Apple vs other phones

Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:14 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple vs other phones

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Just install AVG free, anti-virus if this is a worry. It took me 30 seconds to do this and use google play if you want quality control on apps.

Not terribly difficult really.
Kitty - you should go with the iphone for simplicity of use and that "it just works" - Mrs Auto is probably similar to you in terms of tech / gadgets and the iphone is her favourite thing now....

The Samsung S2 (which I have) and the new S3 I think are better devices - but for ease and what you want go with iphone.

Re: apps on Samsung - Google Play made this all so much better....
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:28 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for iPhone - I'd never buy one myself, but they are incredibly easy to use and great all-rounders.

(To my mind the easiest phone to use at the moment is the Nokia N9, but they're getting very hard to find and are a bit of a dead-end, development wise.)

I wouldn't buy a Windows Phone 7 phone now.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 12:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

iPhone
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently got a little gadget called a Newkinetix NK100 - it's a universal remote control IR adaptor which works with iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

It cost £41 off Amazon, is the size of 1/3 a credit card (and about 8mm thick) and is easily the best Boys Toy I've bought in a long time.

All you have to do is to load an App called Re, plug in the NK100 into the charging slot of the i device and then follow the dead simple programming wizard. I set up all the various bits of my home cinema in less than 15 mins and the macro for each activity (like "Watch Cable" or "Listen to Music") all worked first time.

It also has multi-room facility and the programming set up can also be transferred to another person's i device just by sending an email, meaning that only one i device has to be programmed.

If you're looking for a good first easy to use universal remote, or just want something that's more flexible and functional, this gadget is highly recommended.....provided of course you have the Apple devices!

The only downside I've found so far is that for iPad it will only display in portrait orientation, so if you have your iPad in a case connected to a BT keyboard, it's tricky to read.

Last edited by Oyibopeppeh; Jun 21st 2012 at 2:30 pm. Reason: forgot a bit
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
In fact, the only thing that comes close to the iPhone is Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 devices – in particular, the Nokia one.

However, it's not really available over here because WP7 doesn't support Arabic at the moment.
I have the Nokia Lumia 800 Windows 7 phone, purchased here in Dubai. It is supported by the Nokia manufacturers stores (about 4 in Dubai). Cracking phone and I wouldn't touch an iAnything, closed architecture meaning only Apple can produce stuff for it. Loads of free apps available for the windows phone :-)
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:42 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I was asking the same question about a year ago (iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2). I went for the Galaxy S2 which I still have.

Like you, I am not a super tecchie, but have quickly got used to having a high tech mobile. However I probably don't fully use it as much as I should. I do like the S2, but actually do not like the exterior design of the new S3.

I bought an iPad 3 in April and think it is great (again I put a thread on BE to get background opinions).

Because of this, and from talking to friends who have the 4S, I am going to wait til the iPhone 5 comes out (looks like it will be around Sept/Oct) and then change either to the new iPhone 5, or a cheaper 4S.

I think you will find that people feel equally strongly about either the Samsung or the iPhone. The Samsung got the vote on the thread I put on. The iPhone seems to get the majority of the vote on this thread
Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:27 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

A knicker designer simply must have an iPhone, dahhhhhling.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
The fact it's not tied to an app store is a nightmare. There's no quality control, and what's more, for a non-techie, it's a security risk. The amount of viruses on Android phones are all due to the open architecture and open app store approach.
There's no quality control on the iPhone either and it's just as much of a security risk.

So that's really just being a bit of a boogie man.

Makes sod all difference to most people.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

pythonista is an unknown quantity at this point

Apple's engineers are real "Amateur hour" when it comes to security, even worse than Windows. iPhones are definitely the most consumer friendly of the various smart phones though, as long as you don't try to do anything clever!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

I'd go with the iPhone too but not now - wait till iPhone 5 is released in October or so.
You *could* pick up a Galaxy 2 for around AED 1600/1800 now and run with that until Oct. If it's fine for you then keep it. Most of the apps are available on both platforms and the screen is way better (bigger) than iPhone 4.
Unless most of your phone use is calls and text/emails/IM etc the the BB9900 is still tops (IMHO) although showing its age.

Originally Posted by pythonista
Apple's engineers are real "Amateur hour" when it comes to security, even worse than Windows. iPhones are definitely the most consumer friendly of the various smart phones though, as long as you don't try to do anything clever!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by pythonista
Yes. The most successful ever mobile/smart phone series was made by "Amateur Hour" engineers.

Jesus wept there is no hope for you in life.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

ok I phone it is- now do I buy it here or in the UK? or online?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
ok I phone it is- now do I buy it here or in the UK? or online?
Just buy it on the Apple store here, arrives quick and is fine.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 6:57 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
google play if you want quality control on apps
So if you want quality control on an Android phone, you have to stick with a single app store. Hmmm... I thought that was a disadvantage of the iPhone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.