to make it look like its in blighty and works very well indeed. As my iTunes Account is also UK based, I can access the full library of Apple Movies and TV thru the same DNS.

Ping me if you need more help.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 18th 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12610238)
I use Apple TV 4K as my main device for Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC and ITV. I use the old Ghost DNS system to make it look like its in blighty and works very well indeed. As my iTunes Account is also UK based, I can access the full library of Apple Movies and TV thru the same DNS.

Ping me if you need more help.

Thanks mate. My iTunes is UK based as well.

I'll research the DNS stuff and shout if I'm stuck. Appreciate it.

martinbkk Dec 19th 2018 4:44 am

AFAIK there's no way to run a vpn on the Apple TV itself but you do have a couple of options. I have a Express VPN account and can use their streaming DNS. Just set the the DNS manually in the Apple tv setup network page, works for me. I have also tried running a VPN on my router which is sloooooooow. A third guess would be if you have access t the sites you want on a laptop or phone then mirror them to the apple tv essentially just as the display. Works but ties up the other device as well.

First is my choice and has been fine so far.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 19th 2018 5:32 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 12610691)
AFAIK there's no way to run a vpn on the Apple TV itself but you do have a couple of options. I have a Express VPN account and can use their streaming DNS. Just set the the DNS manually in the Apple tv setup network page, works for me. I have also tried running a VPN on my router which is sloooooooow. A third guess would be if you have access t the sites you want on a laptop or phone then mirror them to the apple tv essentially just as the display. Works but ties up the other device as well.

First is my choice and has been fine so far.

I use the same VPN so will get the DNS info and give it a go in the new year. Thank you.

martinbkk Dec 19th 2018 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12610692)
I use the same VPN so will get the DNS info and give it a go in the new year. Thank you.

Log in to your account on their web page and they have a set up instructions page. They get all faffy with it but all you just need to follow it through et voila!

Has worked without issue for me running iPlayer here in Bangkok for the last 12 months. I don't use too many other things with it but they should all be fine.

Teddep Jan 16th 2019 11:44 pm

I'm based in Oz, using ITV Hub on the Apple TV 4 via a VPN and can only see the adverts , then just get constant spinning. I can watch ITV on ipad, PC etc. Does yours work ok on Apple TV 4 ?
Cheers

TheShed Jan 17th 2019 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Teddep (Post 12622812)
I'm based in Oz, using ITV Hub on the Apple TV 4 via a VPN and can only see the adverts , then just get constant spinning. I can watch ITV on ipad, PC etc. Does yours work ok on Apple TV 4 ?
Cheers

Yep, Ive got ITV catchup, full iPlayer and Channel 4 catch up working without issues. I use a ghost DNS to get through. I'm based in ME though.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2019 3:31 am

ITV works fine, just bastard adverts are annoying.

Channel 4 - how are you getting that Mr Shed? I've looked for the app but can't find.

TheShed Jan 17th 2019 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12622848)

Channel 4 - how are you getting that Mr Shed? I've looked for the app but can't find.

Cant remember the name of the app, but its from C4 and its only catchup style, same as C5. Im traveling but will check at the weekend.

reddiva Jan 17th 2019 4:15 am

I have the app on the ipad. You have to be on the UK region site not UAE site for Channel 4 and channel 5 ( If that is what you are asking)

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12622850)
Cant remember the name of the app, but its from C4 and its only catchup style, same as C5. Im traveling but will check at the weekend.

Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12622854)
I have the app on the ipad. You have to be on the UK region site not UAE site for Channel 4 and channel 5 ( If that is what you are asking)

Hmm.
My iTunes is UK and I run the box through my VPN.
Channel 5 hasn't ever worked to be honest, it just doesn't load anything. BBC and ITV are dreamy though.

TheShed Jan 17th 2019 4:51 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12622854)

Agreed Red. I have all of my home electronics on my UK iTunes account through VPNs or Ghost DNS

Millhouse Jan 17th 2019 4:53 am

You can't put VPN on apple TV. This is why I got a firestick.

The DNS trick on the apple TV (or just a smart TV) is great and works perfectly for most things. I've done that for years. a decent DNS spoofer will even put you in the UK for iplayer and the US for netflix automatically.

VPN only needed if you want to stream a blocked IPTV service provider.

I've used both, and on balance while I find the firestick a bit plasticy and with a fairly poor menu system, it's a much better "tool" than the apple TV box.

...or you can put the VPN on the router itself but it'll probably slow your internet.

reddiva Jan 17th 2019 8:24 am

Try All 4 that is the name of the channel 4 app on itunes